Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Moto GP 2016 Round 5 Le Mans

4K views 36 replies 8 participants last post by  CBR Time 
#1 · (Edited)
Vale will be looking to repeat with his win in Jerez, Marc and Jorge will be very determined to take top spot back!! Can Dovi finally !!! get a good clean race , sure hope so!!

About the circuit
Built in 1965 around the existing 24-Hour track, the Le Mans Bugatti Grand Prix race circuit lies 5km south of the city of Le Mans and 200km south-west of Paris. The venue has hosted Grand Prix since the late sixties but a serious accident to Spanish rider Alberto Puig in 1995 saw it struck off the calendar until 2000 whilst stringent safety improvements were carried out.

Le Mans is a tight track dominated by first gear corners that place the emphasis on late braking and hard acceleration, whilst rear end traction is also a key area. With the capacity to comfortably accommodate up to 100,000 spectators, the Bugatti circuit also plays host to the 24 hour truck race, the FIA GP2 Championship, French Touring Car and GT races.

2015 Podium
JL, VR, AD

Circuit Records
Fastest Lap 2014 Marc MARQUEZ 1'32.042
Circuit Record 2015 Valentino ROSSI 1'32.879
Best Pole 2014 Marc MARQUEZ 1'32.042
Top Speed 2015 Andrea IANNONE 316.6

Current Points:
1 Marc Marquez Repsol Honda 82
2 Jorge Lorenzo Movistar Yamaha 65
3 Valentino Rossi Movistar Yamaha 58
4 Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda 40
5 Pol Espargaro Monster Yamaha Tech 3 36
6 Maverick Vinales Team Suzuki Ecstar 33
7 Aleix Espargaro Team Suzuki Ecstar 32
8 Hector Barbera Avintia Racing 31
9 Eugene Laverty Aspar Team MotoGP 28
10 Andrea Iannone Ducati Team 25
11 Andrea Dovizioso Ducati Team 23
12 Bradley Smith Monster Yamaha Tech 3 20
13 Stefan Bradl Aprilia Racing Team Gresini 17
14 Scott Redding Octo Pramac Yakhnich 16
15 Alvaro Bautista Aprilia Racing Team Gresini 14
16 Michele Pirro Octo Pramac Yakhnich 12
17 Tito Rabat Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS 11
18 Jack Miller Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS 2
19 Yonny Hernandez Avintia Racing 2
20 Loris Baz Avintia Racing 1

See less See more
#2 ·
Schedule all times are Eastern Time
Press Conf Thurs May 5 11am
FP1/2 Fri May 6
0300-0340 Moto 3 FP1
0355-0440 Moto GP FP1
0455-0540 Moto 2 FP1
0710-0750 Moto 3 FP2
0805-0850 Moto GP FP2
0905-0950 Moto 2 FP2

FP3/4Practice/Qual , Sat May 7
0300-0340 Moto 3 FP3
0355-0440 Moto GP FP3
0455-0540 Moto 2 FP3
0635-0715 Moto 3 QP
0730-0800 Moto GP FP4
0810-0825 Moto GP Q1
0835-0850 Moto GP Q2
0905-0950 Moto 2 QP

Sun May 8 RACE
0240-0300 Moto 3 WUP
0310-0330 Moto 2 WUP
0340-0400 Moto GP WUP
0500 Moto 3 RACE
0620 Moto 2 RACE
0800 Moto GP RACE

#3 ·
No clear favourite in ever tightening MotoGP™ championship

Valentino Rossi may have been untouchable in Jerez, but the MotoGP™ Championship is building towards an all out brawl.
Heading into the Spanish GP, riders in the MotoGP™ World Championship were playing catch up to Marc Marquez. The Repsol Honda rider had vanished into the distance at the Circuit of the Americas and everyone was left wondering if he’d do the same at home in Jerez. Or would it be Jorge Lorenzo who reclaimed the Spanish track as Lorenzo’s Land? Both, along with Valentino Rossi, had set the pace all weekend and the trio were in a league of their own. Qualifying saw them line up on the front row together for the third race in a row and with under two tenths of a second dividing them, everything looked set for a titanic clash.

