Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Totaled the Broncos bike

7K views 62 replies 29 participants last post by  SpdyG_AK 
#1 ·
So I'm finally feeling up to sitting at the laptop and type one handed (broken wrist) and explain the demise of my CBR...

On Thursday Nov. 14th I was heading to the house after riding the afternoon and stopping in for dinner with two friends to work on some LEDs for one of them. I hit a median at about 40-50 (guess) that I did not see as we were preparing to turn I think I looked in my mirror to see the two bikes behind me to make sure they knew we were turning. The median was not marked or painted and although I knew it was there (in hindsight) I took my eyes off the road for just a second and that was enough to not be fully aware of my surroundings. The bike behind me locked his brakes tried to avoid me and hit the median, went down but he is okay. Bike took most of his damage. The 3rd just pulled over in serious shock, he's only been riding for a month and saw his two friends go flying.

Lacerated spleen. 5 broken ribs. Broken right wrist. Collapsed lung (internal bleeding and a puncture in my lung). Thanks to my Icon helmet and Shift jacket and gloves or it would be worse. A bit of rash on the knees and shins since I was just wearing jeans. I have not seen the bike in person but volcom440 has it at his house. I will add pics below.

I spent 4 days in the ICU with a chest tube and watching my spleen to decide if they needed to remove it (luckily no). Three days in the PCU to ensure I my spleen was good and wait for my chest tube to stop draining. One more day after the chest tube was removed and I got to go home.

On the first day in the PCU my chest tube got clogged and my lung collapsed again and they had to open m up to determine with a scope how bad the damage was. The doc decided that he needed to clean out my chest and repair the damage to my lung. Since he was in there he went ahead and screwed and plated 3 of my ribs.

The week after being out of the hospital I had the surgery on my wrist. Doc said the end of the bone was smashed and he did the best he could putting it back in place. More plates and screws.

So now I am home recovering spending most of my time in my power recliner- big help as broken ribs are the worst for breathing, coughing, laughing, hiccups and generally trying to move.

I am moving around better now but can't walk very far before the ribs take over and I have to sit and support my chest. Looking at about 2-3 more weeks before I can consider returning to work.

Pics upcoming...

See less See more
#3 ·
pics

Trying to get comfortable

My left glove split. 0nly damage to my hands

Good thing there is elbow armor in my jacket. Only the elbow damaged

You can see where I slid on my face

And finally both knees looked like this

#4 ·
Bike pics

Here are a few pics of the bike. It doesn't look that bad initially but until I see it in person and see under the fairings...

So obviously the frame slider did it's job. The mirrors and tail took it hard. Interested in if the subframe is damaged and I'm sure the forks are toast. Both rims are bent and Nick said the front rim is actually split. My foot peg broke off and the handle bars are bent. Have to look at the triple tree and all that but I have full coverage and the insurance says just let them know when I'm ready since I'm in no shape to ride anyway and I'll get estimates and see if it's a total or not.

#6 ·
Heal up man, crashing always sucks.

On a serious note, good quality gloves should not rip like that. I had my Five gloves fail on me when I crashed and the stitching came apart as soon as my hand hit the ground, got a nice cut on my palm to remember the day.

What's with the frame slider? Did the bracket break or what?

Either way, glad you're still alive and somewhat well, heal up and hop back on 2 soon enough.

#7 ·
Heal up man, crashing always sucks.

On a serious note, good quality gloves should not rip like that. I had my Five gloves fail on me when I crashed and the stitching came apart as soon as my hand hit the ground, got a nice cut on my palm to remember the day.
This is true. Those gloves shouldn't have shredded like cheese mang. Was wondering where you were because I see you post often enough.

Heal up. You're are still breathing and you've learned another thing in life. Sounds painful, damn.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
Damn. Do you remember all of the crash? Did you go head on into a normal 6 inch curb? And did you hit any posts or something? It just seems like a lot of damage.

Make you're next gloves all leather. Those gloves may have failed because of the mesh and not the stitching. I had mesh on the insides of my fingers and that's the only spot that got ground down.

#13 ·
The curb/median is a standard height but not squared, more of a slope. I'll get a pic tomorrow, I haven't been back to the scene. I had lots of my riding buddies that went and looked and picked up pieces of our bikes.

As far as the gloves I agree but not sure in the heat and humidity if I could handle all leather in the summer.

