Tried to start bike with kill switch off, now has FI light - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Tried to start bike with kill switch off, now has FI light

HI everyone.

I just did the R6 throttle tube mod. I had to go all the way to the throttle bodies to get the slack I needed for the cable.

I finished, and everything was going smooth until I went to test start the bike. It wouldn't start. I assumed that it just had no fuel in the fuel rail since I drained it and just held the start button for about 5 seconds, stopped for a few seconds then tried again for 5 more seconds. So 10 seconds of just trying to start the bike. Finally I realized that the stupid kill switch was off. I flipped it on and the bike started right up. *phew* I let the bike run for about 20 seconds and then I noticed the FI light was on. I turned the bike off checked all my connections then went to turn it back on and the bike was slow to turn over, but it did.

But it was sounding very slowly like it didn't want to idle at all (Unlike before I turned it off it was idling decently okay..) I turned it off thinking maybe I was causing damage by leaving it on.

I didn't try and start it again after that, figured I should stop and take a breather before I do more harm than good.

Now I am wondering if I flooded the cylinder from trying to start it for 10 seconds. It is about 40 degrees outside. When I turned the bike off I noticed a little "smoke" (or steam, idk, unburnt fuel perhaps?) coming out of the exhaust pipe. It was a very little amount that went away within seconds.

I was really careful the entire process and took notes of all the plugs I undid and I went through and checked all my connections already.

Any advice? I'm thinking I'm just going to let it sit for about 30 minutes then try and start again and see what happens...

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Mod List
-Akrapovic Slip on
-Arrow Headers
-DynoJet PCV
-DynoJet Quick Shifter
-K&N Air Filter
-Servo Delete
-PAIR Block off

Last edited by hero danny; 03-18-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Well, I went ahead and tried starting it again. She started and after idling for about 3 seconds the FI light came back on. I could smell gas and a decent amount of white smoke was coming out of the exhaust. I let it idle for about 90 seconds before shutting her off... I don't get it. I'm going to just go take everything apart one more time and make sure everything's connected..

I guess it's worth noting that I cleaned the air filter. But I followed the directions and made sure not to over oil it, and to only oil the side that faces out.

Is there any connectors that would really screw up the EFI? I had my computer plugged into the bike and I was getting a throttle percentage so I know it's not the TPS. I do have a power commander and Auto Tune, I noticed the auto tune was blinking green, not sure what that means.

Mod List
-Akrapovic Slip on
-Arrow Headers
-DynoJet PCV
-DynoJet Quick Shifter
-K&N Air Filter
-Servo Delete
-PAIR Block off

Last edited by hero danny; 03-18-2017 at 04:47 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Figured it out! There's a very tiny stupid rubber hose on the bottom of the airbox near the throttle cables that I never saw. Also there wasn't even a hose clamp on it. So I went ahead and added one reconnected it and put everything back together and she is now running perfect.
The Following User Says Thank You to hero danny For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (03-19-2017)

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Here I circled the hose and the part it connects to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3881_1489877230731.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	189442  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hero danny For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (03-19-2017), tary preisser (03-18-2017)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 07:06 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
that's the map (manifold absolute pressure) sensor. a very very important little device.

it measures how much vacuum is behind the throttle plates and helps your bike decide how much fuel to provide to the engine. if it's reading 1 atosphere (its disconnected state) then it's obviously out of range, as with the throttle closed you should have plenty of vacuum
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (03-19-2017)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What year model is this?

Last time I tore my '03 down I don't remember seeing that little hose. IIRC the MAP sensor is on the right next to the air box if you're looking at is from the seating position. It may have the hose, but has been ages since I've stripped mine.

Ride carefully - You are invisible.
FB | YT

Current: 2012 Street Triple R
Sold: 2001 NSR150SP | 2012 CBR250R
RIP: 2003 CBR600RR

Mods:
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:14 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Started reading your post and thought "small black MAP sensor hose" and see you got it. That one is missed a lot because it's easily missed when you take the air box off and it usually slips off without people even noticing or realizing it's there.

Glad you got it fixed.

The R6 throttle tube is a nice mod; it's a great throttle travel and should be that way from the factory. I've run a 1/4 turn and on the street it's just too twitchy to ride smoothly at times.

- '14 Honda CBR650F
- '14 Triumph Thruxton
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '04 Yamaha WR450F
- Past rides: too many to list
The Following User Says Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (03-19-2017)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
that's the map (manifold absolute pressure) sensor. a very very important little device.

it measures how much vacuum is behind the throttle plates and helps your bike decide how much fuel to provide to the engine. if it's reading 1 atosphere (its disconnected state) then it's obviously out of range, as with the throttle closed you should have plenty of vacuum
Jeeezz... Yeah, I am very surprised honda didn't put a hose clamp on it from the factory... seems too important to just have nothing... Luckily I had a small clamp laying around and I was able to tighten it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHonda View Post
What year model is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
Glad you got it fixed.

The R6 throttle tube is a nice mod; it's a great throttle travel and should be that way from the factory. I've run a 1/4 turn and on the street it's just too twitchy to ride smoothly at times.
Thanks lol.

I had debated it for months because I knew I didn't want to go down to the throttle bodies. Finally bit the bullet and just did it. It only takes about one hour to get down to the throttle bodies when you know what you are doing (unlike me who didn't and it ended up being an almost all day afair because I was troubleshooting so much lol)

I rode it down the street just to make sure everything was okay on the bike before I started putting the plastics back on and everything seemed fine. I had no grip on my throttle because I needed some superglue so I haven't really gotten the chance to properly feel the throttle. but WOT feels 1000X times better.

I can't wait to take it to the twisties once the weather warms up.

Mod List
-Akrapovic Slip on
-Arrow Headers
-DynoJet PCV
-DynoJet Quick Shifter
-K&N Air Filter
-Servo Delete
-PAIR Block off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page