Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Hit a Deer on Highway

4K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  kneepuck_envy 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I had an accident last night on my way to work when a couple of deer were waiting for me at the top of a curved on ramp. Luckily for me I had just got on the highway so I was able to slow a bit before impact and I'm doing ok. I had to be going about 50ish mph when I made impact. I did not have my go pro on or this would've been far more interesting to read.

Anyways, when I went up the on ramp the two deer were staggered in the road. This was a single lane bridge in upstate NY connecting to another bridge and eventually the interstate. I did not want to risk swerving as I may have been ejected over either side of the railings. My only option seemed to be hard braking. I braked strong enough that I felt my rear tire lose a little traction and slide a bit. It wasnt enough though. I hit the deer and was ejected onto the pavement, rolled a bit, the slid for a couple/few seconds. I saw my bike sliding down the road and sparks as well as the deer get launched onto it's side. I got up after a few seconds to flag down motorists once I realized that the bike and deer completely blocked the road, and whoever was coming up the ramp next would be in trouble.

Some nice people stopped and called the state police and the only real injury I sustained was a road rashed bottom. Wish I wore my kevlar jeans but shoulda, woulda, coulda, ya kno? I'm going to take the next few days to recoup and get my aches and pains sorted out. After that's done I'll be dusting off the old ninjette for some commuting for the rest of the year. :fiddy: Stay safe everyone and watch out for Bambi!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Kevlar jeans will still only last a few feet in a slide, your best bet is leather. I know it's hot and inconvenient, but there's nothing better. When I ride to work I bring extra clothes and shoes in a backpack.

Reactions: DanteBosco
#5 ·
Tough break man, glad you're well enough to share your story. wishing you a speedy recovery.

#9 ·
I went to see the bike just the other day. The bike starts right up but after sitting in the salvage yard I worry about my battery and also the rotors are looking a bit rusty. It still shifts seamlessly but I was concerned... During the crash I remember the bike turned itself off like it was supposed to. However there was a fair bit of oily gunk by the kickstand where the overflow tubes are. I don't know if this is excess chain lube knocked out of the front sprocket or engine oil. I once had an issue with my ninja where engine oil was overfilled and spilled out the airbox. Anyways let's hope the insurance moves the bike somewhere away from the elements and gives my the go ahead to fix it! Thanks for all the support I would like to do a rebuild thread when I get better.

#10 ·
Can't you take the bike with you now or have they not sent a claims adjuster out yet? Rotor rust is just surface rust at this point, will clear itself off with use or scrubbing. New air filter is probably in your future, would check plugs as well. Glad to hear its mostly surface damage.

#11 ·
So turns out the bike is totaled. State Farm is offering me the option to buy it back and I'm thinking about it, I don't think the forks are bent but I'm going to take a closer look when I recieve the bike after all the claim stuff is settled. Any input is as always appreciated! :)

#13 ·
The OE parts are a bit high for me atm. I'm looking into some Chinese vendors for fairing kits new ram air intake manifold and headlights. Also my radiator is dented and my engine cover is scraped. Bought it back for like a grand with 3k on the engine. I'll have to inspect it more closely to see I it was worth $$$

#17 ·
Hey Dante! Ouch, glad you're ok and spending some time to recoup! I hear these stories wayy too often, and you really are a lucky guy. From your account, it seems like you really had to think fast.

If you need fairings for your bike, we (American Motorworks) are a sponsor here on the forum, and we are offering some good discounts. Nature's creatures are unpredictable, but you seem to have had an angel on your shoulder.0:)

Ride Safe Biker fam!

#15 ·
I've got a Ninja 300 that I zip around on. I have to say, it's a blast to ride! I can wring its neck through every gear and still be at a 'reasonable' speed. If I were you, I'd buy it back and repair it and ride the Ninja for a while. Maybe find some backroads to take to avoid the highway. Even if it takes a little longer, your commute will be more enjoyable.

Also, maybe adjust the Suspension to make the ride a little smoother. I did this a while back and it really made a difference.

Reactions: DanteBosco
#16 ·
My CBR will be arriving around 3pm today from the salvage yard. I will post pics of her after I stripp the fairrings to see the damage better. I'm praying the forks aren't bent!:serious: When I checked it out before they took it away the rim and front forks seemed okay but.... who knows

#19 ·
Here's the pics of the damage. I didn't have much time to spend with the bike unfortunately (Family night) but I will get my weekend with it soon >:) Also here's the ninjette I'lll be riding once insurance gives me a check to get new gear:cruising:

Attachments

#20 ·
Not sure if it's the picture, but the forks look...weird to me. Hopefully it's just me.

My girlfriend had an 09 Ninja that I ended up riding more than she did. Those are such fun bikes to flick around and lane split with.

Keep us posted on the rebuild!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.