Do not let the Rain scare you away - Page 2 - 600RR.net
Riding tips A good place to gain &, share knowledge , information and tips about safe enjoyable riding .

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^ hahaha "not unless you're wearing a paper bag" funny.
I remember taking my f2 out in the rain, it was sooo much fun sliding the rear and spinning the rear out. unfortunately, I'm not going to take that chance with my rr....no sir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omid View Post
However the one thing I really hate is when my visor gets fogged up from the inside. then I have to open it up to get the fog to go away and I get a face full of rain . on top of that when you close the visor back down now you have water drops on the inside part of the visor.
I had the same problem. Is there any way to combat this? I hated it because I felt like I couldnt see anything.
post #33 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:25 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
its raining this weekend, and I am going to be out there, woooohoooo,

any advice on a cheap rain coat?

R.I.P. P H A T S T U D

Stickies down!!!!! GEAR UP!!!!!!!

MOTORCYCLE PIC GAME PT. 2 RESULTShttp://www.600rr.net/vb/38-pictures-video-sound-clips/256112-motorcycle-picture-game-results.html

post #34 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:48 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuuScbr View Post
its raining this weekend, and I am going to be out there, woooohoooo,

any advice on a cheap rain coat?
http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/index.htm

I don't ride in the rain much anymore unless I get caught in it. (*I've just found out that weather in AZ is as predictable as it is in Texas..lol) I enjoy riding, not being soaked.

That being said, as many miles as I have in the wet (work/pleasure), riding in the rain doesn't bother me at all. It's getting wet that does, as I don't always carry my rain gear.

Currently own:
09' 600RR | Jade (ASV Shorties / Jardine RT-One)
96' 900RR | Jessica Alba (Wiseco/Erion/D&D/RaceTech/too many to list)

MSF Basic Rider Course Locations - http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?
Houston Press News - http://www.houstonpress.com/2005-10-...speed-racers/1
Wind Chill Calculator - http://www.ridemyown.com/windchill.shtml
A* Ridge Waterproof Riding Boots Review - http://www.600rr.net/vb/75-600rr-net-product-reviews/204100-review-%2A-ridge-waterproof-riding-boots.html
post #35 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Moto GP Racer

I love riding in the rain though usually do not have the proper gear on as it usually happens when on my way home. One thing Norman didn't mention or I could have missed it is the lines painted on the road especially if they are new. Last time I was out in the rain I almost dropped it cause I put my foot on a brand new double yellow and my foot slipped right out from under me.

2004 600RR Black/Silver

DDM 55W 5000K H.I.D.'s
Custom made fiberglass FE
Black windshield (painted)
Hotbodies flush mounts
yosh full carbon exhaust
PCIII
chrome wheels
custom blue LED lighting
post #36 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I rode in the "rain" for the first time today. Kind of brought me back to my younger MX days with the back-end sliding around all over the place, except the consequences of putting my RR down versus my WR426 are a LOT costlier. The lack of traction wasn't really my main concern. I don't see how you guys deal with the water that builds up on your visor..

Anyways, decided that I'm too old for this sh!t. Plus when it rains, it's a good opportunity to drive my cage to keep everything lubricated (and a free car wash ) and the battery from going completely dead since my bike is my daily driver.

**2006 with Repsol kit**
-Full Akra Ti exhaust
-PCIII
-Flush Mounts
-DIY O2 sensor eliminator
-DIY FE
-Tripage Hugger LED mod (SICK!)
-EVAP canister GONE (must-do for aftermarket plastics on CA bikes)
-6k HIDs
-1/+2 520 conversion
-Black chinese rearsets
-Tinted DB windshield

My $.99 DIY O2 (oxygen) sensor eliminator
post #37 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitewing117 View Post
I had the same problem. Is there any way to combat this? I hated it because I felt like I couldnt see anything.
Dish soap...

Just put a little on a rag and polish it onto the inside of the visor, make sure its a pH neutral one though...

There are a few commercially available products that will do the job such as this but they are not recommended for motorcycle helmets as they may damage the visor (turn it milky) If you want to use the commercial stuff test it out at the hinge area for a week or two first, just in case...
post #38 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:19 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
1. Some riders think when the rain starts to come down, so should the garage door, tucking the bike away until the sun shines again the following spring. Unfortunately, they're missing one of the best motorcycling experiences. Riding in the rain can be fun as long as you know what to expect and how to change your riding accordingly.

First of all, clothe yourself properly. A good rain suit, gloves, boots, and perhaps an electric vest, can keep even the most persistent storm from soaking you. But most importantly, you must change the way you handle the motorcycle. Throttle adjustments need to be made smoothly and in small increments; use less lean angle; gradually apply your brakes and get your braking done early.

