Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Crank no start

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  borjawil 
#1 ·
2004 CBR 600RR

Cranks fine, new battery, fully charged. Pulled a plug cap and connected a spare plug and got spark. Fuel pump primes when key turned on. Neutral light illuminates in Neutral. Bike does not crank when not in neutral.

How do I test for fuel at the injectors? Will the bike still crank and have spark but no fuel if the tip over sensor senses a tip over event?

Where is the tip over sensor and is there a way to bypass it?

#2 ·
2004 CBR 600RR
Bike does not crank when not in neutral.
Could be the safety that prevents starting the bike in gear when the clutch is pulled in. Under the clutch lever is a switch that is activated when you pull the clutch; this microswitch can gum up and cause behavior like this, however it shouldn't prevent the bike from starting altogether. Just an easy thing to check.

#3 · (Edited)
Fighting chance - like I said the bike turns over, I believe that neutral sensor keeps the engine from turning at all other wise the bike will jump/lurch forward if in gear. Bike is in neutral. Green N or neutral light is illuminated. Does it with or without the clutch pulled in.

Took the top off the airbox where the computer mounts and sprayed starter fluid in the intakes. No firing. Which means my plugs are fouled, weak spark (although I've connected a jumper battery and it cranks very well), or I have other issues. Unless anyone else has ideas.

#4 · (Edited)
Is this a project bike that you are putting together or an issue that you just recently started having? What I'm getting at is "what's changed/new"? If you're getting spark and fuel then the tip over sensor is fine. You should be able to just unplug it as a way to bypass, but the FI light will stay on. I'm not sure on these bikes but on most vehicles there is a relief valve on the fuel rail, if you press the valve in fuel shoots out at you (wear glasses) you know you're getting pressurised fuel. How much pressure is another story that involves gauges.

I would check to make sure your spark plug wires are going to the correct coil packs, that they are plugged in all of the way, and that the coil packs are seated onto the spark plugs fully. Ohm out the coil packs while you're down there. You can also check voltage BEFORE the coil packs as well. Hook a volt meter up to each pair a wires and crank the bike, make sure you have good voltage to the coil packs.

You have essentially ruled out air and fuel when you opened the air box and sprayed starter fluid down there, last thing is spark. I know you said it's a fresh battery, but hook a volt meter up to I and get a reading while cranking. If you start getting close to that 8volt range then swap that baby out. Let us know what you find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.