Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Hondabond in oil. Bad for engine?

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  wibbly 
#1 ·
Just got done replacing my clutch cover and I may have put a little too much Hondabond on when I was sealing it up. I let it sit for probably 30 minutes or so after tightening the bolts and then started the bike to check for leaks. I happened to notice a drop of it in the oil level window after turning the bike off. It seemed to kind of disperse and continue to thin out as the oil settled, almost like the oil was breaking it down. I didn't glob it on so there can't be too much that would have come loose as the engine was running, but just wondering if this kind of thing is too fluid-like to be strained out by the filter? Could it have any adverse affects on the engine if it weren't?

#2 ·
I'd say it's not good. I don't know though; it totally could just get into the oil filter and trapped, but I don't have the experience to say one way or another.

Something that may help someone in the future; when I did my clutch cover, what I did was use a latex glove and my finger to spread the liquid gasket around the edge. Then, I got a paper towel, and pressed it against the inside edge of the perimeter and ran it around. I basically wiped off the gasket that, when the clutch cover is installed and the liquid gasket squeezed flat, would be on the inside.

#3 ·
I spread it on with my finger as well and cleaned up most of what was on the inside of the cover before sticking it on. I think it was just a little too much that combined with the fact I started it after only 30 minutes instead giving the thicker spots more time to dry.

I don't think its going to adhere to anything because of the way it seemed to break down in the oil window. Its fresh oil and a new filter, plus I've already started the bike and revved it a little bit so its already dispersed throughout the oil if it was going to. Guess I'll just wait and see. No leaks around the cover at least lol.

#4 ·
you don't need much of that stuff at all, you can put it on so thin that you can see through it and it'll still seal well. I put a thin tipped applicator on my tube so I can use a very small amount.

a bit of the stuff won't wreck your engine, but a lot can. there is a guy on the other boards who lost an engine on the dyno due to a pickup plugged with case sealant.

#5 ·
Pickup screen would be my concern too. I've seen it plugged with rtv and or Honda bond when dismantling Honda car motors.

#6 · (Edited)
agh man thats my main concern whenever i do anything that requires liquid gasket i alwaya put way too much. I never know if it will be enough so i over do it, then when i put it on im like **** i put way too much.

#7 ·
the cases are going to sit flush against each other. they are both machined surfaces. how much "goop" can you possibly fit between two machined surfaces? it's there to fill any inconsistencies and form a nearly microscopic film.

you can literally put the stuff on as thin as possible and get a nice seal. 95% of the stuff will be squished out of the joint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.