Coolant leak(water pump or head gasket?)2006 600rr - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant leak(water pump or head gasket?)2006 600rr

hows it going folks? well my bike has started leaking coolant and running hot lately. i am not 100% certain as to where the coolant is coming from. ive had a couple people tell me it could be the head gasket and some say the water pump. whats the easiest way to troubleshoot my issue so i can eliminate possible sources of this leak? how long do the water pumps usually last on these bikes?(2006 600rr) ive tried searching threads and couldnt find anything that could possibly help me so any help at this point would be great. also ive got a buddy who owns a 2006 zx6r who just recently replaced his water pump and im thinking that could be my issue. thank you for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:52 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Uhh. Without looking at your bike we can't tell you where it's coming from. I'm assuming you can see it pooling on the ground - then just take the plastics off and let the thing run and keep looking until you see where it's coming from. External leaks are easy to spot so take your time and comb through the engine and the cooling systems.

As a sanity check, have a look at both your oil and coolant. If either or both look abnormal then one might be mixing with the other. Does the bike billow smoke out the pipe? If both of the fluids look fine and the bike isn't smoking, then chances are the head gasket is fine.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

the bike doesnt billow smoke out the pipe. only when in the morning when its cold(which ive been told is normal) as far as im aware of the fluids arent mixing. my last oil change the old oil looked like every other time ive done a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyoha View Post
Uhh. Without looking at your bike we can't tell you where it's coming from. I'm assuming you can see it pooling on the ground - then just take the plastics off and let the thing run and keep looking until you see where it's coming from. External leaks are easy to spot so take your time and comb through the engine and the cooling systems.

As a sanity check, have a look at both your oil and coolant. If either or both look abnormal then one might be mixing with the other. Does the bike billow smoke out the pipe? If both of the fluids look fine and the bike isn't smoking, then chances are the head gasket is fine.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 PM
Training Wheel Hero

You may want to invest in a new thermostat&o-ring, and radiator cleaner. My bike was running hot as well when I first bought it and it turns out the radiator had a handful of huge (talkin grape-sized) mineral deposits (someone didn't use distilled water) that fell out of it when I removed it to re-spraypaint it. Turns out the coolant sensor was also bad, as it didn't test out correctly on the multimeter, along with the thermostat which didn't open up enough at the correct temp according to the service manual.

If you still see white smoke coming out the pipe at the end of a midlength ride after you park it and leave it running, then you may have a headgasket leak.

2005 CBR600RR - bone stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page