Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

caught on cam : friends ram into....

9K views 81 replies 43 participants last post by  Nuttynu 
#1 · (Edited)
CAUGHT ON CAM : friends rams into....

last sunday went for a nice ride...untill

#34 ·
She had just regular jeans. That's why she only had minor scape on the knees and yes I know I do a lot of on and off thortle :( working on it a bit. I think it's just a bad habit.

#35 ·
The weather looks cold and foogy, but that's cause we were at high elevation in the mountains, once you get down. Is was very nice and warm on that day. 65 degree weather. That's awesome weather to us Alaskans

#36 ·
Damn man. DAMN! Really glad she is ok, this summer there seems to be way more motorcycle fatalities (maybe it is just that I am paying attention more to the news). Thank god she was wearing some gear!

I will assume she is a new rider? If so, what was she thinking leading? I completely understand why you were trying to chase her down. I am a noob myself, and the very few group rides I have been on, I let everyone know that.

I think it might be an Alaskan thing, but the way you guys were parked on the road etc... Didn't really strike me as "super unsafe". Hard to explain, but as in "kind of normal, but not" . I bet other Alaskans know what I mean hahahh.

#39 ·
Damn man. DAMN! Really glad she is ok, this summer there seems to be way more motorcycle fatalities (maybe it is just that I am paying attention more to the news). Thank god she was wearing some gear!

I will assume she is a new rider? If so, what was she thinking leading? I completely understand why you were trying to chase her down. I am a noob myself, and the very few group rides I have been on, I let everyone know that.

no she has been riding for a few years now, it was just riders misjudge and mistakes happen.

#37 ·
Poor girl! She's a trooper tho, not so much as a single tear. I can't believe it, she took that wreck like a champion. Glad to see that she is ok, her gear put in work. She got a nice tear in her knee of her jeans, but if that's all she's got I'm thankful! Hope her bike is back in one piece soon, looks like all of you guys will help her make it happen!

Reactions: Nuttynu
#40 ·
well here is something i didnt tell ya , on that day when we were still in town, she had also layed it down at the gas station, she pullled into it and when she front brake there was little unseen sand and bloop low side right there. but yeah she is tough. bike will prolly be total and she was thinking of getting a different bike

#62 ·
Glad she's OK! Seemed like quite an impact!

One of my riding instructors (who used to be a racer) told me that when inexperienced riders take one or both feet off the foot pegs, it often lands them in trouble. Feet on the pegs allow the lower body security needed to ensure that your upper body is loose and you're smooth to counter steer and roll on the throttle. When an inexperienced rider start putting feet down, they teeter side to side on the seat and become ineffective at the controls. Not to mention they usually look down towards their feet to see how far off the ground they are. Feet up, chin up, etc. Just what he said.

Also, I don't mean to sound critical, given that I am a relatively new rider, but is it such a good idea to remain so close to (and sometimes straddle) the median, particularly coming up to and through left curves? Particularly when you add lean into the equation? All it takes is one boy racer or a driver with little experience/cold tires/excessive speed/FWD under steer/all of the above to run wide around one of those. Just a thought.

Happy to see her walk it off. It could've gone a lot worse.

#64 ·
Glad she's OK! Seemed like quite an impact!

One of my riding instructors (who used to be a racer) told me that when inexperienced riders take one or both feet off the foot pegs, it often lands them in trouble. Feet on the pegs allow the lower body security needed to ensure that your upper body is loose and you're smooth to counter steer and roll on the throttle. When an inexperienced rider start putting feet down, they teeter side to side on the seat and become ineffective at the controls. Not to mention they usually look down towards their feet to see how far off the ground they are. Feet up, chin up, etc. Just what he said.

Also, I don't mean to sound critical, given that I am a relatively new rider, but is it such a good idea to remain so close to (and sometimes straddle) the median, particularly coming up to and through left curves?
Particularly when you add lean into the equation? All it takes is one boy racer or a driver with little experience/cold tires/excessive speed/FWD under steer/all of the above to run wide around one of those. Just a thought.

Happy to see her walk it off. It could've gone a lot worse.

its safer to stay in the middleof your lane

#65 ·
I call those guardrails she hit "Death Rails".

Glad your friend was ok. Definitely not riding smart on that particular situation. She (was it a girl?) got spooked when the first truck came out of that turn, and the 2nd vehicle did her in and panicked.

Could've been a lot worse. Someone up there is watching out for your friend.

#66 ·
true, it would had just been a crazy low side or something if those rails aint there, but there was some depth drop behind those rails tho..lol

yes i thinked she got spooked by the second car, they caught her off guard

#68 ·
^ That was bad but could have been way worse. He's lucky his head didn't slide under the guard rail and then slam into one of the pillars. He could have broken his neck or been decapitated.

#71 ·
Just making light that guard rails is neither friend or foe.

Alot of factors play into the crash: water run off, got spooked, straighted up the bike, target fixated but all boils down to RIDER ERROR. Rookie mistakes happen and we all hope for the best outcome when it does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.