Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Flame suit on...sold the Graffiti...picked up an 09 R6 : ) Pics inside.

5K views 45 replies 30 participants last post by  XxArizonaRRxX 
#1 · (Edited)
Gonna miss that 08 Graffiti but it's time for a new chapter....the chapter of no low end torque and gobs of high rpm pullin : ) This bike/motor is definitely strong and IMO, in a straight drag, the RR would take it 0-80mph but then say adios amigo. The 9k-16k rpm pull is pretty damn impressive on this bike. I sold the Graffiti to a kid in town and it seems he'll take good care it.

First photo is my baby in the back-round (RIP), and my new mistress in the forefront.

As I'll be reading mostly on R6 forums from now on, I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for everything over the past year! I learned so much from everyone on here and it's definitely the best support forum on the net. Can't beat Honda! To be honest, I just needed something new/different...a new project. Trust me, today is sad but bittersweet for me.

See less See more
#5 ·
congrats on the new bike, always thought the r6 was better lookin than the cbr

however

"in a straight drag, the RR would take it 0-80mph but then say adios amigo. The 9k-16k rpm pull is pretty damn impressive on this bike"

ur bike reaches 80mph at 9k ?

#6 ·
I believe that is not what he was saying. he was saying the CBR would pull the R6 0-80mph but then the R6 (with top end power) would pull the CBR. The 9k-16K was a different sentence.

#7 ·
DesertSoldier is correct. I meant that (regardless of gear), the CBR would jump the R6 and hold that lead until the R6's top end pulled. 9k-16k rpm, regardless of gear (not first) is a beast.:cruising:

#14 ·
Exactly what I was thinking. I guess Yamaha wasn't thinking about the shorter guys. The bike is at least an inch higher in seat height. Would have given the R6 a thought if the seat height is comparable to the other 600s. Also, I just don't see the R6's power band being practical for the street. Beautiful bike though.

#11 ·
definitely a clean bike. Matte black on front of gas tank, clean undertail, smooth front end transition from nose to head light to windscreen, and the side fairings are awesome. the way they come down and "swoop". o... and can't forget the split seat in the rear so both butt cheeks get their own side.

I think I'm in love. might trade the GSXR for one.

The only thing I don't like is the swing arm/rear fender comb. If you look at all the lines on the bike it's real smooth and inviting. Then you get to the swing arm and it goes to hell fast lol. Also taking off those rear pass pegs would make the tail section look sexier.

Definitely can't hate on a bike like that but... if you brought it to the track I would be forced to flame on!

#12 · (Edited)
Everything you said about the '09 R6 is accurate. The top-end pull on those things are sick! Congrats on the purchase!! Its fun venturing into something new ;)

I had the pleasure of riding an '09 R6 around the track the same day that I had my '09 600RR out there.

My opinions:
~They look sexy
~Ergos are not that bad..almost comfortable on the track
~Top-end pull can't compare on a 600RR
~They will pull in our 600RRs in a long straight
~Brakes felt numb on initial bite but could really dig in
~They hold their lines well
~Absolutely nothing down low...i mean NOTHING
~Makes for a great track bike
~Must always ride it like you stole it to enjoy its power and capabilities.

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! 2008 was the revision year for the R6. The 2008 engine has higher compression pistons, more aggressive cams and different connecting rods & bearings (to improve reliability). With over 50 changes to the motor alone, big improvements were made to get the non-existent mid-range back by incorporating variable v-stacks/variable length intake funnels (YCC-I Yamaha Chip Controlled Intake)....so what I'm saying here is, my 09 has more low to mid-range than the 07 and back R6's. Still lacking huge though absolutely! (Esp. coming from an 08 RR, trust me i notice it)

A good read
http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/designca...41041&segment=Supersport&archive=false&page=1

With that being said, here are my impressions so far.

1. The seat height is 33.5". That's 1.2" higher than the CBR (07+). The ergo's are definitely more "in" the bike but by no means "uncomfortable". I flat foot it all day and I'm 5"11. Ergo's, not an issue.

2. I've adjusted the clutch lever all the way out and this helped with 1st gear take off. She idles at 1,400rpm and NEEDS a rev'ing to get going. I am getting a tune that raises my idle to 1,900rpm which should help. With no low end power, this bike needs to be spooled, yes even a tad from idle to clutch disengaged 1rst gear. Think about it, an idle of 1,400rpm on a bike that makes no power down low is like idling at 200 rpm on the RR. Needless to say, a little rev action on take off is necessary. I can see why people stall these bikes (I haven't stalled it once, bc I did quite a bit of research/reading before buying)

3. OMG does riding this bike make you realize how much torque and low rpm response the RR has. In saying this though, the R6 engine rev's WAY faster than the RR's. It's almost like it WANTS to be spooled. With that being said, it really doesn't matter that the R6 has less torque/responsiveness feel down low bc simply manipulating the throttle will put you in the sweet spot in a second. Just gotta know how to work with what you've got:cruising:

4. The spooling, zipping and whistling sound of the R6 motor and intake is simply gorgeous. Sounds like a frickin whipple cobra. Ok not that cool but you get the idea. Can't be happier about this. I will say though, the valve-train and upper engine chatter on the R6 is more prominent than the RR's. But then again, the RR was as smooth as butter and made little to no chatter whatsoever.

