Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Bike won't push start

4K views 53 replies 6 participants last post by  Haydenport 
#1 ·
Okay so I have a 06 cbr600rr that won't push start, though it will start just fine with the starter or well it did until the starter went out about a week ago. So I have had this bike for a year or so and it never has been able to start when doing a typical jump start though I never worried about it because the engine sounded fine and would always start via the starter. So I have the bike in pieces now and have tested the compression which is all fine, and replaced the starter but even with the spark plugs out and the throttle body off I can spin the rear tire while in gear any guesses on what's wrong????? If you need more information please let me know. Thanks!

#4 ·
What gear are you in?

And how were you trying to push start it? What gear, what speed, dump clutch etc etc

#5 ·
Yeah don't try it in first. And if you're a lightweight like me you might not be able to do it by yourself

#6 ·
Yeah I tried in first and 2 gear, but what I'm worried about more then that is that I can't move the rear tire at all with the spark plugs out and in gear. Anyone have a comment about that? I mean I think I should be able to, but I can't though the compression is correct in each of the chambers so what could be happening?

#7 ·
Push start in 2nd if you're a heavy bloke otherwise third.

What gear are you in when you're trying to turn the engine over with the plugs out?

#13 ·
no, i mean it ran a little weird at times before hand but once it woudnt start i figured it was the starter. i removed the starter and it was definitely that the brushes where bad. ill have everything back togther soon, im just waiting for a new vss. mine has been out since i got the bike and figured it was a good time to replace so i could see my speed for once.

#14 · (Edited)
How where you able to do a compression check?

! what you're saying is; the rotating machinery on the drive side (piston, crank etc)...of the transmission is locked?

"unable to bump start" but "starts fine on starter" = locked crank?

What else has been done to this bike?.......did a buddy put superglue in your cylinders while you had plugs out?

#15 ·
okay i did a compression test with a compression gauge tester. i used the old starter to test the compression. ( i removed the old started and had a buddy try to rebuild it which didn't work but if you tap it with a hammer sometimes it would work so i used that to test compression before i ordered a new one). no, no one super glued anything, and the bike hasnt really had "anything" to do on it. though it has been treated badly in the past.

#18 ·
I reckon you've not put something together properly. If you've had covers off etc there is a chance you've bound it all up or placed something back in in the wrong order etc.

#19 · (Edited)
Well I hadn't had anything big off besides the throttle body to replace the starter. But I decided to do some more investigating today and checked all the valves which where all in spec. (I snapped a cam cover bolt when retightening the top :( I was even using a torque wrench and it snapped) but you also have to rotate the cylinders around while checking the valves and that wasn't difficult to do, in fact I put it in gear and could rotate the tire without much difficulty using the adjustment but on the side of the bike. Still waiting on my vss and a new bolt to reassemble everything but am even more confused on why I can't move that rear tire. FYI I'm a decent size guy so I don't think it's from lack of strength.

#22 ·
Yeah i apologize for the lack of terminology, i'm not a mechanic by trade. And yes the rear tire spins freely in neutral. and i can not move the rear tire while engaged in any of the gears (1-6). and yeah the counter-shaft is what i was using to move the engine over to check the valves for clearance. i think the next area for me to check is the clutch not sure really what could be causing this but since the tire spins in neutral, and the engine has the correct compression then maybe the clutch is having issues? honestly im just grasping at straws at this point not really sure what it could be but i'm hoping to eventually run into it.

#25 · (Edited)
yeah i tried it with the starter off as well still did the same thing, as for the clutch yeah when you pull the clutch is kind of free spin you can tell the clutch is starting(or needs adjusting i'm not sure which) to go out so it adds a little friction but not a lot and you can spin the wheel. Oh and yeah all 4 chambers have good compression.

#26 ·
Starter clutch, not hand clutch. There should be something that allows the starter to spin one direction and start the bike but keep it from engaging after the bike is running.

You have a weird issue, though, the clutch might be a culprit if it's extremely worn.

Good luck, have you talked to your dealer?

Mike

#28 ·
To check the valves? Clockwise is what the manual says. So I went clockwise. I couldn't imagine the clutch being really worn and causing this. About the only thing that makes sense to me is there is a spring that's really week allowing something to bind some where i'm just not sure what or where.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.