Pointless imperial units rant - 600RR.net
Off Topic & Flame Thrower All non 600RR related banter goes in here...
Sponsored by: Sharp Turn Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pointless imperial units rant

rant/

Gawd do I hate dealing with the imperial units. Doing some number crunching and the client is insisting that I use imperial units.

Makes no damn sense to me. There's just way too damn many annoying and irrational conversions not only in units but names as well. What the hell is a slug? Why are there different commonly used, and ordinarily wrong, descriptions for weight/mass? lbf? lb? lbm? Is the lb referring to pound mass or force? Why the hell would you have lbm and slug? They both describe mass. Fawking hell. And of course there are the smaller and larger units for all measurements that all have stupid numerical conversion factors. Fvck the foot, mile, inch, and any bastard that snuck in decimal inches like the thou. Can't stand the same name used to describe different quantities like a mass ounce or a volume ounce, a statute or a nautical mile. Go lay in a sewage ditch, stuff your throat with dog sh!t and die.

There are only THREE countries in the entire fvcking world that stick officially to the outdated, confusing, and absolutely irrational system and two of them are arguable sh!tholes: Liberia, Myanmar, and the US. Hell, even the country that created the infuriating system doesn't use it.

Edit: And don't get me started on miserable twats that want to mix and match systems.

/rant

Last edited by Lyoha; 04-21-2017 at 10:47 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyoha For This Useful Post:
kcdehart (04-25-2017), tary preisser (04-21-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:02 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
this one's for you

and yes, the pound is actually a unit of force, as is demonstrated by units of pressure, and torque, being force/area and force*distance, the metric equivalents of course being N/m^2 and Nm, where of course, a Newton is a measure of force, derived by F=ma where a is gravitational acceleration in most cases. and since in most cases gravitational acceleration is considered a constant, that quickly explains why pounds are used to describe mass, even though it's not actually a unit of mass.

i know, it's stupid.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Your fault for studying ingeneering... Jajajajaja

(I just assumed you were one)

Honda CBR600RR 2003 - Gone! (the blond)

Honda CBR600RR 2007 - On the road! (the brunette)
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
this one's for you

and yes, the pound is actually a unit of force, as is demonstrated by units of pressure, and torque, being force/area and force*distance, the metric equivalents of course being N/m^2 and Nm, where of course, a Newton is a measure of force, derived by F=ma where a is gravitational acceleration in most cases. and since in most cases gravitational acceleration is considered a constant, that quickly explains why pounds are used to describe mass, even though it's not actually a unit of mass.

i know, it's stupid.
That damn near gave me a seizure. I like the guy and periodically watch his videos. Had no idea the lunacy that is the imperial system went that deep into the abyss of dementia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soponcio Virtual View Post
Your fault for studying ingeneering... Jajajajaja

(I just assumed you were one)
You're right. I'm a mechanical engineer. And even my professors hated the imperial system but had to include it in their exams because, cough, bullsh!t.

I love it when I get to travel outside the states with my wife and finally see her all confused trying to figure out the measurements.

Last edited by Lyoha; 04-21-2017 at 11:29 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:41 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
from now on i'm going to give measurements in fractional metric

i'm 1 and 7/8ths meters tall
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
kcdehart (04-25-2017), tary preisser (04-21-2017)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I'll make sure there's a special seat for you in hell, wibbly. Even if it means going there first.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:00 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You could go fractional Smoots and throw everyone off...you'd be approx 1 1/10th Smoots tall
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:39 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
LMAO, Thanks Lyoha!

work for a UK corp.

Some of the visiting UK engineers have asked if we really do calc's with imperial units....
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:48 PM
Knee Dragger

In my simple mind, the inch is just too fvcken big.

Slow and Scared

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:48 PM
World Superbike Racer

Totally agree. The Brits use both systems which I find weird. In archery and firearms things are measured in "grains" which I find retarded. Like measuring mass with "stone". So completely arbitrary. And don't even get me started on the number of times I've stripped an imperial bolt head using a metric socket. Metric FTW!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:45 AM
Knee Dragger

We still use imperial here in Au to some degree, we buy eggs by the dozen, size drinking glasses and recreational drug doses by ounces, inflate tyres by psi, size wheels, bolts, screws, drill bits, pipe, tubing, fitting, plumbing tennis racquets, bicycle frames with inches, sell oil in 44 gallon drums, weigh fatties by stones, measure tall people with feet and a few other applications that I can't think of right now.

Slow and Scared

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 05:10 AM
World Superbike Racer

We do use some imperial units in Canada too but mostly informal use due to our proximity to the US. For example, most people will give their height in feet and inches and their weight in pounds. We also tend to use PSI for things like tire pressure. We have dozen egg cartons too but "dozen" isn't a unit per-se, rather a count. I can understand why old habits are hard to drop but it really would make more sense to adopt metric for all official uses.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls599 View Post
You could go fractional Smoots and throw everyone off...you'd be approx 1 1/10th Smoots tall
Hah! I have a buddy at MIT and he told me about that measurement. Funny how a frat bro can be memorialized in such a unique way. Kudos to the guy at the city council with a good sense of humor too for allowing the markings on the bridge to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
LMAO, Thanks Lyoha!

work for a UK corp.

Some of the visiting UK engineers have asked if we really do calc's with imperial units....
I can imagine the smirks they give when you answer them yes... I work at a place full of guys that are rooted in the imperial system. Over the years though I finally broke them in with my refusal to give internal reports in anything other than metric unless strictly "asked".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF4iK View Post
Totally agree. The Brits use both systems which I find weird. In archery and firearms things are measured in "grains" which I find retarded. Like measuring mass with "stone". So completely arbitrary. And don't even get me started on the number of times I've stripped an imperial bolt head using a metric socket. Metric FTW!
You'd love working on 90's Jeeps. They make liberal use of both systems in no logical order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloKnt View Post
We still use imperial here in Au to some degree, we buy eggs by the dozen, size drinking glasses and recreational drug doses by ounces, inflate tyres by psi, size wheels, bolts, screws, drill bits, pipe, tubing, fitting, plumbing tennis racquets, bicycle frames with inches, sell oil in 44 gallon drums, weigh fatties by stones, measure tall people with feet and a few other applications that I can't think of right now.
It's only a mater of time before that's whittled down too as the official system is metric and current students are mainly educated in the right way. It's not something that happens over night but consider it a move in the right direction.

Speaking of recreational drugs, back in highschool the sticky stuff was dealt in grams so the potheads were more scientifically current.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 08:37 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
I get ya ...

'09 600RR Black
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 09:24 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoha View Post
It's only a mater of time before that's whittled down too as the official system is metric and current students are mainly educated in the right way. It's not something that happens over night but consider it a move in the right direction.

Speaking of recreational drugs, back in highschool the sticky stuff was dealt in grams so the potheads were more scientifically current.
Yeah, i think so, most will be phased out with younger generations but i get the feeling that things like tyre pressure and plumbing specs are here to stay in the old system.

Slow and Scared

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 12:28 AM
Training Wheel Hero

The worst was in thermo having to convert units...joules, watts, entropy, Q, whatever to BTUs. Screw Carnot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page