5. I noticed that the R6 takes longer to warm up but once warmed (thermo open) it runs a tiny bit warmer. Not an issue as crusing speeds are still at 168-172. Fan comes on @~210 on the R6 rather than 220 on the RR. Also, the engine gives off quite a bit of heat which is def. felt on your thighs.

6. I need to bleed my brakes so no comparison yet on brake feel. But as crashkhanman stated, initial bite does feel numb.

7. Slipper clutch is great.

8. Shift light is great lol...but by the time you see it you're hauling ass so it's basically a light saying "remember to shift, you're reaching warp speed"

The only gripe I have so far is front end feel. It feels very "heavy". WORLDS apart from the RR. Turning is sometimes rather tricky and not confidence inspiring. My front tire is also bald though (being replaced tomorrow) so I am hoping that after I get a fresh tire on there she will handle differently.

Things I've noticed and that crashkhanman stated:
~They look sexy (yep)
~Ergos are not that bad (true)
~Top-end pull can't compare on a 600RR (true)
~They will pull in our 600RRs in a long straight (yep)
~Brakes felt numb on initial bite (yep)
~Must always ride it like you stole it to enjoy its power and capabilities. (oh yes...this motor likes to spool up)

This morning:

#18 · (Edited)
Definitely get your suspension setup properly for your weight. I cannot describe the immense change this made in my RRs. It's like going from OE sportmaxx tires to pilot powers(or something comparable for that matter).

I was looking at R6s when buying a bike, but the RR won - I felt like the bike was very well suited for myself. Still wish I had an 07+ though. :(

#19 ·
Yep I'm getting a pilot power front tire installed tomorrow as well as getting my suspension setup for my weight. You're right, on my 08 RR, after I had the suspension professionally setup for me, it was a world a difference.

Also changing my oil (Amsoil 10W40 and K&N oil filter) tomorrow, bleeding the front brakes and installing hotbodies front flush-mounts. Gonna be a good weekend working on the new Yammy!:drunk::cruising:

#21 ·
Yep I'm getting a pilot power front tire installed tomorrow as well as getting my suspension setup for my weight. You're right, on my 08 RR, after I had the suspension professionally setup for me, it was a world a difference.

Also changing my oil (Amsoil 10W40 and K&N oil filter) tomorrow, bleeding the front brakes and installing hotbodies front flush-mounts. Gonna be a good weekend working on the new Yammy!:drunk::cruising:
Good luck working on them. They are a PITA.

Other than that they are great bikes to ride, especially on the track/twisties.

#20 ·
Beautiful bike. I would have an 08 r6 but it just isn't comfy for me. I find that it's rather high and the seat is wide. It's definitely a bike for taller people. I'm 5'9

#24 ·
I have not worked on the 09 RR's but I have worked on an 08 R6. Make sure you are patient. Doing the oil change on the R6 was terrible since I made a mess, I'm sure if I worked on it several times it would be 'easy'. Taking all the fairings off was a procress.

Personally I would replace all the big fairing bolts with D-zus fasteners just for the ease of use and quick access.

Then again in my 06 I never take off ANY of the fairings to do an oil change and I never make a mess. The only thing I HATE doing on the RR is changing the rear tire. As for the Ninja 650 I have, it's naked so easy as pie.

In the end it's all the same once you get a routine down.

#25 ·
I'll admit that Honda does have some pretty complicated assemblies. owning all Suzuki before my 07 600RR I thought to myself how much different could it be, and i was in for a suprise. Honda's fairings, tank, air box assembly take forever to work with even after doing it 100 times. Suzuki is much easier, and Yamaha the same.

#26 ·
beautiful bike. congrats. it was between this and the cbr when i bought my first bike. i'm 5'6", so the cbr won. i'd still love to pick up an r6 though. the only thing i'm not too big a fan of is the holes left in the tail fairings after you remove the pass pegs. aesthetically speaking, it takes away from the cleanliness of the bike.

#41 ·
I second this motion!!!

Haha just kidding. Congrats on your new moto!!

#30 · (Edited)
LOL:drunk:

Couple new pics! Just ordered my integrated LED flashing tail-light. Getting new Pilot Powers on today, changing oil to Amsoil 10W40 and K&N filter plus installing my hotbodies flushmounts. Also getting my suspension setup for my weight. Gonna be a fun weekend. The modding has just begun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.