Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

How to improve your riding skills.

26K views 47 replies 39 participants last post by  SoulSearcher 
#1 ·
My Contribution.... I belong to alot of forums, and have alot of experience, both years and miles. I'm by no means an expert, but I feel I've gotten pretty good at what I do.

Noting that this board draws some fairly new riders (as well as quite a few who care about them doing it right) I thought that this might be a good spot to share one of the tips I give to riders who are trying to improve their riding, so here goes:

EVERY ride should be spent working on technique. You should read and study all you can (I recommend Keith Codes' Twist of the wrist II).
When you get on the bike you should have ONE technique in mind that you need to work on - Looking through the corner, keeping your head up, body position, scanning with your eyes, relaxing your grip on the bars, smooth throttle control, etc, etc..
Work on that technique for that ride, and as many rides as it takes to make it second nature, then shift to another technique till it's second nature, etc..
No matter how long you've ridden and how confident you feel, know what your weakest point is and be working on it for the next ride. A ride that you're not working on is a wasted ride.

Sometimes riders get caught up trying to ride someone else's ride, or trying to work on 4 different things at once, then get frustrated by lack of improvement, when all they really need to do is work on ONE technique at a time and they will find overall improvement and understanding through that one at a time method, and eventually find huge gains overall without getting themselves in too deep and while feeling the success of getting better.

Think in your mind right now about what single technique you'll work on with that next ride, and make a habit of it...

See less See more
#2 ·
Simply basic but very critical advise i made this a sticky you are so good to us
** Rizoma addicts ** that i got to say thanks for the great service

#19 ·
when i first started on mine, i was getting frustrated bc i wasnt hitting the right shifting/throttle placements accordingly and not feeling to comfortable on my bike (as in my riding position) but i worked on each (on different rides) and can now feel comfort settling in....i rode in dirt when i was a child but being on the street is a different playing field.

Good Post!

#22 ·
thanx for the info.

#25 ·
This was very helpful. I've been looking for ways to improve my riding posture. it seemed that on rides more then 15 minutes long My wrists and hands would start to hurt.
figured out these things. 1) sitting up too tall 2) gripping the throttle/ grip WAY TOO HARD! (elbows locked outta fear) 3) not leaning properly. I went on a 2 hour ride yesterday and one way I worked on riding posture. Now i figured out if I tuck just a LITTLE bit more. I get more bloodflow to the hands and wrists. Also On the way back I worked on my elbows being straight. Man that made the ride more comfortable. Thank you for this post!

#26 ·
I just recently watched and read Twist II after seeing all the hype about it. I must say, eventho Ive been riding for 15 years now, it has greatly improved my riding abilities. I also feel far more confident in my abilities then I ever did. Really is worth a watch/read!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.