Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Power probing ignition coil for spark?

3K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  CamGears 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry guys i was doing it on my phone and I forgot the video so I went to edit and put the video link on and it wiped every f$%&#@# thing i typed. Anyway: trying to figure out of power probing a coil/plug should give me spark correct? I took the plug out and had a lil oil on it although the original had some oil on them too when i changed them around the threads. I didn't see any firing from the coil. there a way to test ohms readings? if so how and what reading should I get??? Long story short, im trying to follow LND's trouble shooting sticky, i got power, i hear the pump prime, all fuses good, battery good, relatively new plugs. I ride 60 miles/day. Prior to issue which may be totally unrelated was i just cleaned the chain up, rolled it out of the garage and then poured water over the chain. Dryed it and then lubed it. Started her up and rode back into the garage and let her sit nothing different i haven't done the last 15 times i cleaned the chain. It sat for 2 days cause it was cold out.....went to ride one morning and then what happened in the video is what happened when i tried to go to work. Bike is always garage kept as well. It's a 06 600rr.

https://youtu.be/4wVXBMXmGpc

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I checked my Haynes manual. There is a primary and secondary winding resistance. The primary is supposed to be 1.6 to 1.8 ohms at 20 degrees celsius (68 degrees F) and the secondary is supposed to be 12.8k to 13.0k ohms at 68 degrees F. If you have questions about how to check each one let me know.

#5 ·
you probably flooded it.

hold the throttle wide open and crank it for a while till it tries to catch. let go of the throttle and stop cranking. then start as normal.

starting your bike for 5 seconds and shutting it off won't break ignition coils.

there is no logic behind your troubleshooting. take a step back and think about the series of events

#6 ·
I've held it wide open throttle for 10 seconds and still nothing different. I didn't do anything out of the ordinary if you watch my video all I did was clean the chain and even then I started it to ride it
back inside the garage and didn't touch or move it. Could it be a fuel issue even though I hear the pump prime???

#7 ·
did you hold the throttle open while cranking it? or just hold it open. you aren't very clear.

I find it nearly impossible to believe that anything is broken. have you tried bump starting it?

starting a bike, riding it 5 feet then shutting it off isn't very good for it. it'll leave too much raw fuel in the cylinders and make it hard to start. any attempted starts after will compound the problem.

if you can't get it bump started pull your plugs

#8 ·
Yes open throttle and cranking for 10 seconds.... In my pictures you can see I also pulled the plug for the same cylinder. I can smell some fuel put nothing more than would be out of the ordinary. When it started I had just running for about 15 seconds, that shouldn't have caused any issues. I don't do it often but have before when I cleaned my chain and rode it shortly back in afterwards. Havent tried bump starting I can try that once I put it back together. If it doesn't pump start what would that mean? I have a long enough drive way to do it.

#13 ·
Not recommended, but this is how we used to do an ignition check, when I was a kid.

Riding dirt motos, you would occasionally flood / wet bike to the point where it would stop.....

Bike were kickstarted, or push started back then.

If you needed to, you pulled plug, reconnected it.

Then, hold it in your hand and touch the motor (with same hand!!!!!).

And kickstart it.

You knew right away, if you had spark.

#16 ·
So grounding the spark plug and cranking for about 3 seconds I can clearly see the spark plug firing. I can smell slight amount of gas, whether or not its a small amount or not enough I'll be figuring out next. Would it be worth it to test the other 3 coils/plugs or assume they're fine. I know the plugs are good I changed them 3k miles ago. Or just pull the tank and test for fuel or lack there of.

#18 ·
Removed every plug and cleaned, reinstalled. Still no start. Removed top cover where ecu/air filter is. Have carb cleaner to use when cranking and try to start by spraying some directly and still no start. Those top injectors are secondary right. Would spraying where the air filter is even do anything? Last resort is to get to the fuel pump. Running out of stuff to check.

#19 ·
Ok guys so got an update since I been busy and haven't got a chance to work on it in a while.
1) All fuses ok
2) Battery new (although was already new I warranty's it and got another)
3) New plugs (although was replaced about 10 mths ago/5k miles)
4) Fuel pump primes, also took the tank off. Disconnected the pump and the hose feed. Attached clear tube to pump and grounded connector with alligator clips. Attached another clip to yellow accessory wire. When power supplied it primes and gushes fuel into the caddy so pump is good.
5) Disconnected the first coils and attached ignition tester and both have spark.

So I have spark, fuel pump works and brand new battery. What the f$*# is going on here?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.