The joys of parking in the city - 600RR.net
Crash Boom Bang Had a get off? Drop your bike? Had your girlfriend kick your bike over? Tell your story here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The joys of parking in the city

Hey everyone,

Thought I'd share with you 2 videos that happened to me within the past 3 months.

https://youtu.be/8Ut-ZGLO_lg

https://youtu.be/gXXsUJaDfjc

In the first video, the sliders did a perfect job and the only damage was to the slider itself and my mirror that folded in on impact. Considering the damage was less than $50, I cancelled my 911 call because of the freezing weather (couldn't stand just standing still waiting for the cops to show up) and just rode home without a police report.

The 2nd video is from 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately here, the back of my bike hit the curb which angled the front of the bike towards the ground more than it should and caused a lot more damage. Mechanically the bike is fine and I still ride it to this day (with a new mirror), but my left fairings are all either cracked or scratched, including my tank cover and the front of the bike. My short clutch lever also managed to get scratched and bent a bit on impact. I can't disclose too much information on this at the moment but thanks to a motorcycle security project I've been developing for the past year, I got to my bike a minute after it was knocked over and was able to talk to 2 witnesses who were still at the scene, one of which who was able to take a picture of the car fleeing. Therefore thanks to the police and my insurance, we got a hold of that coward's insurance and things should be resolved shortly.

Moral of the story is, you can't fix stupid and careless. If someone needs to back up 30ft in order to get out of a spot, I'm worried about what they're capable of when actually in drive. A lot of my friends think this was intentional, I'm not so quick at making wild assumptions but this whole thing is definitely suspicious. The good thing is I won't be the one spending $2000 to replace all the damaged parts, and this was a real life scenario where my personal project turned out to be very useful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 05:01 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Chapter 2 does look (possibly?) intentional, or cell ph usage?.

Glad you got the dbags info!

FWIW, I wouldn't park my bike there.....

Find a more secure parking place?

Even if you gotta pay, it's less worrisome.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 07:57 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
That is just aweful man! I really wonder how people drive like that. I am almost positive that both instances are intentional.

I hope you get the bike fixed soon and like tary said ^^^ . another place to park would be nice although that spot had cameras.

Are we there yet?!
The Following User Says Thank You to Noobstar For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (03-13-2017)

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-12-2017, 08:55 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The 2nd incident does look intentional, but, I have seen people do incredibly stupid things before. I agree with the above that you should find another spot if possible.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 02:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
With that second one, it seems intentional as mentioned above. Douchebags.

Ride carefully - You are invisible.
FB | YT

I'd rather be next to a rider that can maintain a controlled wheelie than a muppet on their phone.

Current: 2012 Street Triple R
Sold: 2001 NSR150SP | 2012 CBR250R
RIP: 2003 CBR600RR

DIY:
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:30 AM
World Superbike Racer

Sucks, man. Personally I'd find a new place to park.

- '14 Honda CBR650F
- '14 Triumph Thruxton
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '04 Yamaha WR450F
- Past rides: too many to list
The Following User Says Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (03-13-2017)
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:51 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
I had a guy do this to me. I was parked about 20 ft behind him and he slowly backed the entire way right into the front of my big silver dodge ram. People get distracted and do stupid stuff. Or they're on drugs/alcohol.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Training Wheel Hero

At least you caught the guy!
Can you disclose any info on the security system you have?
The Following User Says Thank You to blatant For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (03-13-2017)
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

That's the thing, this spot is great because of the cameras and it's also right behind my building. I can see my bike out of my office window if I walk a couple feet. There aren't really any better spots in the area, and anywhere else I lose the bonus of video footage. I advise anyone who parks in the city to have some nice sliders installed, as well as bar ends, fork protectors and rear axle protectors. If my bike had not hit the curb like it did in the 2nd video, it wouldn't have been so badly damaged.

Blatant, I'm sure glad I did. Regarding my security system, I'm planning on finishing it before the summer and maybe I'll make an open announcement on here if people are interested. I need to carefully think about how much I can reveal on the internet as the last thing I need is for someone with a lot more free time than myself to copy it and basically turn my whole year of hard work and testing into a waste of time! What prompted me to start this project was when I acquired my 600RR almost a year ago and couldn't believe how pretty of a bike it was!
The Following User Says Thank You to MrManH For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (03-13-2017)
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 07:50 PM
World Superbike Racer

Whether you can see it or not, and whether your alarm/security camera thing works or not is irrelevant as it's reactionary stuff.

Isn't it better to not see the bike and not have it not knocked over than to see it, get an alarm it was hit, have a nice camera shot of it getting hit and having to deal with the damage and attempting to have the cops give a crap about it? Can't imagine how happy your insurance is with you.

Been riding almost 40 years and have yet to have anyone back into my bike once much less twice. I'd move it after the first time; I guess I look at things differently.

