Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Please please help!! Starting issue.

934 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Motorcycles Bear 
#1 ·
I turn the key, flip the switch, FI primes, hit the start button and I get a buzzing/ clicking sound from the starter relay, my speedo goes glitchy, clock resets sometimes and get no sound indicating the motor is turning over... 04 cbr600rr.

#4 ·
Definitely sounds like battery. Recharge it and get it load tested.

I killed a battery due to my R/R being faulty. Replaced it and battery - no issues since.

#6 ·
It was a new battery I purchased only a few weeks ago... I replaced the stator and rectifier afterwards but there was some time where it was probably being drained and not charging. I put it on a trickle charger and let it get to 13.3 volts and reinstall it and I still get the clicking... I've even replaced the starter relay.

#9 ·
you might have a bad starter.

at rest the battery should be around 13.5-13.8v, while cranking it shouldn't go much below 10.

if your starter has a ground fault in it (from carbon deposits due to the brushes wearing), the current drawn from the battery will be very very high, and will pull down the battery voltage below the holding voltage of the starter relay, and you'll get the clicking.

if the battery is definitely charged, try pulling the end cap off your starter motor and cleaning it out.

#10 · (Edited)
Hey mate, sounds like the gremlin is still present.

The battery should show about 12.3-12.9v with bike off and disconnected. Best to disconnect as the bike will differ the reading slightly.

Once you start the bike it should test at 14v and above. This will show the stator and rectifier are working.

If you replaced the stator and rectifier have you checked this to make sure its charging? im guessing you changed these because after buying the new battery the bike was still going flat?

it doesnt take much to wreck a battery. charge it and charge it well. use your multimeter and make sure you have the 12.3-12.9. chuck it in the bike and then get a friend to hold the mutlimeter on the terminals why you crank the bike. You will see the volts drop from the 12.3-12.9v to about 10v. If it drops below this the battery is stuffed and essentially would fail a load test. if it passes, once the bike starts measure the reading, if its below 14v your charging system is not working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.