Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Would you do it? 2012 Honda CBR 600 for a 2011 Ducati 848 EVO

5K views 56 replies 21 participants last post by  Moeman 
#1 ·
So I was helping my friend look for his first bike today when I came across a 2011 Ducati 848 EVE with 3k miles on the odo for $10,400, the dealer said I could in all likelyhood trade my CBR in and put $1k down and she would be mine. I am seriously contemplating this, would you guys pull the trigger?

#2 ·
First issue its a dealer saleman...

Second it's sound almost too easy...

Third it's probably in need of an oil change at 3k so now 6k and 8k and trust me that's some decent $$ to be lost for a good cause.

If it was a 1199 or 989 I'd jump all day

#5 ·
At 7500 miles it will be due for its first scheduled service which can start at around $900. That price can vary from dealer to dealer. I love my 1098S and have little to no issues but is currently in the shop for a failed rod bearing... That repair alone is $6000+... Thank god I still have the warranty... I can give you loads of info on the Ducati's if you want so you aren't buying a bike that you don't know much about... just PM me and I will give you any info you need and let you know of all the known issues Ducati's have had...

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#6 ·
Like others have said, if you got the cash to throw away at maintenance go for it!

What color is the bike?

Its a 2011 model, so Ducati have gone through all the gremlin problems. But have heard that they haven't fixed the expanding tank problem :confused1

If anything PM "Handy man" he's got a Ducati.

#8 ·
Idk man. Probably not. One of the great things about the rr is just being able to ride the piss out of, and not having to think twice about it. But it is different. And sometimes you gotta satisfy the itch of curiosity. If u can afford to scratch it, why not?

I had the cbr1krr itch a couple months back. I scratched it. If it wasn't for the physical size of the bike, I would have kept it. I just found it was a little bit to big for what I was looking for.

#9 ·
i took the 848 for a test ride the other day, couldnt wait to get off of it ...
I dnu about you but it is no where near the comfort level of the cbr, id advice you keep ur balls at home when riding the 848. the ride fealt rough, it jerks alot at low rpm.

#10 · (Edited)
It is a whole different animal; dry clutch, much more aggresive rider triangle, torquey engine. I have never ridden one yet, but wouldnt mind trying it although something tells me I will never like it as I do the RR.
Likin the new sig pic saleh :+1:

Try before you buy; if you are in love, work the price down by mentioning the oil change that is just around the corner and check the bike very effing carefully. Ducatis as most concur are maintenance whores and repairs can be quite suicidal for your wallet. Best of luck.

#11 ·
It is a whole different animal; dry clutch, much more aggresive rider triangle, torquey engine. I have never ridden one yet, but wouldnt mind trying it although something tells me I will never like it as I do the RR.
It's a wet clutch buddy.

With that said, I agree with pretty much everything else. It is a more aggressive seating position, and not many people appreciate those kind of ergos because not many people understand why they are like that and what the benefit is to ergos being that way, racing. :cruising:

Two riders can be identical in height, weight, arm length and inseam, though have totally different opinions on ergos because of riding style.

I happen to favor MOST race ergos. Only bike I had issue with thus far is the Triumph 675R, to me..it was much more aggressive in the saddle than the 848 or 1198, which ducati's are notorious for their race ergos.

My opinion to OP, if you don't have much experience or desire to race/track a bike, you more than likely will not enjoy the ergos of the 848 EVO. Riding a twin these days takes more effort than a inline, which also takes getting use to.

Good luck deciding.

#12 ·
It's a wet clutch buddy.

With that said, I agree with pretty much everything else. It is a more aggressive seating position, and not many people appreciate those kind of ergos because not many people understand why they are like that and what the benefit is to ergos being that way, racing. :cruising:

Two riders can be identical in height, weight, arm length and inseam, though have totally different opinions on ergos because of riding style.

I happen to favor MOST race ergos. Only bike I had issue with thus far is the Triumph 675R, to me..it was much more aggressive in the saddle than the 848 or 1198, which ducati's are notorious for their race ergos.

My opinion to OP, if you don't have much experience or desire to race/track a bike, you more than likely will not enjoy the ergos of the 848 EVO. Riding a twin these days takes more effort than a inline, which also takes getting use to.

