Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

04 CBR600RR excessive fuel tank pressure

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Justins567 
#1 ·
Hello all, new member here i have an issue thats got me lost.

I recently bought a used 2004 cbr600rr with just over 12k miles runs nicely, idle is fine, revs and pulls well.

BUT... i went to test a new key i had cut for the bike recently and was greeted with a surprise of gas shooting out of my tank after a large amount of air being released. I saw a thread of some folks with 09s having the issue as well.
At the time of the blow out my tank was under 1/3 full.

Steps i have taken

Checked the over flow and tank vent lines for kinks - none found
Ran a hanger slowly through the vent line - Clean
Used can air to blow out the vent line - clean - can hear/feel air all the way up to the tank.

It seems the tank will pressurize even when just sitting cold, every time i open the tank it has a force pushing the cap.

As i stated the bike runs just fine despite the pressure

At this point I'm not sure what else to check any help would be awesome! thanks all.

See less See more
#2 ·
On my '09 I had to make sure that the vent line was actually plugged into the gas tank, as mine wasn't plugged in from the time I lifted the tank.. stupid design yes. Also make sure when you set down the gas tank that it does not block the line. Silly Hondas :(.

#5 ·
One of your fuel lines are kinked. what I did...I took the ends of the hose, and blew into it(gross I know), but that's how I found out which line was kinked cause the air didn't go through the hose all the way. Get it fixed sooner than later. Prolonged pressure in the tank with make it combust/ and or deform.

#6 ·
I haven't been able to ride a ton recently due to a surgery I had. But the last time I rode the pressure seemed to be down. This was after using my air compressor to blast air though the hose from the bottom up to the tank.

The air does come all the way through so there's atleast no full kink.

Once I can ride again I'll update if I still have pressure, I'd rather not see gas shoot out again!

I should add I also added some fresh gas, I have no idea how long the previous gas from the previous owner had been in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.