However, there was no battle, no last corner do or die moves nor any unbelievable comebacks. Valentino Rossi proved, as any good role model does, that hard work pays off. He and his crew inside the Movistar Yamaha MotoGP garage prepared perfectly for the race and Rossi mastered the rising track temperature while his rivals struggled. Neither Marquez nor Lorenzo could hold a candle to ‘The Doctor’ as he ran away with victory, crossing the line over two seconds ahead of Lorenzo. For the first time in his premier class career, Rossi took a flag to flag victory from pole position, the 113th win of his long and illustrious career. Victory pulled Rossi up to third in the championship, but he’s still 24 points behind rival Marquez. Rossi needs to start winning, or at least beating both Lorenzo and Marquez but you can guarantee it will be tough. The three have always been at the top but in 2016 they’re truly ahead as the rest of the field plays catch up with the new rules, now one of them needs to assert themselves.

Marquez has so far been the only rider to finish on the podium in all four races; both Rossi and Lorenzo playing catch up after falls in Austin and Argentina. It’s this consistency that has Marquez at the head of the championship with 82 points, his maturity prevailing in Jerez to keep his lead alive. In years past Marquez would have likely pushed his Honda RC213V to breaking point in Jerez, producing a thrilling battle but also exponentially increasing his chances of crashing with each corner. Not so in Jerez, with tyre life rapidly fading he stayed safe and brought home 16 points with third.

As with Marquez, Lorenzo experienced severe tyre issues in Jerez, his rear wheel spinning down the straight and forcing him to roll off. Lorenzo was left to lament the tyre issues that removed any chance of challenging Rossi he had, second place allowed him to close the points difference to Marquez but the 2015 MotoGP™ World Champion had wanted more. Since 2012, Lorenzo is the only rider in the leading three to take more than a single victory in Le Mans, Rossi not having won there since 2008.

Weather often plays a major role in the French GP and could likely result in a fourth different winner of the season. The MotoGP™ World Championship remained in Jerez on Monday after the race for a one day test, a number of riders making significant improvements to their setup and heading to Monster Energy Grand Prix de France more prepared than ever.

For years Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda Team) has been considered an alien, at the front in almost every race but the new rules and current Honda have seen him off the pace. He’s been in the top five but hasn’t had the pace to challenge for victory in any races. Testing offered some much needed track time to Pedrosa and his crew who tried a number of setting changes to relieve the situation, the Monster Energy Grand Prix de France will show if the solutions worked.

One to watch is definitely Maverick Viñales (Team Suzuki Ecstar) who ended the test as the third fastest rider. Viñales has threatened the podium on several occasions this season and seems to be on the cusp of great things. Le Mans is a special circuit for Viñales as it was where he took his first World Championship victory in 2011 and one where he almost always goes well. The tight layout of the Le Mans circuit should suit the sweet handling GSX-RR well, but if recent rounds are anything to go by, Viñales may not be the only Suzuki in the podium hunt.

Only a single point behind his teammate in the championship, Aleix Espargaro (Team Suzuki Ecstar) is showing increasingly well with each passing round. He arrives in France with two straight fifth place finishes, his best ever successive results in the premier class. With the disappointing start to the season behind, Espargaro is back to showing his junior teammate how it’s done in MotoGP™.

Jerez proved to be a disastrous weekend once again for Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team), a water pump issue ending his race early. Ducati riders have always gone well at Le Mans, especially in the wet and it could be the lifeline Dovizioso needs to save his season. Both Dovizioso and teammate Andrea Iannone (Ducati Team) come to France having not only tested in Jerez, but also privately in Mugello.

It wasn’t just Dovizioso who had a tough weekend in Jerez, all of the Ducati riders had significant grip issues and like Lorenzo had problems with rear wheel spin on race day. None were hit worse than Scott Redding (Octo Pramac Yakhnich) who went on to finish a full minute behind Rossi. Both he and Dovizioso are looking for a much needed bit of good luck. Danilo Petrucci (Octo Pramac Yakhnich) looks set to make his GP return, having withdrawn in Qatar due to aggravating his pre-season hand injury. He will attempt to ride during practice and assess his condition as the weekend progresses

As the only French rider on the grid, Loris Baz (Avintia Racing) will be a popular man over the weekend. He’s had a rough start to the season, first corner incidents forcing him to spend multiple races playing catch up. His home debut in 2015 saw him take 12th on the Open Yamaha, his best finish from the first five races of the season. Now on a much more competitive machine, he could give the home crowd something to cheer about.

They may not have any French riders, but the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 squad are nevertheless excited for Le Mans as it is the team’s home race. Pol Espargaro (Monster Yamaha Tech 3) is currently fifth in the championship and leading the Independent Team rider battle and looking in much better form than in previous years. Le Mans was where Espargaro took his first and so far only MotoGP™ front row start in just his fifth premier class race. Teammate Bradley Smith has had a much more difficult time in 2016 and is looking to return to fighting with his teammate.

