Is It Worth It -
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is It Worth It

Friend of mine has a 01 Kawi zx6. the bikes previous owner did not take good care of it, it has been down a few times, was street fighter'd out. My buddy bought the bike for some sentimental value, first bike he rode blah blah. Bike was sitting for around 2 years. Ran strong when he got it. Bike has 37k on it. Now to the issues.
The bike had these screens over the air intake tubes. Didn't look good, so he removed them couple days later bike is running rough. Check filter looks like the original one from 2001, bugs and dirt all over it. carefully removed and cleaned it and the air box. he went with a k&n. Bike didn't respond well to it. so he wants to sync carbs and we did. (wrong the first time but we got it). Bkie still running off. it ran good until 80mph then just lost all power. Then started dying at idle, had to keep on gas while coming to stops. So we rebuilt the carbs cleaned everything, and put it all back together, sync for good measure. Then the bike runs the same. Convinced he needs to jet the carbs due to the mass air flow. he is frustrated at this point and takes the bike to a local mechanic who has worked on the bike before. We go to pick it up and he has more bad news. The vacuum on a couple of the cylinders are low. Valve job and seals next on the list but, then the killer bikes frame has 2 cracks one on each side, not on a weld. so my question is we got a guy that can tig weld the frame. Would that be sufficient? All the money he has put into it this year to find those cracks was kinda heart breaking.
Should I tell him to move on?

What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes a part of us.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That bike sounds like a massive money pit to keep it running. Who knows what else is wrong with it. I think it's safer and more economical to move on.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Moto GP Racer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
peace be upon her.....

part her out........
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page