2. Be wary of intersections when riding in wet conditions. We all know about the oils in the pavement that surface after a rain, but what about the oil that was already there? Any place in the road where cars come to a stop will have a higher concentration of the slick stuff. The rain makes it worse. You may not be able to spot this while riding, so it's best to decrease your speed when approaching intersections. Don't run yellow lights, because if you have to turn or brake quickly chances are you'll encounter a traction problem. When stopped at a red light, check the rear-view mirror for cars that could slide into you from behind. Also, double your following distance so as not to be surprised by cars stopping suddenly in front of you.

3. Two things we've noticed that drastically reduce traction during wet weather are manhole covers and sealer pavement. Both of these are like black ice when it's raining. When traveling in a straight line they pose less of a threat, but be sure to scan well ahead before you turn the bike to enter an intersection. Get off the brakes early and take a line that's clear of traction-limiting obstructions. Sealer pavement is usually darker than the surrounding blacktop. It can be found in town or on rural roads, and it comes in large patches or smaller sections where it's used for crack repair. If you encounter either of these traction inhibitors resist braking or accelerating hard. If you have to change your line or turn over a greasy section, keep your hands relaxed on the clip-ons and don't lean the bike any more than necessary.

4. Although this may seem obvious, it is amazing how many people we see riding in an area of the lane that is wet even though an adjacent area is dry. Dry pavement offers superior traction and maneuverability, so make sure you continually place yourself in the driest section of the lane. If you can force yourself to slow down and be relaxed, you will find that rain riding (and even touring) can teach you how to be a better and more confident rider. City riding in stormy weather is by far the most nerve-racking, but just because the clouds roll in doesn't mean you can't ride almost every day. Remembering a few pointers can make riding in the rain easier and safer than you think. And besides, who wants to garage their motorcycle for five months out of the year?
So you're telling me that you ride that pretty bike in the rain?

08 cbr 600rr
hot bodies flush mounts
Tripage IT
DDM 8k hi/lo beam hids
Honda rear seat cowl
Puig double bubble race screen
Shogun Frame Sliders
more to come
post #39 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk604 View Post
rain = fun (if smaart)
exactly. I've learned my lesson from a stupid mistake in my first Jetta during high school.
post #40 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 06:34 AM
Knee Dragger

i cant agree more... some of the best times i've had riding were in the inclament weather

looking at next years options
post #41 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitewing117 View Post
I just picked up a Shoei X12 and it came with a PINLOCK visor.
That thing works unbelievably well at keeping the inside of my visor
from fogging up.

Peripherally, I could see the area around the pinlock insert fogging up,
but the main area stayed fog free.

http://www.pinlock.nl/en/
post #42 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Knee Dragger

great write up
post #43 of 83 (permalink) Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec3 View Post
I just picked up a Shoei X12 and it came with a PINLOCK visor.
That thing works unbelievably well at keeping the inside of my visor
from fogging up.

Peripherally, I could see the area around the pinlock insert fogging up,
but the main area stayed fog free.

http://www.pinlock.nl/en/
The pin lock works really well, but on the Nolans at least they get a nasty curve that doesn't sit flat inside the visor. The top seal on mine doesn't either, so there were times that it was like looking through a fish bowl with water running between the pin lock insert and the visor. Only thing missing was the gold fish.
Since one of the posts on my visor broke though I haven't been using it.

What I have been finding works reasonably is to crack the visor just a tiny amount, just enough to let some air flow through, and seal the top of the visor with insulating tape.
Looks a bit rough, but works ok.

And for rain gear, I like a good one piece over suit, the DriRider gear works quite well.
It is not uncommon for them to leak, so just keep taking them back until they get sick of you and give you one that doesn't. I swapped out three the first time I got some, and this time around it was the second suit before I got a waterproof one.
Steer well clear of Fieldshear though. I bought one of theirs thinking that the English should be able to make something waterproof if anyone can. How wrong I was. It leaked everywhere, through the seams, through the fabric. Very disappointing. Just had to ride within ten miles of water to get wet in it.

One thing to add, be smooth and don't ride like a pu55y. It's usually when you get all trembly kneed at the idea of a wet road that things start going pear shaped. Just relax and ride, with a bit more caution than normal. Same with wind, just relax and let the bike move. You'll get blown around a lot less than if you try to fight it.

