Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

09 CBR600 misfire between 1600-2100

3K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  cbrkat28 
#1 ·
Hey guys.. Would love to here your input on where to start. It doesn't effect riding the bike, and I only notice it when the bike is warming up (due to the cold start fast idle).

Slight mis during 1600-2100 rpm, will cause the bike to try to stall sometimes, but never has. The only other symptom I am noticing when this is happening, is that my tach is slightly moving back and forth instead of staying at one steady rpm. Again, this is only happening when the bike is misfiring in the above rpm range. The bike will misfire in this rpm range cold or hot. Bike runs strong and feels normal above 2100 rpm..

The electronics added to the bike are a PCV, Ignition Retard Controller and an Annitori QS Pro. My opinion is that the bike is getting an erratic rpm input, which is causing the mis.

How does the computer receive its rpm signal? Any other ideas? I have considered removing the PCV, IRC, and Annitiri QS to put it back to stock to see if that helps.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yup, new spark plugs 4,000 miles ago when I had the valve clearance inspection completed. Replaced spark plugs with new OEM spark plugs. All maintenance history up to date.

I think I need to start by removing the add on stuff and seeing if it helps resolve any issues.

PC5 shows normal rpm, and normal TPS value. Wondering about the quickshifter... Since it is plugged into the ignition coils.

#5 ·
Sorry for the delay in responding. Havent been able to work on the bike until today. I disconnected the quickshifter, the PCV, the Bazzaz Z-bomb,and the gear indicatior (it plugs into the dlc connector), and no change. So the bike has this misfire in stock form with no aftermarket electronic goodies in it.

Any ideas on where to go from here? Totally stumped....

#8 ·
No MIL.

All ignition leads seem to be tight, but have bought new spark plugs again, so will double check again when replacing them.

I cant ID the cylinder. I tried using IR thermometer, but it was to inconsistent to be exact. Any suggestions on how to do so?

I may just purchase another ecu and see.. But, Im going to try plugs first, but highly doubt this will solve anything.

#12 ·
If it's an 07-12 I can help with the wiring diagrams, testing the coils, and checking the voltage & continuity within the wiring harness...also take some pics of how the coils are positioned; facing the front of the bike they should look like 8 o'clock, 4 o'clock, 7 o'clock, & 2 o'clock...also make sure the wires are connected to the right coil.

*that's from left to right if you're facing it.

#14 ·
Sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet...you'll need a multimeter and sorry but I don't remember what it should be set to...I think it's ohms but idk for sure.

To check the primary winding attach the leads to where it would plug in the bike's wiring, to check the secondary winding attach the positive lead to the part of the coil that would be connected to a spark plug and the negative lead to one of the things you used to check the primary windings...also don't try to take apart the coil itself...you'll break it.

You should buy a shop manual dude, it'll have step by step instructions to do this and the setting for the multimeter.

#15 · (Edited)
Run base map & remove IRC and try again.
IRC can cause signal errors for TPS and will overfuel & foul plugs.

Coil over plugs rarely fail. Remove the misfiring cylinder/s spark plug and check if its leaned or fuel fouled.
Spray water onto headers and see which one is coldest compared to others

#16 ·
AJ26, thanks for the reply buddy!!!

I have removed all aftermarket electronics, from PCV, IIRC, Quickshifter, etc. The bike was still doing this in stock form. I have a new set of plugs for it, that I have to install and see what happens. I doubt its a coil, as coils typically work or they dont.

I tried using in Infrared Temperature reader on the headers, but it was too inconsistent to pinpoint accurately. What if its not a misfire, is there anything that could sound like a misfire? Example, throttle bodies out of sync? I understand the CBR600 does not require having its throttle bodies synced.

Again, its the strangest thing. Idles nice and smooth at 1400-1500 rpm when warm and its perfect above 2100 rpm. Its only noticed when warming up, because its in that rpm range. When the bike is warm, you bring into that rpm range, it does the exact same thing. So, its not an issue of temperature. Its specific to those rpms (1600-2100).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.