Good luck deciding.
Damn it! I apologize sincerely for that. I hate it when people give out wrong info let alone do it myself. But wow, I have always wanted a 675R, had no idea the ergos were more aggressive than Dukes..........SHI.T!

#15 ·
We had a very nice 848 evo in our shop a few months back. I love how it looks in street form, thing is, it's just too close looking to the bike I already have, especially in person. That and the fact that I HATE the dry clutch and prefer an inline engine, I'd just rather hold on to mine and stay happy. It's a very nice machine though, but I wouldn't throw that much money at a bike that isn't any different than the others and is bone stock. That bike in white was a great deal of inspiration to painting my fairings completely white though. Ultimately the only thing I like about it is how it looks anyways...

#36 · (Edited)
:+1:Was thinking the same, even more so when X chimed in..lol

You know I ride a 675R and to me I see no difference what so ever in its ergos in comparison to the RR it's very similar to my 03 then Miss O'Seven where my 03 you are on the bike but in the bike for Miss O'Seven just like anything you got to try it yourself before making a judgement
I agree Moe, and I don't have any idea why it felt so awkward to me to be honest..it just does.

I have no idea why I am sensitive to the ergos of the triumph, though I don't find the 600RR to be as comfortable to me as the 1098/1198 either.

@ http://cycle-ergo.com/, they say the Triumph has a Knee Angle of 78/Forward Lean of 45 for my height/inseam.

The 600RR, 79/43

Then the 1198..lol 78/47, same Knee Angle as the Triumph, though most forward lean of all and I find it comfortable. There is very little pressure on my wrist and my core is very strong, so I think it really comes down to my hip position in the saddle.

Though like I said, the high knee/hip felt more aggressive on the 675R than the 1198 I was looking into/demo'ing. :shakehand

They changed the ergos of the S1KRR and Kawi ZX10R, those both feel much better to me in 2012 form than previous models. I know what I like, it is just difficult choosing when there are so many I like..lol

#22 ·
Wow all the mis informationbeing put out... the ducati superbikes are a different breed altogether compared to the CBR's. They aren't for everyone but some love them, like me. Yes the motor does not like being under 25mph, it will buck and snort telling you to stop being a b***h and give it some gas. The slowest I go is 30mph in 2nd gear. This can be helped by changing the gearing( sprockets)

No the expanding/warping fuel tanks have not been fixed with the pre-2010 bikes.

#27 ·
Sorry, I was thinking of the 1098's excuse me, my hands are up in the air don't shoot. On a serious note, I'm pretty much use to ducati's having dry clutches from work. Regardless of that silly fact, it still sounds like my dirt bike... and my dirt bike does not sound cool. No need to agree with me, but I find it to be quite true.

#29 · (Edited)
Relaxed fellas...I was just about to come back after the thought of my post randomly popped in my head after a short nap and while taking a shower to get over my hangover from last night, to correct myself about the 1098 and 1198. Oh and furthermore about the tank issue...it was not corrected but in the same breath, I haven't had an issue with the tank...not sure what the ethanol level has to be to cause the tanks to expand!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

#40 ·
I love these bikes but I don't know if I could own one. This may seem like a stupid reason but the gas mileage is pretty bad on these bikes. I'm just worried that I would be on a good mountain road, get carried away and not find a gas station after 200 miles of spirited riding. I know it's petty but some reviews have it pegged at less than 30 mpg under those conditions. At a 3.75 gallons of fuel, that's not gonna last me very far.

#37 · (Edited)
Ct
Thanks for the technical info & that web link I did not know such info existed which is very helpful based on my dimensions the numbers were 61/39 for the RR , 64/41 for the 675R , 61/45 for the 848

Reactions: CBR Time
#38 ·
:thumbup: You're welcome mang! :biggrin:

Another thing we did at the DPG was graph a verticle/horizontal line at the pegs, and another at the triple tree. Then plot points where we would like to have more or less -/+ adjustment for rider comfort. You can really pin point your ergos and basically make any bike feel as comfortable in the saddle as the one you liked with adjusting rear sets, clip ons and triple trees.

You can literally spend hours at that site..lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.