Another 03 cbr 600rr will not crank. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Another 03 cbr 600rr will not crank.

Hey all, I recently bought an 03 cbr600rr from a buddy as a project and have not been able to start it one time... My buddy, who i completely trust... Rode the bike home one day and said it was great...two days later he goes to crank it and he cant get it to start...So now its my problem LOL The Battery is BRANDNEW and Charged fully, I hear the only what i believe to be the starter relay clicking when i press the start button so i think that works(how many relays should be clicking? more than 1?), ALSO have checked the ignition & replaced with a track switch setup WITH PROPER ZENER DIODE, fuel pump was also tested to run when jumpered, also checked the BAS by plugging it in and trying to start the bike and the when UNPLUGGED it would not even try to start(so i assume its in order)...Fuses are in order as well... The bike just will not prime that fuel pump and run... just tries to crank untill the battery dies... PLEASE HELPPPPP I KNOW THIS BIKE RUNS BEAUTIFULLYYYYY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:53 PM
infinate719

is the BAS facing the proper way?
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 PM
infinate719

Pic of the way the bike sits will help too.

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Knee Dragger

Did you check the kickstand switch?
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:00 PM
infinate719

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendu View Post
Did you check the kickstand switch?
Good suggestion Thats what mine was the last time this happened to me. I just bypassed it though.
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,490 Times in 1,038 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sounds like you have somewhat of an idea about the electrical system...

Get yourself a service manual and have a look at the circuit, you will see that power for the fuel cut relay is fed from the engine stop relay, the ground for the fuel cut relay comes off the ECU. Grab a multimeter and trace the circuit starting with figuring out if it's power to the relay or the ground that you are not getting.
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

The BAS is facing the proper way and is FLAT side up, I DO NOT have a clue what relay(s) are for fuel pump, starter, etc... I have seen a single relay attached to a bracket in the upper harness i believe, and this is the one that is clicking when the START button is being pressed, i have also seen i believe (3) on the left side of the bike next to the fuses... First lemme ask how do i test the relay...i have a multimeter, but idk what to set the dial on really... Secondly ...
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

and idk about the kickstand switch...the bikes in nuetral? wouldnt it start regardless? also i do not have to pull in the clutch for the bike to try to crank, is this a problem?
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Modcake with sprinkles

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTIAN A. View Post
and idk about the kickstand switch...the bikes in nuetral? wouldnt it start regardless? also i do not have to pull in the clutch for the bike to try to crank, is this a problem?
no, if the bike is in neutral you dont need clutch for the fuel pump to prime and the kickstand wont matter unless there is something wrong with it. Do the gauges go through the normal motions and everything just no fuel pump priming?
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Yes, the gauge do as they would normally... Ive been poking around in the back of the various relay plugs and did some investigating... but what should the numbers read on each relay wire... idk, im clueless
post #11 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Modcake with sprinkles

How bout checking the kill switch. It won't turn over and crank if it's engaged

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #12 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

The killswitch works and only hear a clicking of the relay near the metal bracket in the upper harness area when i turn it to "OFF", when its in the "RUN" position it rotates the motor over but once again doesnt fire...
post #13 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

folded the kickstand up and down...nothing changed bike still didnt prime but turns over and over and over without running...
post #14 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:45 AM
Modcake with sprinkles

Don't know how to trouble shoot. Nico will surely be able to help. Looks like its going to be something wrong with the fuel pump though.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
post #15 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

well, the fuel pump works when i jump it with a hot lead and ground, so i know its functional...just the juice isnt getting there... the zener diode is cutting to 9v at the ignition plug wire going to the ECU so i know thats ok too, i have tried to start the bike without the BAS plugged up and it gives me a "KILLSWITCH" effect as the bike refuses to turn over with it unplugged, and with it plugged in the bike WILL turn over...so i would assume it is working? The actualy STOP/RUN button works bc in the STOP position it will not rotate the motor, and when flipped to RUN position it will turn the motor over trying to start... I have messed with the kickstand but neither it being up or down seems to make a differance at all...
post #16 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Do you have a service manual mate? If not, that would be the first thing to do...

