Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Denting a Tank - Do It Right!

42K views 90 replies 47 participants last post by  RyanRidesBikes 
#1 · (Edited)
Couple days ago I was denting my tank in 600rr. I was searching a info about it every where. So now I thought that I can help sb to do it right.

First, you must dent your metal tank. Don't hit the tank cover because it will break (like mine)! The best way is to hit around the cover.

When you dent it, you must dent a plastic cover. To do it, you must use a heater (the best is 3kW or more). I had 2 heaters (both 1,5kW). You must heat it from inside (thanks to that the paint from the cover wouldn't fall of).

When the cover is hot you must fast get it on bike and pull hard down on the tank. USE GLOVES - it's very hot!!! Do it quickly, because it's getting cold very fast.

When you do it, than you can heat it on some small area and do the form as you want.

When I will finish my tank, I will show some pics.

Have fun with that :icon_lol:

See less See more
#5 ·
cirtem said:
thanks bro
dent looks good
i was just about to do this to my tank in a couple weeks
did you use a deadblow hammer?
i hear if you put a phonebook on top of your gas cover it wont break
get a vortex cover and your problems solved
I was using a normal rubber hammer :)
the best way is to use a smaller hammer at start. And hit near the cover.
Thank's man! For sure I will buy this vortex cover!
Of course I will also paint all bike. I think that in the next mounth i will show ready bike.
Btw. Does someone have cheap new parts - SCOTTS damper and vortex cover?

#7 ·
yea well if you can find that
i hear the vortex is a pain in the ass to get off tooo
but i know alot of people that went that route when breaking their gas cover
deadblow hammer is the way to go
rubber hammer causes ripples i hear, so im off to get a deadblow

#10 ·
Great job! Next week on things pricks to...Were going to dent the roof of a 2007 z06 corvette.

#18 ·
well to tell you the truth, i just switched mine over...i have owned it for a year and did some wheelies here and there but my buddy just bought an f4i and my other buddies got an f4i and they have been messin around on them and i immediately got hooked....i havent tried it yet but it feels good...also, im waiting for some hydroturf to put on there so i dont slide off

#19 ·
threeonethyrd said:
here, i thought i would post up some pictures as well

Looks like if your a tall guy that would be a perfect spot? kinda makes a perfecet seat! i got it knew trick, high chair knee toucher...lol...nice job dood...i tried stunting once, never could get it, im a track junkie now lol...but you stunters really got some balls too! bump to yall!

#20 ·
cizzle600rr said:
Looks like if your a tall guy that would be a perfect spot? kinda makes a perfecet seat! i got it knew trick, high chair knee toucher...lol...nice job dood...i tried stunting once, never could get it, im a track junkie now lol...but you stunters really got some balls too! bump to yall!
yeah im not a tall guy haha but its nice and comfy...i might adjust it this summer but for right now its all good...thanks man appreciate it

#24 ·
f4stunna said:
as far as the whole knee thing, one of my friends can close his visor on his helmet while doing a highchair with his foot
now that's flexible, damn.

Ordi said:
wow! :surprised

Isn't it too much dent? Now the tank will have about 5l of gas -20minutes of riding :icon_roll :toothy12:
if i'm at the lot, i carry an extra can of gas.

#26 · (Edited)
Ordi said:
yep.
But I like also street riding (doing some terror on the streets :icon_lol: ) so I don't wanted to dent my tank as much as f4stunna done.

a small clip from the sommer holideys in 2006:

RIGHT CLICK -> SAVE AS -the good old 900rr and no HB jet :surprised
48.6 megs, i love high quality footage. downloading now. i'm not allowed to terrorize the streets anymore, i'm on court supervision now. no more tickets til Jan 23rd of 08 or i'm done driving anything for a year.

EDIT: love the song, Slipknot rocks. the cam on the back of the bike.... great footage. mad skillz bro. that clip is goin into my favs collection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.