#4 ·
Interesting stat for Vales win in Jerez

Thanks to victory in Jerez, Valentino Rossi moves to ninth on the list of oldest winners.
With his win at Jerez, Valentino Rossi moves above Phil Read in the following table of the oldest riders of all-time to win in the premier-class of grand prix racing. He is the second oldest rider to win in the MotoGP™ era, after Troy Bayliss. To become the oldest rider to win in the MotoGP™ era he needs to take a victory at the Aragon Grand Prix later this season or at sometime after.

1 Ferguson Anderson 44 years 237 days Spain / 1953 / Montjuic
2 Jack Findlay 42 years 85 days Austria / 1977 / Salzburgring
3 Les Graham 41 years 21 days Spain / 1952 / Montjuic
4 Jack Ahearn 39 years 327 days Finland/ 1964/ Imatra
5 Harold Daniell 39 years 240 days Isle of Man / 1949 / Tourist Trophy
6 Frantisek Stastny 38 years 247 days East Germany / 1966 / Sachsenring
7 Nello Pagani 37 years 328 days Italy/ 1949 / Monza
8 Troy Bayliss 37 years 213 days Valencia / 2006 / Ricardo Tormo
9 Valentino Rossi 37 years 68 days Spain / 2016 / Jerez
10 Phil Read 36 years 235 days Czech / 1975/ Brno

#5 ·
93 Most consistent rider thus far

Four podiums in four races and the championship lead; it’s been a pretty good start to 2016 for Marc Marquez.
Consistency hasn’t always been Marc Marquez’s strong point, but in 2016 he’s been the most consistent of them all and been the only rider in the premier class to take four straight podiums. This form has given him the championship lead, the Repsol Honda Team man is 17-points ahead of Jorge Lorenzo (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP). After third in Jerez, Marquez comes to Le Mans quietly confident with a strong post-race test behind him. During the test the Spaniard focused on improving electronics and chassis setup to improve grip and reduce wheelie out of corners. The French track has many heavy acceleration points, similar to Austin and Marquez is hopeful his RC213V will excel in Le Mans as it did in America.

Marc Marquez: “I like the Le Mans track although it requires that you be ready to deal with many variables. To begin with, the weather: you never know what it will do there. Last year the temperature rose significantly on Sunday and we suffered a lot with front grip in the race. Rain also isn’t unusual there. In addition, the track has a stop-and-go layout, with many slow turns where braking and acceleration are crucial. We’ll see if we find ourselves in a situation similar to Austin, where acceleration out of slow corners was a lot better than expected, or if we have to face a bigger challenge. During the last test in Jerez, we worked a lot on electronics and the chassis setting to find more grip, and on the balance of the bike to reduce wheelieing. It’s always a compromise but I think we’ve gathered useful info for Le Mans and, knowing how far we’ve come since this winter and how quickly we’ve been able to react to many situations, I feel confident and look forward to starting the next racing weekend.”

#8 ·
Via motogp site today
Pedrosa set for Yamaha switch?
The MotoGP™ World Championship has been sent into a ‘silly season’ spin after Jorge Lorenzo announced he would move to Ducati for 2017. British newspaper MCN has continued to report on the rumoured movements within the paddock, their latest report suggesting that Dani Pedrosa could make a shock move to the Movistar Yamaha MotoGP team. The situation with who is going where and when continues to change but MCN believe that Suzuki have retained the services of Maverick Viñales and Yamaha have turned their attention on the experienced Dani Pedrosa to ride alongside Valentino Rossi in 2017.

Since 2006 Dani Pedrosa has been a stalwart of the Repsol Honda Team, his replacement would have big shoes to fill. Again MCN believe that his replacement could be Cal Crutchlow whose riding style is closer to that of Marc Marquez. Of course there is nothing yet official with only Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo having confirmed their seats for 2017.

#10 ·
From todays Press Conf: Folger to Tech 3 , good for him!

Consistency has so far helped three riders stand out in the premier class, a tricky Le Mans circuit will test their ability to the limit.
Now back in Europe, the MotoGP™ World Championship settles into a familiar rhythm with a steady stream of race weekends. The season has well and truly begun and leading the way is once again Marc Marquez (Repsol Honda Team). As the championship leader, he was of course in the pre-race press conference at the Monster Energy Grand Prix de France. Sitting either side of him were the Movistar Yamaha MotoGP duo of Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo, both able to best him at the Spanish GP and reduce his points advantage. Aleix Espargaro (Team Suzuki Ecstar) was also present with home riders Loris Baz (Avintia Racing) and Johann Zarco (Ajo Motorsport) were also in attendance. With some special news to share, Jonas Folger (Dynavolt Intact GP) was a late addition to the press conference roster.

