Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

HELP: bike keeps stalling, cat glowing red

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  NewRedRider 
#1 ·
2008 600RR I rebuilt with a 09 engine after being drowned in Sandy. Its been sitting in the back of my garage for a year. I tried to get it running and it started up ok. The gas was treated with PRE before I hadn't touched it in a year and I also put a gallon of fresh gas in it today. I let it run idle for 5 mins then all the sudden it started to stall. If I open the throttle and start it, its starts no problem but then when i let the throttle go it would stall again. It did that a few times and finally after revving it a little i was able let off the throttle with out it stalling. I took it for a ride around the block and it seemed ok but when i got back into my garage it started stalling again. I got it running again like before but then I noticed the smell of buring plastic, I looked down and the cat was glowing red and burning the bottom fairing. Any ideas on what could possibly cause this problem?? I read possible clogging exhaust pipe and something about a fuel injector leaking. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
it there was too much fuel, i see how that would get the cat red hot as it burned it up, buy why would that clog the cat? would the fuel just burn off? I'm saying clogged as in an obstruction in the exhaust somewhere after the cat, causing the gases to remain in the gas longer and heating it up more. I guess I'd have to pull the cat back off and try to push something through there. The header/cat I bought used from ebay so i guess theres the possibility it was already clogged and i got ripped off.

This had to happen to someone else before, no one??

#4 ·
I don't think fuel clogs up anything, then again I don't know what does and does not get caught in a catalytic converter.

If there was a problem with a fuel injector where it was not spraying, that could create a lean condition in the engine which would increase exhaust gas temperatures. I believe there is a fairly straightforward way to test the fuel injectors out there somewhere.

#5 ·
I'll try to look that up bout testing the injectors.
so far possibilities are injector leaking pouring fuel on the cat, lean situation from injector not spraying, clogged cat, and I was reading about it possibly being the EGR valve stuck open.

Any other ideas?

#6 ·
Check your air filter box and intake for rats/birds nest. Sitting in storage they love to build nests inside the airbox or even the tail pipe of they can get inside. Check your fuel pressure and fuel lines. Even though you had a fuel stabilizer in the gas it doesn't mean the fuel didn't go bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.