Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

How to improve your riding skills.

26K views 47 replies 39 participants last post by  SoulSearcher 
#1 ·
My Contribution.... I belong to alot of forums, and have alot of experience, both years and miles. I'm by no means an expert, but I feel I've gotten pretty good at what I do.

Noting that this board draws some fairly new riders (as well as quite a few who care about them doing it right) I thought that this might be a good spot to share one of the tips I give to riders who are trying to improve their riding, so here goes:

EVERY ride should be spent working on technique. You should read and study all you can (I recommend Keith Codes' Twist of the wrist II).
When you get on the bike you should have ONE technique in mind that you need to work on - Looking through the corner, keeping your head up, body position, scanning with your eyes, relaxing your grip on the bars, smooth throttle control, etc, etc..
Work on that technique for that ride, and as many rides as it takes to make it second nature, then shift to another technique till it's second nature, etc..
No matter how long you've ridden and how confident you feel, know what your weakest point is and be working on it for the next ride. A ride that you're not working on is a wasted ride.

Sometimes riders get caught up trying to ride someone else's ride, or trying to work on 4 different things at once, then get frustrated by lack of improvement, when all they really need to do is work on ONE technique at a time and they will find overall improvement and understanding through that one at a time method, and eventually find huge gains overall without getting themselves in too deep and while feeling the success of getting better.

Think in your mind right now about what single technique you'll work on with that next ride, and make a habit of it...

See less See more
#36 ·
Very very well put and excellent advice. I highly recommend following this train of thought and of having ONE thing to work on each time you ride. This is how we coach at the California Superbike School and how I apply Keith Code's techniques in my own riding and past racing.

Why don't we start a list of some of the most important techniques/skills to work on so people can choose one and try to apply it to their riding.

I'll start by suggesting throttle control which is the first technique we teach at CSS because it is so important and so fundamental. Good throttle control as Keith Code says is, "rolling on the gas smoothly, evenly and consistently as soon as possible once the bike is turned." It helps to stabilize the bike and to ensure that you have a predictable line through the turn. :cruising:

#43 ·
as Keith Code says is, "rolling on the gas smoothly, evenly and consistently as soon as possible once the bike is turned."
I believe it is "Once the throttle is cracked on it is rolled on evenly, smoothly and constantly throughout the remainder of the turn." ;) #truth

#38 ·
3. Body position (relaxed hands & arms, grip the tank w/thighs, etc)

#42 ·
You should read and study all you can (I recommend Keith Codes' Twist of the wrist II).
The books I recommend:

Twist I and II by Keith Code
Proficient Motorcycling by David L Hough
Pace 2.0 by Nick Ienatsch
Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch

These are all on my Google Play Books, and I re-read them every now-and-then.

trying to ride someone else's ride, or trying to work on 4 different things at once, then get frustrated by lack of improvement
As the old saying goes "jack of all trades, master of none". I would recommend the exact same thing, by working on ONE thing at a time. For example, go to a parking lot and spend a few hours practicing emergency braking ONLY. Then another day, practice slow turning / figure 8's etc.

You always need to practice and refine your skills. There is always improvement to be had.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.