Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

side exit exhaust ideas (*muffler system*)

46K views 121 replies 33 participants last post by  08cbrnj 
#1 ·
so ive been doing some flipping through pages of Ebay, CL, etc.. and have a few ideas of which exhaust i will be using for the side exit conversion. the mufflers ive chosen so far are from various bikes.

got any ideas on it yourself? ill be more than happy to read some opinions.

from an 06 gsx-r ive always loved the tiny MotoGP style

from an 08 cbr1krr most likely done in titanium.

kawasaki zx10r (11+)

ideas? thoughts? as you can see, a 2-bros free environment :)

See less See more
#3 ·
oh yeah ill be doing a write up on it, plenty of pictures and explanation. stay tuned :)

#4 ·
ive came to the conclusion, that this is the exhaust i will be using. ill be searching for a used on to save on $$, so if anyone happens to stumble upon one, lmk :)
this is with the 350mm extension made by none other than termignoni for an 06+ yamaha r6

#5 ·
I think it's funny that a few years ago everyone wanted to convert their bikes to undertail exhausts. Now those that have undertail exhausts want to convert to side exit. Does anyone remember the Dr. Seuss story about the Starbellys?

#9 · (Edited)
history does repeat itself. rather, lately its been pretty ass backwards repetition. :banger:

but the real question to ask is:
"when the F%&* will people stop wanting to ruin their bikes with extended swingarms?"

#8 ·
it may look like the most awesome bike ever.
i thought of the idea a few years back when i first saw the new cbr1k (i was riding my R1 as a streetbike then) and wondered how cool THAT subframe/seat would look on my yama.
here's a link to one thats already been done actually:
http://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=231980&page=2

mine WON'T be left sided exhaust though, and mine will be a different fairing set, along with other "stay going-fast" goodies.

#13 ·
yeah it looks easier to do since you dont have to bring the system back around the engine, but it adds even more weight to the left side.. which is already cluttered by the chain/sprocket

#16 ·
dinggg dingg!!
just bought the subframe + battery box off ebay along with a seat & tail light.

looks very clean! and already black :)

im still looking for deals on the trim pieces. if anybody knows of any, lmk :) i look forward to it being here so i can get to work on mounting and writing up a DYI thread.

#22 ·
that is Clarkies. he did his a bit differently than me, i plan making the same impact though. im making a bike that i see in my head, something that i, and others that share the same interests as me can enjoy. check out my build thread to see progess. this is just a major update thread.

#20 ·
If you can get your hands on it and make it work, I'd get a Taylor Made Side Exhaust. That's the ONLY side exhaust I'd ever get. If you know what it is, then you'll know why. Hahaha.

Tail looks good man. How are you going to get the seat to fit?

#21 ·
hell id love to get one of those, make it work and all but so far ideas are still in the air.... any cbr1k exhaust besides 2bros (hate with a passion) and FMF (edgy cigar..FMF brand is trashy unless on a dirtbike imo). but really it'll come down to whats avail in my price range when i get the $ to get it done.

#25 ·
#31 ·
i think the exhaust looks like one of the older styles from the ancient 90's dinosaur chrome cigars. it looks nice dont get me wrong, but i am looking for a more smaller design.

#32 ·
hey carrot?
you probably know this, but you'll need to put something internal inside the shorter side exhaust to cut back pressure & also simulate the longer 'stock' exhaust. like you mentioned w/the taylor made, they don't make very good power short, so you can compensate buy inserting some packing & an internal pipe w/holes in it

see the drilled out pipe; something like that is what i'm referring to. shouldn't cut the noise level too much, but will make the exhaust 'seem' like it's having to travel further, thus bringing similar performance as the stock or longer tip even though it's shorter. honda put in a lot of research & in most cases the longer tipped exhausts make better power

(capture merely for example of inner pipe)

Reactions: caRRot
#33 ·
wow, i was wondering about the exhaust being so much shorter, a good 2 feet at least. i guess ill have to see how things go and how everyhting will fit behind the engine/wheel area. not much room :(

#34 · (Edited)
would the shorter exhaust realy make less power if u had a full dyno tune?? I'm curiouse now, bc my bikes stock exhaust had a big cat./muffler Under it plus the stock can. And now w/ the full termi. It has absolutly nothing. And the can is a streight through 2" tube. Although the inside does have holes in it (similar to the above pic.) But still I wouldn't think that would make up for losing everything else.

Sent from my epic-4G

#35 ·
i think its more in relation to where your bike makes the power in it's specific powerband. since the R6 is tuned strictly for topend, the short exhaust helps by offering little resistance in exhaust flow. vs the cbr which makes it in midrange. a long even flowing exhaust im guessing would be best.

#40 ·
as far as rearsets go?

ya i still have mine. but im not the one sellin the one i posted the link of. and ya i think he still has it.(atleast theres no post sayin it sold).

im curious to how an rr would sound w/ a termi on it.

sorry lol, im a blonde. & me too...

#43 ·
The probem with doing a short right-side exhaust like the 1000RR is that the sump really needs to be reversed. As it is now the sump/oil pick-up is on the right side, to make room for a right-side underneath exhaust that went into an s-bend it needs to be on the left side. It's why I did mine on the left side, sometimes easier is a good thing ;)

As far as the power, like it was mentioned it will just move the power in the rpm range.

#44 ·
well, ive done the pipe layout already, no issues bringing it out the right side as far as i can see, ill be posting pictures so errbody can check it out.

any updates

done anything new?
this coming sunday ill be cutting the mid pipe that will accept the rest of the exhaust pretty much as soon as it comes in. but as far as ordering the exhaust and fairings goes, just waiting on $ lol. i need a fast forward button. that and i still havent decided on a color..

#46 ·
i have actually decided to go with the MGP exhaust due to $ restraints and lack of patience.
in other news, just got my new GPI stands today. its been raining like a MOFO here lately, and ive been working 60+ hrs a week, but im staying persistent! updates soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.