Consistency hasn’t always been Marquez’s strongest point, but in 2016 he has taken on the lessons of the past and is the only rider to take four podiums in four races in the premier class. His Honda may not be perfect, but Marquez is making it work when he can and has the championship lead in hand: “At the moment if I want to be at this position I must be consistent because at least I don’t feel that I can attack or I don’t have the best feeling with the bike. We’re working hard with Honda and the team to improve this and yeah it looks like step by step we’re getting better.”

The Le Mans circuit is characterised by its ‘stop and go’ nature, requiring a refined setup to handle the hard braking. This should suit Marquez exceedingly well: “It’s not an easy track but it’s one of the tracks I like. It’s a special one because it’s stop and go but for my riding style it’s quite good. Last year on Sunday I had some problems with the front tyre, similar problems I had last Sunday in Jerez.”

In his last seven visits to the Le Mans circuit, Lorenzo has taken four victories but never a pole position in the blue ribbon class: “Le Mans, even from the 125cc era and years has been one of my favourite tracks where I have been one of the fastest. So yeah, a lot of victories and last year I got the victory here after two years with not very good results. In 2015 I finished seventh and in 2014 I think sixth so finally last year I got on the podium.”

After some difficulties in Jerez with a spinning rear, Lorenzo is confident that the issues will not re-appear: “Michelin is working hard after the problems that most of the riders had in the Jerez race. Michelin bring three different rear tyres, so let’s see if one, which is quite different from the other two, solves the problems a little in the straight.” For 2016 Michelin have also introduced an intermediate tyre option, which could be brought out in Le Mans given the circuit’s past history with rain.

As the most experienced rider in the paddock, Valentino Rossi is well aware that the weather will play a defining role in the weekend’s proceedings: “Here is always difficult, it’s a difficult track and we have to wait for the weather during the weekend. It can change a lot during the weekend and we hope for the good weather like during the last two years. In 2014 and 2015 I did two good races, I didn’t win I always finish second but I was quite strong so this is the target.”

Who will be Rossi’s teammate in 2017 has been one of the most talked about topics in recent weeks, ‘The Doctor’ finally responded to rumours about whether it could be Dani Pedrosa or Maverick Viñales: “In the last days a lot of rumours about Pedrosa. I think that for the second rider, Movistar want a Spanish rider and I think Viñales or Pedrosa are the most possible. I don’t know the percentage, one or the other you have to speak with Yamaha. For me it’s the same.”

After two top five finishes, Aleix Espargaro is once again pushing the Suzuki closer and closer to the podium: “The engineers are working a lot harder than last year and we can see that the GSX-RR is improving a lot. Still not what we want to fight for the podium, but much closer. Last weekend we were more fast than the Ducatis all weekend and closer to the Yamahas and Honda. We try to reconfirm in the next rounds, but we’re still not ready to fight with the top guys. We’re really really close.” Suzuki’s last MotoGP™ victory came at Le Mans back in 2007 thanks to Chris Vermeulen’s excellent wet weather riding.

Loris Baz is overjoyed to be riding in front of his home fans for the second time, his racing career having gone almost full circle: “I remember when I was coming as a child to watch the GP and push Randy [De Puniet] riding in the 250s. I remember this really well and now I’m really happy because I’m in the other part, I’m on the grid with these guys. It’s just an amazing feeling and I know where I come from and manage to enjoy it a lot.”

The tall Frenchman is aiming for a top ten after a tricky start to the season: “Of course we had some problems at the beginning of the season, we were able to score some important positions in Argentina and Texas but we were missing some luck, especially in Argentina. In the end this is racing and I was maybe in the wrong place at the wrong moment. Also in Jerez where I was in an incident in Turn 6 so I had to start from last again and this changes the whole race. Nobody is waiting for you. Hopefully I can score the first top ten this weekend, that’s the target.”

Johann Zarco remains in the Moto2™ World Championship as he quests to become the first ever-double Moto2™ champion. It hasn’t been an easy season but the local hero is taking it in his stride: “It’s always competitive in Moto2 and really there’s no regrets to stay because I am learning a lot. Being champion in 2015 has been fantastic but now it’s another target to be champion again and win races. When it’s difficult is when you learn the most because when it’s going well you want to learn but you’re thinking what was good and what was wrong but maybe some things aren’t wrong. But when you’re doing wrong maybe you understand it better.”