There are three relays under the left hand ram air cover, the Fuel Cut relay is the one closest to the front of the bike and the Engine Stop relay is the one closest to the rear. Which one of them is clicking? (I'm guessing it's the back one...)
post #17 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Exclamation

No- I do not have a maual, I just cant find one... And the relay that %s the ONLY one clickin6 is mounted on a little silver bracket away from the other relays and towar a the front end of the harness ...no other relays make a sound... i have tried to re&d the mil codes but no matter how I jumper the data plug and turn the key the mil light just stays solid...
post #18 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Modcake with sprinkles

if you take off the left mid fairing you will see the 3 relays they look like black boxes

post #19 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 12:57 PM
Moto GP Racer

post #20 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Modcake with sprinkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyRR View Post
??? huh

10 char
post #21 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Yes, none of those three makr a sound at anytime...the only relay that clcikcs is all alone with its own br ac ket
post #22 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Modcake with sprinkles

where on the bike is it located
post #23 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Exclamation

I have taken a pic of the four relays that i know to be on the bike... the one WITH the little metal bracket is "clicking one time" everytime the start button is pushed, the other three i do not hear any noise from them no matter what i do... Also the data plug i took a picture of...HOW DO I READ MY CODES BY JUMPERING THIS, I HAVE LOOKED BUT CANNOT FIND WHERE TO PUT A JUMPER...? I turn the bike off...jumper the wires, make sure its in the "run" position and turn the key... the light just stays solid no matter how many times i do this and no matter where the jumper wire is in the plug...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RELAYSSSS.jpg
Views:	1355
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	24240   Click image for larger version

Name:	DATA PLUG.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	24241  
post #24 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

IVE CHECKED ALL RELAY WIRES WITH A MULTIMETER! the fuel cut relay has NO POWER GOING TO IT WHETHER I PRESS THE "START" BUTTON ON NOT! I THINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM??? ALL OTHER RELAYS HAVE AT LEAST SOME NUMBERS... THIS ONE HAS NOTHING ON EVERY WIRE!
post #25 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Modcake with sprinkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTIAN A. View Post
IVE CHECKED ALL RELAY WIRES WITH A MULTIMETER! the fuel cut relay has NO POWER GOING TO IT WHETHER I PRESS THE "START" BUTTON ON NOT! I THINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM??? ALL OTHER RELAYS HAVE AT LEAST SOME NUMBERS... THIS ONE HAS NOTHING ON EVERY WIRE!
glad you found something. Hope nico comes back soon, hes the electronic wiz.
post #26 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Sorry it's taking me so long to get back to you mate... I'm on the other side of the world.

See if you have 12V on the black wire going to the engine stop relay, power for that is fed directly from the starter fuse via the kill switch. Not to much can go wrong there...

If it isn't that then the problem may be with the ground side (one of the red/white wires) Measure it's resistance to ground and see what you get.

And I don't know what the story is with your extra relay, that isn't stock... I would suggest you chase that loom back and see if you find an alarm or something...
post #27 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Modcake with sprinkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Sorry it's taking me so long to get back to you mate... I'm on the other side of the world.

See if you have 12V on the black wire going to the engine stop relay, power for that is fed directly from the starter fuse via the kill switch. Not to much can go wrong there...

If it isn't that then the problem may be with the ground side (one of the red/white wires) Measure it's resistance to ground and see what you get.

And I don't know what the story is with your extra relay, that isn't stock... I would suggest you chase that loom back and see if you find an alarm or something...
good info here. I was looking all through my manual and at wiring diagrams and didnt understand what i was missing there trying to help him with that extra relay. Good to know i wasnt missing it.
post #28 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

The relay with the two red wires going up into it HAS 12v POWER ON one RED WIRE AND A BLACK WIRE(this is without pushing the start button,idk if that matters but im just saying)... the relay with the BROWN WIRES still has no juice on any of its four wires... I have split the harness enuogh to see where a (bl/w) wire coming from the fuel relay interconnects and is wrapped in an OEM HONDA BLUE TAPE with a (bl/w) wire coming from the back of the relay with the RED wires... Im guessing this is the ground wire they share between the two relays?
post #29 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Find the red/white wire without any power on it and measure it's resistance to ground. You should get roughly 0 ohms.

Let me know if you don't know what I'm talking about.
post #30 of 90 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

No lol, sorry:/ please elaborate on HOW TO... heres some pics... The multimeter im using is in the pictures BTW so if you can tell me what to do...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-10_14-32-39_82.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	24255   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-01-10_14-33-55_789.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	24256  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page