Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

SW Asia: Kuwait

7K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  siyanor 
#1 ·
For those who have been to Kuwait and out on the highways...

What a sick place this would be to have a bike!!! I will have to take some pictures tomorrow and post them. Looooonggg straight aways to really open it up and some playful curves to keep it interesting. They are of course no twisties but still....WOW! Just watch out for those damn camels!

#3 ·
Speed limit is set at 80kmph (at least what I have seen) which is a joke because the roads are never patrolled and no one follows it. Once you get close to the US bases they sometimes do joint patrols with the Kuwaiti Police. I passed one today but they come as no surprise as they are always near the base and have sign set up "strategically." I have been making runs here from one base to another for the past week now and been driving a Mitisubishi SUV. It is old and beat up but I managed to get it up to 190kmph (that thing isn't going any faster). I'd guess that to be around 114mph or so. That about right? Drivers are rather on the crazy side here but I haven't experienced any problems with the week I have been here so far. I have seen some photos of some pretty horrific accidents though. I hear they get REALLY crazy down by Kuwait City but haven't witnessed it first hand yet. I hope to get down there before I skip town in a couple of weeks. There are plenty of your high end ferrari and lamborghinis down that way too. This country has big $$$. The biggest scare for driving here I would say is: speed bumps (they are placed somewhat randomly even on the highways with very little warning), camels (everywhere), and other drivers.

#4 ·
Yeah,you pretty much described the roads and driving conditions in most of the Middle Eastern countries.I live in Bahrain and its the same here.Long straights and the occasional turn or long sweeper..Twisties are a very rare sight..Most of the riders here in the gulf ride liter bikes or bigger and are more into acceleration and top speeds than in cornering..If you do come across a bike group,check out the chicken strips on all of their rears..HUGE!!!

Have fun

#7 ·
Yes they are some crazy drivers there in Kuwait area. Also got to watch out for the dust across the road after a sandstorm to. Downtown about 15min from the airport is where I was at for a while and no way would I want to ride with those crazy people on the roads but yeah the straight shots would be nice with the speed limit not enforced anywhere from what I saw in the short time I was there.

#8 ·
Speed limits used to be a joke around here in the Gulf states,up until around last year,when the cops wised up and started bringing in speed cameras and radars..But before that,riders,especially those on Hayabusas,ZX14 and other big bore tricked out bikes,would be doing anywhere from 170 - 200mph+,whenever they used to hit the roads..They still do,but think twice now..

#10 ·
Im guessin your at Arifjan or Ali al Salem....I deployed to the airport a few times not to long ago. Lucky me though, thank the Airforce I got to stay in the Crown Plaza, Raddison and the Hilton...FML lol...anyway be yeah if you head west on the 5th Ring toward Doha there are a few road that could be fun at speed but you still need to watch some of the sand that blows across the road. on the 30 (i think) if you head south toward Arifjan there are a few of those stationary speed cameras. Some of them cagers are nuts though too.

Reactions: Rad Rage
#11 ·
I actually reside in Ahmadi, never tried those roads before. I will definitely give them a shot, maybe go for a practice lap first to make sure the surface is good;
I hear ya about the sand, can be slippery as grease! Too bad you're not still in Kuwait, it is difficult to find proper riders to roll with here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.