As more and more riders sign for MotoGP™ team in 2017, Zarco’s plans remain unknown but there are certainly some interesting avenues opening: “I found a way with Suzuki to test the MotoGP in Japan and also they ask me to do the 8 Horus of Suzuka. I’ve never been there but I say yes because I like to train with a road bike. I have a feeling with the road bike and it’s good to try this race and be part of this for Suzuki and hope to be with Suzuki in 2017. It’s also part of the job this summer, to prove what I can do and go in MotoGP. The test doesn’t yet mean we have a place with them, but for sure if they give me this opportunity it’s not to be with another brand.”

Jonas Folger was a late addition to the press conference as the German announced he will campaign the 2017 MotoGP™ season with the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 squad: “I am very happy and excited about next year, it’s a dream for all of us riders to be in MotoGP one day. I’m very happy that Yamaha, Tech 3 and also Herve believe in me and are giving me such a great opportunity for next year which is also great because I can now focus clearly on this season, I’m very thankful. It’s a dream come true.”

#11 ·
Maverick talks about his future....

Where Maverick Viñales will go for in 2017 has been the one of the hottest topics in the paddock, now the Spaniard has shed some light.
There’s no doubt that Maverick Viñales is one of the hottest properties in the MotoGP™ World Championship paddock. Since taking the Moto3™ World Championship in 2013 his rise has continued at a rapid pace, spending just a year in Moto2™ before joining the premier class. As soon as Jorge Lorenzo announced his move to Ducati for 2017, the question immediately became who would replace him and at the top of many people’s lists was Maverick Viñales.

While he didn’t reveal who the other team was, it’s clear that Team Suzuki Ecstar aren’t the only ones after Viñales: “I have two teams that can be at the top. I have one team that gave me the trust when I was in Moto2 and still now I am the reference and can be the reference. Then I have another team that is already there winning so it’s really difficult to make the decision.”

There’s only one thing a young rider wants to do when they move to MotoGP™: win. But as Viñales is quickly finding out, it’s not always that straight forward: “I came to MotoGP to win. Suzuki in a year have made an incredible step and if we have a perfect weekend we can fight for the podium. This also makes me think a lot and I trust in Davide Brivio a lot, it makes me think. In the test we were perfect and we were second, so this makes me think a lot too. It’s so difficult; honestly I thought it would be easy to say here or here but one day I think here and the next day there!

“If I think easy, I check the list and see Yamaha first and second but then I start to think with my head, what I need and that changes everything. At the moment I’m between the two, it changes day by day. Everyday I’m more convinced to go with one team but it’s not enough.”

Even though this is easily the biggest decision of his career, Viñales isn’t about to let it slow him down during the French GP: “When I go to the bike it’s another world, I’m out of everything. Also for my team it’s important to know because right now they’re a little nervous. I think about this at home, not here.”

#12 · (Edited)
BIG News, looks like Dani will sign with Movistar Yamaha and team up with Rossi for 2017 !! David Emmett via Twitter https://twitter.com/motomatters/status/728696300926021633 still not sure as of yet if Maverick told them he wants to stay with Suzuki or if Yamaha made the decision for him?? taking Dani's seat looks to be Cal .... still no word on who will leave Ducati 04 or 29....

#13 ·
FP1 Results:

1. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 34.042s [Lap 18/20] 313km/h (Top Speed)
2. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 34.086s +0.044s [17/20] 312km/h
3. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 34.323s +0.281s [20/21] 309km/h
4. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 34.343s +0.301s [15/18] 314km/h
5. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 34.452s +0.410s [18/22] 307km/h
6. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 34.489s +0.447s [18/19] 316km/h
7. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 34.597s +0.555s [19/20] 309km/h
8. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 34.632s +0.590s [19/20] 308km/h
9. Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 34.727s +0.685s [19/21] 303km/h
10. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 34.732s +0.690s [18/20] 308km/h
11. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 34.757s +0.715s [22/22] 309km/h
12. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 34.799s +0.757s [19/19] 302km/h
13. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 34.816s +0.774s [18/19] 312km/h
14. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 34.984s +0.942s [17/19] 313km/h
15. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 35.308s +1.266s [19/19] 306km/h
16. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 35.355s +1.313s [16/17] 306km/h
17. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 35.381s +1.339s [18/20] 299km/h
18. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 35.465s +1.423s [14/18] 302km/h
19. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 35.798s +1.756s [17/18] 307km/h
20. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 1m 36.283s +2.241s [13/21] 298km/h
21. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 36.472s +2.430s [12/16] 307km/h

FP2 Results:

Jorge Lorenzo moves to the top during FP2 for the French MotoGP at Le Mans.