You don't need a licence to drive a sandwich.
post #44 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Knee Dragger

I 100% enjoy riding in a light rain. If it's cool enough that I don't get hot in my rain gear.
post #45 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Pocketbike Racer

I was unsure of whether or not I really wanted to ride in the rain last year until I took the MSF course. My instructor was one of those guys that rode year round and in any conditions (he had 50,000 miles on his 07 1000rr last year) and told us we shouldn't be afraid of it as it only takes away 20% of your traction on good tires. Is this true? I've never been afraid to ride in the rain since, but I was curious as to the validity of the statistic.
post #46 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Pocketbike Racer

don't forget to lube/oil the chain after riding in the rain
post #47 of 83 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Has 1 Gold Star

I like it .
post #48 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Training Wheel Hero

i rode the bike to the gym the other day and didnt bring my helmet. it rained when i got there and driving home was hell. every rain drop felt like a ninja start being whipped at my face. guess its my own fault for not bringing the helmet tho
post #49 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 05:53 PM
World Superbike Racer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by houdini26 View Post
i rode the bike to the gym the other day and didnt bring my helmet. it rained when i got there and driving home was hell. every rain drop felt like a ninja start being whipped at my face. guess its my own fault for not bringing the helmet tho
you didnt have your.... HELMET did you say??... do you know the jaws theme music, thats what i`m hearing in my head right now. you best not talk that **** round ere

post #50 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Knee Dragger

Had my first ride in the rain this week. Icon PDX rain jacket in holy **** yellow worked awesome. Tires stuck like glue. Only thing was water wouldn't clear from my visor. Had to keep wiping it off with the back of my glove.

Stock 2006 with flush mounts. That's about it.

For Sale!
Bell Star Cerwinskie in Medium

post #51 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 12:44 AM
Moto GP Racer

if you want to have a great time. do a track day in the rain!!! i had a blast! it was like it was my own private track. there were times where i did 15 min and didnt even see another bike!! learned a lot of throttle control and hard braking as well!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcore View Post
Duct tape is like the Force, it has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe lmao
post #52 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 07:39 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorcher27 View Post
Had my first ride in the rain this week. Icon PDX rain jacket in holy **** yellow worked awesome. Tires stuck like glue. Only thing was water wouldn't clear from my visor. Had to keep wiping it off with the back of my glove.
I don't have a bike yet. But spray some rain x or wax your shield. So when it does rain it should slide right off.
post #53 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,651 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorcher27 View Post
Only thing was water wouldn't clear from my visor. Had to keep wiping it off with the back of my glove.
Just turn your head sideways, the wind blows the water right off.

Don't fear the water.

Iím jealous of all the people that haven't met you.
post #54 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:42 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalg00kster View Post
I don't have a bike yet. But spray some rain x or wax your shield. So when it does rain it should slide right off.
I was just going to post that! I use the Honda polish stuff if I have it or Rain-X and then like right above - just turn my head slightly and instant clear visor.

Damian
post #55 of 83 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Pocketbike Racer

You can bet ill be on my bike in the rain as long as the wind is not to bad.

2008 CBR1000RR
APEX adjustable clip ons, M4 Slip on, just over 5k miles. New and ready to be abused.
post #56 of 83 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 02:02 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03cbr-rider View Post
I remember taking my f2 out in the rain, it was sooo much fun sliding the rear and spinning the rear out. unfortunately, I'm not going to take that chance with my rr....no sir.
Haha had the same bike as you. The F2 would slide real clean. Had to try a bit harder than I do with the RR though haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
Just turn your head sideways, the wind blows the water right off.
After years of riding I just figured this out today on the way to work.

My small tip is to get a helmet sock. I have a Sparco one and it works great at keeping you warmer around the neck and keeps the visor from fogging up by covering your mouth. Also having something over your mouth when you breath helps you feel warmer. Makes the helmet more comfortable too IMO.

07 600RR

Arrow Ti/CF, Protons, Tripage Tail-light and Tag Bracket, Speigler Custom Lines, Puig DB, PCV, 1kRR Monoblocks, CL XBK5 pads...whats next?

WTB - Annitori Quickshifter
post #57 of 83 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Knee Dragger

road in the rain a couple times, not my thing thoo lol
post #58 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Knee Dragger

i always assumed riding in the rain wore out parts on the bike faster. and also what about chain lube, does rain riding require more frequent chain maintanence
post #59 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07RR guy View Post
i always assumed riding in the rain wore out parts on the bike faster. and also what about chain lube, does rain riding require more frequent chain maintanence
The rain isn't going to harm anything, but yes, you will need to lube your chain more frequently. Halve whatever maintenance interval you currently have on it.
post #60 of 83 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:36 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
If i get caught in the rain i dont mind. But, if its raining im not gonna be like lets go for a ride. I do not have a problem controlling the bike in the rain, i just think its dangerous with other motorists on the road. Visibility is a lot less and making people even harder to see u.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page