Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Brake Fluid Leak

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  OzMoto 
#1 ·
Alright guys, just looking for a little insight. Last weekend I replaced my brake pads. When I pushed the pistons on the front calipers in, brake fluid came out of the front reservoir. It was not a lot, but it definitely leaked. I wiped it down and everything looked to be good, no more leak...so I went for a ride and everything felt fine.

The next day I went to take my bike out after work and there was more brake fluid dripping from the Res. Again I wiped it down and took it for a ride, everything felt fine.

My question is...is it normal for fluid to come out of the little pin hole near the top of the res after changing pads? Or do I have a leak?

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

#2 ·
Any moisture is a bad sign. Especially a persistent one. I'm having a hard time picturing where the leak is coming from though. I have an '05 so the reservoir you have is the same coffin style and don't remember any pin holes. Take a snapshot maybe?

#3 ·
I'm at work so I can't at the moment. It was leaking from the top of the reservoir on the seam on the right side. along that seam there seems to be a little tiny hole that I assumed was a overflow pin hole I at first thought the seal was bad, but after cleaning off the fluid, I squeezed my front brakes as hard as I could and nothing else came out...just don't want to take apart the reservoir if I don't have to

#7 ·
I don't remember seeing any valves in the coffin. Even if there was, you said the leak is coming from the seam. It's not supposed to. Open it and make sure the diaphragm is in place and not damaged. Pull some fluid out if you think it's overfilled and close the cap.

#9 ·
There's a little tiny "hole" on the side at the seam which is where the fluid was coming out, that's why I thought maybe it was for overflow..im not really sure, I'm not knowledgeable on how these brake systems work.

Also, if I take the cap off to remove some of the fluid, will I need to bleed the brakes?

I checked it this morning, still no more leak...squeezed the front brake as hard as I could and nothing leaked out.

#13 · (Edited)
If the fluid level is full, and then you put on new brake pads.

You are essentially overfilling it when you squeeze the pistons and force the line fluid back into the reservoir.

It is a hydraulic fluid and doesn't compress. It has to go somewhere.

If you do it really fast and hard with the cap off it won't leak, it'll just shoot to the ceiling and drip back down.

#14 ·
I had the exact same issue with mine on the '03, I know that tiny little hole you're talking about. The coffin is too full and the diaphragm slightly moved. Don't fill it up so much, place the diaphragm back in and GENTLY place the lid back on and you should be good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.