Danilo Petrucci is making his comeback after missing the previous four races due to a fractured hand...

1. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 32.830s [Lap 16/19] 312km/h (Top Speed)
2. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 33.169s +0.339s [20/20] 314km/h
3. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 33.313s +0.483s [19/21] 307km/h
4. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 33.406s +0.576s [20/22] 309km/h
5. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 33.574s +0.744s [21/21] 316km/h
6. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 33.595s +0.765s [17/18] 304km/h
7. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 33.613s +0.783s [19/20] 307km/h
8. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 33.748s +0.918s [8/20] 309km/h
9. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 33.951s +1.121s [18/20] 311km/h
10. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 33.974s +1.144s [16/19] 306km/h
11. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 34.050s +1.220s [17/20] 310km/h
12. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 34.053s +1.223s [13/14] 309km/h
13. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 34.083s +1.253s [17/17] 310km/h
14. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 34.306s +1.476s [18/23] 308km/h
15. Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 34.364s +1.534s [15/16] 302km/h
16. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 34.425s +1.595s [18/19] 309km/h
17. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 34.531s +1.701s [17/18] 307km/h
18. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 34.656s +1.826s [17/18] 305km/h
19. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 34.742s +1.912s [17/20] 300km/h
20. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 1m 34.789s +1.959s [22/22] 300km/h
21. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 35.089s +2.259s [18/19] 306km/h

#18 ·
FP3 Results:
FP3:
1. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 32.528s [Lap 20/20] 315km/h (Top Speed)
2. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 32.533s +0.005s [16/20] 313km/h
3. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 32.662s +0.134s [18/20] 309km/h
4. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 32.718s +0.190s [19/20] 308km/h
5. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 32.839s +0.311s [19/20] 308km/h
6. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 32.915s +0.387s [20/22] 314km/h
7. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 33.012s +0.484s [19/21] 308km/h
8. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 33.013s +0.485s [18/20] 316km/h
9. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 33.182s +0.654s [21/21] 308km/h
10. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 33.242s +0.714s [19/20] 306km/h
11. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 33.413s +0.885s [18/21] 308km/h
12. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 33.522s +0.994s [16/19] 310km/h
13. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 33.619s +1.091s [18/19] 313km/h
14. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 33.682s +1.154s [6/11] 304km/h
15. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 33.878s +1.350s [17/17] 305km/h
16. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 33.984s +1.456s [19/19] 305km/h
17. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 34.067s +1.539s [19/19] 309km/h
18. Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 34.146s +1.618s [17/19] 301km/h
19. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 34.485s +1.957s [15/17] 299km/h
20. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 34.716s +2.188s [16/19] 304km/h
21. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 1m 34.898s +2.370s [20/20] 299km/h

FP4 Results:
1. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 32.801s [Lap 13/13] 311km/h (Top Speed)
2. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 33.333s +0.532s [7/15] 306km/h
3. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 33.381s +0.580s [7/15] 309km/h
4. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 33.493s +0.692s [10/14] 316km/h
5. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 33.522s +0.721s [6/15] 314km/h
6. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 33.528s +0.727s [15/16] 310km/h
7. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 33.749s +0.948s [15/15] 310km/h
8. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 33.887s +1.086s [11/15] 308km/h
9. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 33.940s +1.139s [16/16] 307km/h
10. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 33.950s +1.149s [14/14] 311km/h
11. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 34.010s +1.209s [7/15] 305km/h
12. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 34.164s +1.363s [5/11] 306km/h
13. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 34.189s +1.388s [7/13] 302km/h
14. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 34.304s +1.503s [10/11] 311km/h
15. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 34.317s +1.516s [8/13] 306km/h
16. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 34.330s +1.529s [9/13] 306km/h
17. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 34.478s +1.677s [11/12] 311km/h
18. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 1m 34.652s +1.851s [13/15] 300km/h
19. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 34.926s +2.125s [12/13] 304km/h
20. Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 34.933s +2.132s [3/12] 300km/h
21. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 35.139s +2.338s [11/15] 302km/h

