Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Ungodly sound

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  HI600 
#1 ·
about a 1000 miles after getting my valves adjusted i was driving down the interstate and as i was exiting and went to idle it was making a very loud sou and wouldn't idle. It sounded like an exhaust gasket was blown and tired with not idling, it made sense (no back pressure).

upon closer inspection, the gasket seems perfectly intact. The bike will run with a little throttle but it sounds like either gravel in the cylinders or a blown exhaust gasket. That's the best way I can think to describe it. Anyways this sound goes away after 5,500RPM and the bike has perfectly normal throttle response the whole time. I will post a video as soon as I get a new battery.

I am good with fixing cars but I've never work on motorcycles, so any help/advice yall can provide me would be great! I'm to the point where I am ready to just sell this bike "as is" on craigslist.

#4 · (Edited)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hvAlnXWJs8Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

it may be hard to hear the sound in this video. I think I can pick it out easily because I know what it sounds like. Let me know if thats the case and I will try the video from another angle.

EDIT: The embedded link didn't work - https://youtu.be/hvAlnXWJs8Q

#5 ·
At work atm. Dont turn it on again till you have your timing and valves recheck. Sry if you have to tow it there or trailer it.. dont go back to that shop.

#7 ·
Goes away after 5000rpm? Cam chain tensioner lifter is my first guess. If they did the valves wrong you'd know way before 1000 miles.

#8 ·
Don't run that motor or especially ride the bike until that's fixed. The shop that worked on it should repair it or pay a competent shop to fix it correctly for you. That sounds like your cam tensioner is failed at least and it could already be mis-timed by a tooth or two. If you're in this deep I would get an APE tensioner and install it properly.

#9 ·
That makes sense, at least from my limited understanding of how bike engines work. Unfortunately, i doubt that shop will help me now. I started working up for a deployment when this happened and 2 months later I deployed for 8 months. Ive been back from that deployment for a year now and the bike has been sitting until I cranked it for the first time in that video

#11 ·
Can't really hear the sound from the clip. If it is a rattle coming from the RHS mid fairing, more likely CCT.

#13 ·
Thats where its coming from for sure. Sorry for the bad video, running the bike hurts my soul it sounds so bad! So I was trying to be quick about it.

Looks like I may get to learn how to check/change a CCT!

Miweber929 - Not a bad idea to see if they have a record of the miles, I will definitely try that.

Thanks for all the ideas and help everyone!

#17 ·
Screw it in until you feel tension, then back it off a little. Start the bike and then screw it back in just until you hear the rattle stop, then back it off 1/4 turn.

I usually use blue loctite on the thread where the nut goes down. You could use the purple anti-vibration one too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.