Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

top right fairing popping out

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  C. Chaos 
#1 ·
My top right fairing will not stay slotted into the groves of the tank cover. The tabs are there on the fairing and the slots are intact on the tank cover.

The left side is fine. I've had the right fairings off for other reasons and inspected re-installed them with the tab/slot issue in mind and still no dice.

I wonder if there are any tips out there to get these two bastards to match up and stay in love? Is it possible to adjust the tank cover a bit to the right? I haven't tried that, but wondered. Maybe a trick with the tabs?

I am pretty sure these are aftermarket fairings. They were on the bike when I bought it. The black tail fairings are stock because they still have the factory decals on them.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That part is quite problematic... It's not popping out on my bike but it never seated correctly.

I would suggest you remove all screws, remove the part completely and check if the stuff underneath is correctly installed and fixed.

if you check right under your brake lever you will see that some tubes or cables are routed right thru that part, when those tubes/cables are not correctly router/tied they tend to push the mid-faringin out like in your bike.

Good luck!

#3 ·
I had 2 sets of plastics. When I removed my original, it was all good (25,000 miles). My second plastics were iffy but I made it work with some silicone. After about a year I put my originals back on and they have a gap. Tried removing them while sitting in the sun, pushed the tank on and got everyting to settle a little bit better but it doesn't sit the same.

Aftermarket plastics are always way worse for this.

#4 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I'll try adjusting with the heat of the sunlight on it and see if that can edge it in better. Might get serious and break out the heat gun too. Hadn't thought of that.

This same fairing doesn't sit right up near the gauge assembly/top headlight fairing either. I think it pops out more frequently when the bolts are tight up top. Something isn't sitting right! I checked the obvious wire/cable runs through there and didn't see anything pushing on it.

Might be time to start reading the 1,000 threads comparing aftermarket fairing dealer quality - or buy a factory set ($$).

#5 · (Edited)
Reading various threads here and elsewhere led me to successful and (so far) permanent pairing of the top right fairing and the tank cover.

I removed the top right fairing and used a dremel to ever so slightly grind out a little bit of material in the bend of the tabs... basically just scuffing it a little where it would grab the tank grove.

Then I removed the side bolt that holds the tank cover. I had gotten a few stiff, nylon washers from my local hardware store and put two of those behind that side tank cover screw and re-tightened it. Probably ~1/8 inch of depth or less.

The scuffing of the fairing tabs may not have done much. The later moved the position of the tank cover and the related groves that the top right fairing grabs out just enough so the fairing now positively inserts and grabs the groves in the tank cover.

Looks perfect now. Total cost about .50 and an hour or so of time. Take your time. Move slow especially around the scuffing of the fairing tabs.

#6 ·
Nice solution! I may try that...

I have had this exact issue with my right side upper fairing as well. The tab closest to the handle bars is the one I have issues with because a tiny piece of the "locking lip" part of the tab is broke off, therefore it does not grab onto the tank cover with enough bite.

My solution was to use a couple of layers of electrical tape on the tab itself to give it a bit more thickness and "grip" to hold onto the tank cover....I may try just putting the tape on the tank cover next time to see if it works...

This worked for me. No bumps will knock I out either...it's pretty solid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.