#19 ·
Qualifying 2:
1. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 31.975s [Lap 7/7] 313km/h (Top Speed)
2. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 32.416s +0.441s [8/9] 306km/h
3. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 32.469s +0.494s [3/6] 314km/h
4. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 32.502s +0.527s [8/8] 313km/h
5. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 1m 32.587s +0.612s [6/8] 313km/h
6. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m 32.820s +0.845s [7/8] 310km/h
7. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m 32.829s +0.854s [3/8] 311km/h
8. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 32.933s +0.958s [8/8] 308km/h
9. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m 32.963s +0.988s [6/7] 308km/h
10. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 33.102s +1.127s [6/7] 310km/h
11. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m 33.109s +1.134s [3/7] 311km/h
12. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m 33.115s +1.140s [7/7] 306km/h

Qualifying 1:
13. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 33.291s 312km/h
14. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 1m 33.310s 310km/h
15. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 33.360s 304km/h
16. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 33.452s 311km/h
17. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 34.003s 301km/h
18. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m 34.049s 307km/h
19. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m 34.333s 305km/h
20. Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 1m 34.348s 299km/h
21. Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 1m 34.455s 303km/h

#20 ·
MotoGP France: Red-hot Lorenzo blitzes pole record 7 May 2016
MotoGP World Champion Jorge Lorenzo takes his first premier class pole at Le Mans in dominant style on the Movistar Yamaha to head up the front row with Honda's Marc Marquez and Ducati's Andrea Iannone.

Jorge Lorenzo achieved his first premier class pole at Le Mans in emphatic style as the Movistar Yamaha rider set a new record to claim the top spot ahead of Repsol Honda's Marc Marquez and Andrea Iannone on the Ducati.

Lorenzo quickly put down a marker as he clocked the fastest time of the weekend at the French circuit on his first flying lap but better was to come from the reigning world champion, who became the first rider ever to dip into the 1m 31s bracket at Le Mans.

The Mallorcan clocked a blistering time of 1m 31.975s to take pole for the very first time in MotoGP at the legendary venue, four tenths ahead of Marquez.

Iannone, who had led the way in FP3 on the factory Desmosedici, managed to put the Ducati on the front row even though the Italian came off on his out lap as he prepared for his final time attack.

He managed to return to the pits and ventured back out on his number two bike and although he failed to better his time from his first run, Iannone's lap of 1m 32.469s prior to his spill was good enough for third, only 0.053s behind Marquez.

Pol Espargaro managed to build on his pace from FP3 as the Monster Tech 3 Yamaha rider slotted into fourth to lead the satellite charge, lapping in 1m 32.502s.

Andrea Dovizioso was next on the second factory Ducati, while Bradley Smith climbed to sixth to complete row two as the British rider secured his best qualifying result of the year on the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 machine.

Jerez winner Valentino Rossi continued to struggle to match the pace of the leading riders on the Movistar Yamaha and heads up row three, with the Doctor's lap of 1m 32.829s a huge eight tenths slower than Lorenzo's blistering benchmark.

He is joined on the third row by Suzuki's Maverick Vinales and Cal Crutchlow on the LCR Honda, while the top ten is rounded out by the returning Danilo Petrucci on the Pramac Ducati, who came off in Q2 but escaped unscathed.

Honda's Dani Pedrosa finds himself down in 11th position after an early tumble at turn four on the Repsol RC213V.

Pedrosa, making the headlines at Le Mans as he continues to be linked with a move to Yamaha in 2017, switched to his second machine but could only manage a best lap of 1m 33.109s as he completed Q2 1.1 seconds off the pace of Lorenzo.

Aleix Espargaro will start from 12th place on the second factory Suzuki GSX-RR ahead of Avintia Ducati's Hector Barbera and Scott Redding (Pramac Ducati).

Aspar Ducati riders Yonny Hernandez and Eugene Laverty were 14th and 15th respectively in front of Aprilia's Stefan Bradl and Jack Miller on the Marc VDS Honda.

Alvaro Bautista (Aprilia), rookie Tito Rabat (Marc VDS Honda) and Frenchman Loris Baz (Avintia Ducati) complete the last row of the grid.

#21 ·
Did anyone watch the interview on BT Sports with the manager of Vinales? He was saying that the Yamaha offer was still on the table and that Vinales was still deciding. He seemed put off about the rumors that a deal was made with Pedrosa. We will find out soon enough I guess.

#24 ·
Just watched, wow lots of crashes and a crazy battle for second right up to the point where Dovi and Marc had exact same crashes at the same time :( my god Dovi i dont know what to say :( Great race by 99 so consistent!! Vale taking second and Maverick finally on the podium!!! happy for him!! So Vale, Marc and Jorge have all crashed once now and hopefully all there last. Going to be a good fight now!!