- '14 Honda CBR650F
- '14 Triumph Thruxton
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '04 Yamaha WR450F
The Following User Says Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (03-13-2017)
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:31 PM
Moto GP Racer

Can you make a deal with the buildings parking/maint. staff, and park somewhere secure inside?

Usually, if you can find the right person, it can be done.......
The Following User Says Thank You to tary preisser For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (03-13-2017)
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

My insurance doesn't care because I only have liability coverage, it's the guy's insurance who's not gonna be happy with his hit and run.

I'm not going to give up the convenience of riding my bike to work just because occasionally stuff like this happens. Anywhere in the city stuff like this happens, there is nothing more notorious about that spot than any other one. The few people that I know who ride bikes in the city (I'm not part of any riding group) all have had their bikes knocked over in random spots. I don't know where you've been riding for 40 years, but this is a reality for people who live in big dense cities. Also my only "safe" parking option is $20/day, really not worth it. So yeah, reactionary is all I get but it's far better than nothing. Also if you look at my 2nd video, nowhere in the world can be safe when you have drivers such as that one.

Last edited by MrManH; 03-13-2017 at 08:34 PM.
dixon cider (03-13-2017)
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tary preisser View Post
Can you make a deal with the buildings parking/maint. staff, and park somewhere secure inside?

Usually, if you can find the right person, it can be done.......
I've asked, they couldn't be bothered. They charge us the same as a car.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:45 PM
Knee Dragger

Too bad you can't park on the sidewalk.

Just liability is a big mistake. Bikes get stolen way too frequently and easily. I always get theft with liability. It's way cheaper than full coverage too.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 10:45 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
That was sad to watch.....gosh i am so afraid for my beauty!
The Following User Says Thank You to gbilya1028 For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (03-13-2017)
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 12:48 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrManH View Post
My insurance doesn't care because I only have liability coverage, it's the guy's insurance who's not gonna be happy with his hit and run.

I'm not going to give up the convenience of riding my bike to work just because occasionally stuff like this happens. Anywhere in the city stuff like this happens, there is nothing more notorious about that spot than any other one. The few people that I know who ride bikes in the city (I'm not part of any riding group) all have had their bikes knocked over in random spots. I don't know where you've been riding for 40 years, but this is a reality for people who live in big dense cities. Also my only "safe" parking option is $20/day, really not worth it. So yeah, reactionary is all I get but it's far better than nothing. Also if you look at my 2nd video, nowhere in the world can be safe when you have drivers such as that one.
Note I never said don't ride, I said I'd personally find a more secure place to park. Ridden, lived and parked in Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Madison and Chicago to name a few densely populated places near you, never had an issue. So your bike getting tipped over is only a reality if you park on those areas you are. Park up against a building or pay a monthly fee for secure parking, not daily. Does your work have a secure hallway or some other loading dock area? You're parking right in the open, on the street by parked cars, that's your problem.

Liability only in that city? Man, you are ballsy. Or dumb. Hope it's ballsy.

- '14 Honda CBR650F
- '14 Triumph Thruxton
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '04 Yamaha WR450F
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

There aren't secure and affordable parking spots where I work unfortunately, and there is no secure hallway or company owned lot that I can negotiate a deal with. And if I have to park 10 minutes away and pay for more secure parking, for me it completely defeat the purpose of riding to work and saving money on train tickets. I have my reasons to go for liability only although when I'm up for renewal I was considering maybe getting comprehensive just for the theft coverage. But then again, knock on wood but theft is the least of my concerns considering I don't leave the bike parked outside overnight, and I know in real time its location and I'm notified the second it's touched.

Except for complicated maintenance and engine work, I do all the work on my bike and take the time to learn whatever it is I need to know. I'd rather potentially fix my bike out of pocket if a hit and run driver gets away, than automatically waste thousands each year on collision coverage. On top of that it would not even cover me for theft and would still require me to pay a deductible that is very likely going to amount to the same price as me just buying OEM parts and fixing the bike myself in the convenience of my garage, and be done within a couple hours. I did recently turn 25 though so maybe the next time around the insurance quotes will be a little more appealing.

There is a logic behind my reasoning and I'm actually the type to play it safe and buy insurance whenever I engage in an activity where things could become exponentially expensive. I would get liability insurance even if it wasn't mandated by the state, just like how I willingly pay for pilot and firearm insurance even though it's not mandated. My worse possible loss is the price of the bike, which would really suck but I could live with. When I did the math a year ago the numbers were in the magnitude of: in 3 years, I'll have paid the price of the bike just in insurance. That is simply not worth it to me.

And yeah I wish I could park on the sidewalks! That's how they do it in most of Europe. If we had politicians who actually rode bikes, motorcycles would have a lot more privileges.

Last edited by MrManH; 03-14-2017 at 08:02 PM.
dixon cider (03-14-2017)
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:55 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That sucks man, the 2nd video looked totally intentional! I love Chicago but I try my best to not ride in the city because of jackasses just like that!

