Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

2008 600rr Smoking

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  cwoody08 
#1 ·
Okay so I did a coolant flush on my rr and stripped the water pump drain bolt. Bought a new water pump and finished the flush. Now within seconds of turning on my bike the engine starts smoking and smells like a fire. I looked around and there is a small leak of something on the bottom of my bike. Further looking showed that it was very wet by the water pump and where the biggest hose goes into the pump. However I put engine ice as coolant in and this liquid definitely isn't blue nor does it smell like coolant. I don't see how it could be oil but the consistency and smell seem to match up. Do you think it is smoking because there's oil on the headers or because it really is overheating? I'd love to drive my bike but i don't want to if I'm going to ruin it. Any help is appreciated, thanks a lot.

#3 ·
Sorry I've been terribly busy with baseball games. I wiped everything down good and turned it on on and looked and it seemed to be smoking straight from the headers. Is there a way to test if the water pump is working because I'm thinking it's just oil on the headers. The only thing is that I did the oil change months ago. And no I definitely didn't strip it this time because I used a torque wrench to specs. I will post pictures when I get to a computer. Thanks for your reply!

#4 ·

You can kind of see some fluid where the biggest hose goes into the water pump. The first picture had fluid on it and dripping off of the bolts before I had wiped it off. I'm going to check the bottom tomorrow and see if there has been any new signs of leakage.

#6 ·
I did change the oil but it was during winter right before this riding season started and I don't recall the smoking right after I changed it. That was months ago and I don't think anything would still be dripping off from that. I'm going to drive it tomorrow some and see how it does.

#7 ·
Drove it a good amount today and all seemed to be fine. It hovered between 172 and 174 degrees Fahrenheit most of the trip. However, after going inside and coming back out a couple hours later there was a pretty decent amount of fluid under it. Would it be possible that it's just coming out of the overflow tubes? Just trying to brainstorm because I don't see any leaks anywhere. Thanks again

#9 · (Edited)
oil usually hangs around for awhile, either has to be burnt off. or use some rubbing alcohol to get it off. more than likely its just oil left over from the filter change. but... if its continuing for a few days then you may have a gasket issue coming from your filter. also the water pump thing. i hope you reseated your gasket right. or maybe even got a new one. gaskets dont last forever. you may have tore it and some of the fluid is leaking at the point of tear.

#10 ·
Okay so I checked my oil level and it's definitely leaking out, not just residue. That's kind of a good thing I guess cause that should mean there's nothing wrong with the water pump. After looking very closely it looks like it could be the drain bolt so I got a new sealing washer and I'm going to wipe everything down and put that in to see if it does the trick. Thank you for all help and suggestions. The only problem with the newspaper trick is since I've been driving it the wind has blown the oil around so there's drip spots all over the place so it's like impossible to track down. After I replace this washer I'm not gonna drive it for a while and see what happens. Also, if there's a water pump issue, which gasket are you referring to?

#11 ·
The waterpump is driven by the engine, there are places where oil could be leaking having to do with the waterpump.

I highly suggest getting a service manual and reading up on the waterpump. You can kill your motor if it's not working or setup correctly.

#12 ·
It's funny you mention that because I was just reading through my service manual and decided that the part where the water pump meets the oil pump area had to be the problem. I took the water pump off and saw that it appears to be missing it's o ring. Another stupid mistake on my part. I know quite a bit about working on these bikes and I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I just have stupid brain farts like this that cost me a lot of time, money, and headaches. Hopefully I'm running out of stupid mistakes to make. Thank you all for your help and when my new o ring comes in i will let you know if that does the trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.