Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Bike cuts off in idle or cruising

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  dkid 
#1 ·
Hi all,

The problem just started last night. The bike would auto shuts off after 20, 30 sec after starting while in idle. I can restart it, but it'll shut off again a couple sec later, unless I rev up the throttle a bit. Once the bike gets going it'd be fine for the duration of the ride. I thought at first it might be battery going bad, so I thought I'll check again in the morning. And low and behold same problem again this morning. While on my way to work, I was descending down a bridge and was holding the clutch to cruise, the bike shut off again while cruising. It did again in Neutral when I was stopped at the work's security check point. Now I started to think it's may not be a battery issue, however, I did noticed the clock on the dash was reset this morning.

I bought this 2008 bike second hand at 6K and is now at 15K+ miles. It only had oil changes done every 3-4K as maintenance, and only takes premium fuel. Everything is stock other than 2Bro slip-on and TST int tail light.

I'm not very mechanically incline, so I would appreciate any advice over this matter. Thank you for your time.

#5 · (Edited)
Right, it's an 08. I just started up again at work parking lot, and so far ran for over a min without cutting off before I turn off the key. Idle RPM is bouncing between 1600-1800. Also the clock didn't reset. Can't ride any until I get off work. But I'm trying to get some heads up on the problem while I can. Thanks for responses so far!

PS: what do you mean by "tune the jets"?

#6 ·
1600-1800 is too high... Maybe the engine management is keeping your idle high to avoid staling with no luck... Still stalls...

There has to be something wrong with either air/gasoline/spark

The easiest to check would be fuel lines, after this, check for spark in all 4 plugs.

Air is usually the last thing to fail, but if you didn't solve the issue, check you airfilter to see if it looks too dirty!

#7 ·
I'll def check the air filter for sure, I don't think it's ever been changed out.

I'll also check the battery too because why would my clock reset overnight? My coworker also mentioned the ECU might have to relearn all the system speeds (such as idle) if it lost power, hence the higher idling speed, but his unsure.

As far as fuel line and spark plugs, it would involving taking apart some of the bike, correct?

#8 ·
Sorry man, didn't read about the clock thing..

Probably electrical thing.

1- Check battery charge
2- Check stator and regultor/rectifier first

If this doesn't give more light to the issue, go back a couple of posts!

#12 · (Edited)
I do have a plug wire for my heated jacket hooked up to the battery terminals. I'll take them off to see if it makes a difference. And yes the battery is strapped in pretty securely.

But I wonder why would it only shut off at starting and idle or when the engine is not engaged (cruising with clutch pulled), instead of at random or hitting bumps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.