Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

2005 600rr oil leak, burning off on headers

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Smalls599 
#1 ·
Hey everyone :shakehand :retard:

I got my first bike in October and she has been great to me. I stopped riding for 10 days over Christmas while with family.

I come home and go for a ride and notice smoke coming up along the forks. Smells bad like burnt oil. I took the right side fairings off and see oil on the oil filter. It's on the third pipe from the left.

I wiped down the filter and could even tighten it a 1/8-1/4 turn. I see oil around the rim maybe. I wipe the rag around other parts looking for leaked oil. None.I see grime all around the oil pan gasket edge maybe.

So then I take it for a ride around the complex parking lot not going over 15 mph and back in the carport and see/smell smoke.

So I get down and look and sure enough oil is on the exhaust header, third pipe from the left. Oil filter looked dry though I THINK. Can't remember looking now..

What should I do?

No smoke in exhaust.

Oil level is good, right at the top line 5min after shutdown.

See less See more
#4 ·
This seems obvious but the first thing you need to do is identify if the oil on the headers is new or old so you NEED to look around under the engine and clean off all the old oil.

Then start and run the bike for a bike to see if any new old comes out and where. If that was old oil on the headers from the filter it will take a bit to burn off and will smoke until it's gone.

When was the last oil change?

Any other damage under the bike you can see?

If you're at all concerned about your ability to identify the issue take it to a shop and get it fixed. Don't be one of these guys who lives with it because it might cost $100 for someone to look at it.

Mike

#5 ·
Ok thanks. I'm going to wipe it all down real well and do as you suggest. Also will get some video of it too just in case someone sees something I don't.

I'll take it to a shop on Monday if I don't find anything obvious. I don't like to attempt to fix something until I know what it is.

Last oil change was supposedly 2-3 weeks before I bought it. I should have done one right away. Guy seemed so into his bike I had confidence and let it slide.

#6 ·
I'd be willing to bet you're using a K&N oil filter?...

I had a very similar issue until I stopped using K&N filters.

Reactions: dixon cider
#9 ·
I am having the sme problem my leak comes from the oil filter and drips maybe for 15 seconds only when I start the bike. Also I believe when it cools down it drips a few more drops. Not sure because I don't sit there and wait for it to cool down. 2 filters ago this happened. I changed it didn't happen. Did an oil change shortly after and it started happening again. Any suggestions

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.