2008 CBR600RR

The Following User Says Thank You to FLIPDAWG For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (03-18-2017)
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 11:40 AM
Knee Dragger

some valid points. I think if I were in your shoes, I'd ride a hideous bike that looked like it wasn't worth stealing, and if someone knocked it over, it wouldn't matter.

how long have you had bike insurance? after my first year of having insurance it got super cheap. I think I went from $80/mo to less than half for full coverage. that was in new orleans, though. chi-town might be more either way.
The Following User Says Thank You to trachito For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (03-18-2017)
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:07 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
WTF was up with that 2nd one???? The 1st one, okay I can buy that it was an accident... the 2nd one? Why the hell would he need to back up that far??? Unbelievable.

It's either stupidity or sadistic, either is not acceptable and is deserving of a good ass whooping.

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Mod List
-Akrapovic Slip on
-Arrow Headers
-DynoJet PCV
-DynoJet Quick Shifter
-K&N Air Filter
-Servo Delete
-PAIR Block off
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 03:21 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

If you're dead set on riding in the city, it's much less headache to grab something cheap that'll pass a knock over test: Give a good kick by the tank so it drops, and if you don't feel bad, then it's a good machine for the city. I love to use my bike in cities but always terrified of some jackass knocking it over so I carefully pick the parking spots. Sometimes I wish I'd never sold my EX500 so I could leave it anywhere in the city and not give a crap if it gets dinged.

Like this guy:

Last edited by Lyoha; 03-16-2017 at 03:25 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lyoha For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (03-18-2017)
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:46 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I'm sorry that happened to you. I see bikes knocked over all the time and it always hurts a little bit. Where in the city are you? I'm in Old Town. It would be nice to meet more people to ride with.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 09:52 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I agree the 2nd one is ridiculous, people like that I would honestly like to take a stick to and try to beat the stupid out of them or honestly cattle prod them...(lol) ..idiots 🙄. That's a shame man you can't even park your bike somewhere cause people don't respect anything or are just azz's!

Can I Get a yeah c'mon.....
The Following User Says Thank You to FIREBALL For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (03-18-2017)
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 11:48 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Garage
Dude. That sucks! Hurts me watching those videos. It's happened to me as well! At least, you have video and you can go after those idiots!

Ace.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the support guys! The guy's insurance came to see my bike this morning, I should get a settlement offer some time next week. I can't wait to order the new parts, but not on my dime!

I've thought of just getting a beater bike just for my commute but I keep deciding against it for the following reasons:
-it's one more bike to store in an already limited space
-it's another insurance policy to pay for (albeit it would be cheap since I'd just get liability), along with state registration and city stickers (it's quite pricy)
-makes my commute a lot less fun. I used to ride a CBR500R which was more than enough for commuting, and yet the 600RR still made the commute more fun

In a couple months we'll be moving to a new office, hopefully I'll find a safer parking area for it. As the weather warms up, more bikes will be parked on the street so the 2 wheel presence should get more noticed. From experience, my bikes only got knocked over during the winter months (especially December and January).
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie8285 View Post
I'm sorry that happened to you. I see bikes knocked over all the time and it always hurts a little bit. Where in the city are you? I'm in Old Town. It would be nice to meet more people to ride with.
I live in Andersonville, although lately I hardly ride just for "fun". I commute to and from work on my bike and spend my nights and most of my weekends working on my security project, can't wait to be done because I don't have much of a social life right now lol!
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 06:15 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Gotta work hard now so we can rest on financial freedom later. I rarely have time to ride for fun too, but I leave my Sundays open for it. Shoot me a message if you ever want to ride with a few responsible people that aren't reckless ... 95% of the time anyway. Plus, judging by your avatar, I think we'll all get along just fine!
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Only one time my bike has been kicked down... and it was the only and one day that I decided to park it on the tarmac rather than on the sidewalk (which is legal here in Spain).

Never again....

Honda CBR600RR 2003 - Gone! (the blond)

Honda CBR600RR 2007 - On the road! (the brunette)
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie8285 View Post
Gotta work hard now so we can rest on financial freedom later. I rarely have time to ride for fun too, but I leave my Sundays open for it. Shoot me a message if you ever want to ride with a few responsible people that aren't reckless ... 95% of the time anyway. Plus, judging by your avatar, I think we'll all get along just fine!
I like the sound of that! I do ride to the range with a heavy backpack ;) I'll PM you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soponcio Virtual View Post
Only one time my bike has been kicked down... and it was the only and one day that I decided to park it on the tarmac rather than on the sidewalk (which is legal here in Spain).

Never again....
Never been to Spain (on my to-go list) but I've spent a couple years in France and usually go there at least once a year. Even in tight/dense cities like Paris, people find room to safely park their scooters and bikes on the sidewalks. Kinda lame how here in America with our huge sidewalks, we have to park in the way of unskilled drivers.

Last edited by MrManH; 04-07-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page