Jorge Lorenzo dominates the French MotoGP, winning by 10sec over team-mate Valentino Rossi.
Suzuki's Maverick Vinales took his first ever MotoGP podium after a bizarre incident saw both Andrea Dovizioso and Marc Marquez slide off at almost exactly the same time

1. Jorge Lorenzo ESP Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 43m 51.290s
2. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 44m 1.944s
3. Maverick Viñales ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 44m 5.467s
4. Dani Pedrosa ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 44m 10.009s
5. Pol Espargaro ESP Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 44m 16.221s
6. Aleix Espargaro ESP Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 44m 24.211s
7. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 44m 29.541s
8. Hector Barbera ESP Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 44m 29.794s
9. Alvaro Bautista ESP Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 44m 39.826s
10. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 44m 45.792s
11. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 44m 53.967s
12. Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 44m 58.948s
13. Marc Marquez ESP Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) +1 lap
Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) DNF
Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) DNF
Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) DNF
Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) DNF
Tito Rabat ESP Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* DNF
Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) DNF
Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) DNF
Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) DNF

#25 ·
Riders' World Championship:

1. Jorge Lorenzo SPA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 90 points
2. Marc Marquez SPA Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 85 points (-5)
3. Valentino Rossi ITA Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 78 points (-12)
4. Dani Pedrosa SPA Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 53 points (-37)
5. Maverick Viñales SPA Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 49 points (-41)
6. Pol Espargaro SPA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 47 points (-43)
7. Aleix Espargaro SPA Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 42 points (-48)
8. Hector Barbera SPA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 39 points (-51)
9. Eugene Laverty IRL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 33 points (-57)
10. Andrea Iannone ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 25 points (-65)
11. Andrea Dovizioso ITA Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP) 23 points (-67)
12. Stefan Bradl GER Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 23 points (-67)
13. Alvaro Bautista SPA Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 21 points (-69)
14. Bradley Smith GBR Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 20 points (-70)
15. Scott Redding GBR Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 16 points (-74)
16. Michele Pirro ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 12 points (-78)
17. Tito Rabat SPA Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V)* 11 points (-79)
18. Danilo Petrucci ITA Octo Pramac Yakhnich (Desmosedici GP15) 9 points (-81)
19. Loris Baz FRA Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP14.2) 8 points (-82)
20. Cal Crutchlow GBR LCR Honda (RC213V) 5 points (-85)
21. Yonny Hernandez COL Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP14.2) 3 points (-87)
22. Jack Miller AUS Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 0 points (-90)

#26 ·
Marc Marquez crashed out of fourth place at the French GP, remounting to finish in 13th but relinquishing his championship to Jorge Lorenzo.
Marquez started from second on the grid but got bogged down at the start of the race, before recovering to fourth by the end of the first lap. Try as he might but he could not make a dent in the gap to the leaders, but then Andrea Iannone (Ducati Team) crashed out of the race on lap 7 to promote the Spaniard into third. With 16 laps to go, Marquez’s hard front tyre choice was coming into its own and he had managed to catch the second placed Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati Team), although Valentino Rossi had also become embroiled in the battle for the podium at this point.

Rossi would pass them both to leave Marquez in an excellent fight for the final podium spot with Dovizioso, but with just 13 laps to go disaster would strike for the double MotoGP™ World Champion. Marquez losing the front at Musée corner at exactly the same time as Dovizioso in front of him. Luckily Marquez was able to remount and re-join the race, eventually crossing the line in 13th and collecting three vital championship points. Unfortunately this now means Marquez (85pts) has relinquished his Championship lead to Jorge Lorenzo (90pts) and trails his compatriot by five points, with Rossi just a further 7 points back in third

Marquez will be looking to bounce back at round six of the 2016 MotoGP™ World Championship in Mugello, the Gran Premio d’Italia TIM, which takes place from the 20th to the 22nd of May.

Marc Marquez: “It was a pity about the crash today. I was having a good race, but these things can happen when you’re at the limit on every lap. I could have opted for a more conservative race, but here you can end up far back if you do that, so today I had to take risks. In the race I saw that I was losing ground under acceleration, and I had to make that back with my braking. Finally I lost the front and crashed. The positive is that I managed to get three points and I’m only five off Jorge Lorenzo in the standings, which isn’t a lot. Now we have a run of tracks that we found a little tough last year, but they’re quite different to Jerez and Le Mans, so I hope to be fast and have some good races.”

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.