Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

What to do with a bike that sat for 2+ years

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  MCGMB 
#1 ·
So because of work I was relocated to London for the last two years. It was a great opportunity and I couldn't say no. Anyhow I had to move pretty quickly and didn't have a chance to do anything with my 2011 cbr600rr. I left the bike in my parents garage for the last 2+ years. Now that I'm back I just want to know what I need to do to get the bike read for the road again. As I said I left pretty quickly and I left the gas and oil in the bike. The bike was left on stands though so. Any advice would be much appreciate it. Thanks in advance for all the help!

2011 Honda CBR600RR Black with 1,800 miles
MODS:
Full Akrapovic Exhaust
Power Commander V
Power Comander Secondary Fuel Module
Power Commander LCD
Tripage LED PRO IT Complete Package w/turn signal and brake
Tripage LED LED rear passage pegs w/turn signal

#2 · (Edited)
Before starting bike......

Check inside gas tank for rusty surfaces.....if foel or tank interior looks rusty, see threads OTF about fuel pump and rusty tank problems.

Siphon old gas out of tank, replace with new, and a good injector cleaner wouldn't hurt.

Oil s/b ok for start/one easy ride, and then change it.

Chain lube.

Coolant level?

Flush brake fluid after a few rides?

Welcome back and happy riding!

#3 ·
At the very very least drain the gas out.

If it were my bike I'd drain the tank, the fuel lines, rails, and run a fuel system cleaner through...also change out all the fluids (oil and coolant), re-oil the air filter, lubricate the clutch cable, use my horoscope and peek inside the cylinders before dropping some oil into the cylinders by cleaning off the cylinder head first and then removing the spark plugs (unlubricated cylinders will score very easily, especially when the engine block is aluminum), oil the chain enough to ride on it then when warm completely clean that as well as change the oil and filter out again.

Still be aware you may need a new battery, fuel filter/pump, thermostat, and if the oil has sludged up enough you'll kill your pump and need to replace that also...also your valves may be out of spec and some of the valve springs may be weak because despite the engine being off, it is/was still at some point in the combustion process so I would imagine that some of the valves were open and left that way.

These bikes are not meant to be left like that for that long, and while others will likely say half of what I'd do isn't necessary, those things will cost less than any damage in a worst case scenario.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.