As for the actual crash, this is the best to my recollection and feeling:

I knew the instant I hit it what happened and remember thinking "no,no,no that's not right." I remember the impact "crack" of the bike and I know I tumbled because I remember seeing the bike flipping as well. For the rest of it I'm sure I was in and out of consciousness because it was like an action chaos scene in a movie and there are flashes of black then people then black then people and noises fading. I laid there on my back then all of the sudden there are people around. I don't recognize any of them except Nick (volcom440) who happened to be coming home from dinner and came up on the accident. I asked him to turn off the music because my Scala rider was still on. I couldn't breathe and I was so hot I was in shock and asking people to take off my jacket and helmet. So glad Nick was there to tell people not to move me until paramedics arrive (apparently no one called 911) There was some lady talking to me trying to hold my right hand and I'm trying to scream at her that my arm is broken. I remember hearing the train coming then a lot of commotion I think to make sure the tracks were clear. The asshat cop Interrogating me about how fast I was going. Seriously?!! I feel like I'm gonna die here, ****! Can you ask me later?? I said I think maybe 50 and he got all indignant about the speed limit being 35. Um, no, it's 45. But anyway, it was an eternity until I finally got strapped on a board and into the ambulance feeling every bump along the way.

Trying to recreate the damage part from talking with Steven (the friend that didn't go down) and looking at the damage is as follows:

Front tire slammed and split the rim, popped over the curb and back tire slammed and my weight compressed the rear shock. As the back tire came over the curb it launched the rear in the air mans the back shock released and like an ejection seat I flew way up in the air and toppled and came to rest about 50 feet from the impact. I'm fairly certain I landed on my ribs first, bounced up on my face and knees and slid. This could have been where my wrist broke if it wasn't on the initial impact. This tire my face shield from the helmet. I didn't take any damage to my face other than the soreness which I realized later and after seeing the pic I realize why. Somewhere I slid on my elbow but the CF armor did the trick and no rash or even bruising to my elbow.

The bike looks like it did a straight endo off the curb and hit the tail, then back to the windshield and handlebars then onto the left side for a slide to a stop. I'm glad it ejected me rather than land on me.

Overall I am very happy I had my gear and it could have been worse! A simple mistake and I'm so mad at myself because I am usually so much more aware than that!

#14 ·
It was totally random and by chance that I was on the scene. We left two restaurants in two different towns and happened to run into each other on the road. Jason (SpydyG) had passed me on the road when I was in my car and I ended up getting stopped at a red light. By the time I got through the light and down the road a mile the accident had already happened. When I pulled up me and my girlfriend ran over, some guy was about to take his helmet off and I cussed him out to leave it alone. Then I ask who has called 911.... No one answered (dumbasses) so I told my girl to call them and his wife. Luckily though the fire department was less than 1/8th of a mile away so the response time was awesome. Anyways you already have talked to me plenty of times since it happened but glad your ok bud!

#16 ·
Nasty. Glad to hear you made it through and seem to be in a position to heal, sorry to hear about this. It's very good of you to share the details so others can learn and this is a clear case of why gear can help, but also why better gear will do more. Take care and best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

#17 ·
Thanks guys. Now it's just the waiting game. I'll get into the gym ASAP to try and help speed the process.

I agree with the "better gear". I am definitely looking at gloves with more protection. I will at the least get some actual Kevlar riding pants if not good leather ones. Rough on the heat in the summer here though. My motorcycle instructor had those pants made out of that firehose material. I like the saying "if you have a $50 brain but a $50 helmet.

Have y'all seen this

#21 ·
wow that just shows how important it is to keep your eyes on the road. but hope you recover soon.

Reactions: SpdyG_AK
#24 ·
Thanks guys. It's gonna be long slow recovery. I'm looking at up to 4 months to ride again. I hope that's an exaggeration. I see the wrist surgeon for follow up on Thursday. They should take splint off and cast it. Then it's 4 weeks til I get a splint and I can start rehab. I'm supposed to keep stretching my ribs now and try to walk around and all but they just feel heavy and it's hard to breathe after a few minutes. I just want to get out of the house for a movie or something stuck in the recliner is brutal!

#30 ·
Thanks guys.

I'm literally considering sanding the plastics and redipping if I get it back. Depends what the insurance says. I'm hoping they total it and I can buy it back as a project and I'll still but me a new one. Won't know til u can get it to a shop. Worried about the forks/triple tree and if there are any frame cracks. Ho hum. I hate waiting. So impatient.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.