Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Flashed ECU

56K views 109 replies 42 participants last post by  gxtoast 
#1 ·
Anyone here running a bike with a flashed ECU?

I'm looking to get mine done in the next few weeks. Just curious if anyone has any experiences good or bad.

I know I've seen some promising Dyno charts...so I'm ready :spank: my little 2-wheeled hussie

:banger:

#4 ·
Roughly about that much....I've heard the same also. The tech told me on a 07 1000 that he was able to smooth out the throttle and gained 8hp AFTER pulling a power commander out of the bike along with some other component. Unfortunately I can't read the dyno chart very well on the company's release.

A stock component performing better than a PC? I'm ready....bring it!

#7 ·
I was looking at getting this done but was wondering if its possible to still run the pcv along with this or does this take its place? And would this work if you change up the exhaust and intake?

#8 ·
As far as I know, NO pcv work needed, removal or otherwise. Since it's the stock component working with other stock components, it shouldn't be a problem, as far as I know.

Trust me I will bump this thread with my review and report back. I'm just thinking one less item to cram into the bike would be really nice.

#10 ·
according to motomummy its different for every bike in terms of the pc thing, i copied this from their forum (link to original: http://forum.motomummy.com/index.php?/topic/1202-motomummy-ecunleashed-authorized-dealer/), it was posted by a staff member from motomummy

I'm sure that many of you have heard of ecu flashing over the last year or two. We have been following it closely and watching it evolve and waiting for it to reach a point where it is today. The biggest problem with it, compared to the car market, is the lack of information on the bike side. So we are going to keep a lot of the information in this thread. If you have any questions, something to add, etc, this is the place to post it.

Overview: ECUnleashed is a flash. So the stock ecu is flashed. There is no hardware, software, etc that you're given. You send your ECU to us and we hook up a small computer, shown below and flash/program the ecu and then we send your ECU back to you with the new parameters programmed in. You then just plug your ECU back into your bike and you're done.

What exactly is changed inside my ECU? Your ECU is constantly altering data, sending data, and receiving data from all the sensors an aspects of the bike. ECU tuning will change how your ECU uses this data, when it sends check engine lights, alter the fuel and timing maps, etc. The stock is limited and held back by many variables. One of the most hindering aspects is passing emissions. ECUnleashed goes in and alters hundreds to thousands of variables in an effort to give you the best performing bike. However, the downside, like all aftermarket parts, is that ECUnleashed is for off road use only (same as powercommander, Bazzaz, all exhausts, etc).

Will any bike see a difference with ECUnleashed? Yes! Every bike will notice a difference on deceleration/engine braking, smoother throttle, smoother off throttle, and on most all bikes a power increase is given. Such as the R1's 4-10hp is achieved at different parts of the powerband. On Suzuki's you won't need to buy a TRE or plug for your oem steering damper if you go with an aftermarket damper as the ecu code for the set valve and steering damper have been removed. You can raise the idle of your bike, when the fans kick in for the radiator, etc.

Do I need a Powercommander or Bazzaz? This is one area that we have seen lots of miss information on. The answer is no and yes. It's no in that the ECU is flashed for fuel based on if you have a slipon or full exhaust. However, it's a generic map and not a custom map for your bike. On some bikes it may be dead on and on others it may be a bit off. However, if you're going to spend this kind of money (on ECUnleashed) to have your bike running this much better why not maximize it and get a Powercommander or Bazzaz with a custom dyno tune or the auto tuner or Zafm. With ECUnleashed you cannot use the downloaded Powercommander maps anymore as they are designed for a stock ecu. So only run a fuel controller if you self tune it with the auto tuner or Zafm, or if you get a custom dyno tune. This is also the best route to take as it gives you options to change the exhaust, put the fueling back to stock to remove the exhaust, etc. A piggy back fuel controller is very versatile and offers a lot and ECUnleashed isn't a replacement for one as fuel maps is just a tiny part of what ECUnleashed does. It does much, much more.

What if I already have a Bazzaz or Powercommander? ECUnleashed will still give you many benefits as tuning is just a small bit of what ECUnleashed does. However, you would need to remap your fuel controller after you have your ecu flashed. If you have the Auto Tuner or Zafm this can be done by you, however if you don't you should get a custom dyno tune as you will need a new map to adjust for all the changes that ECUnleashed has made. However, once done you can't get your electronics or tuning any better then ECUnleashed combined with a custom tune.

Why do I need ECUnleashed, or any fuel controller as my bike has sensors in the airbox?
The bikes will compensate for a small percentage of change but they are all based on set internal mapping. They will not self adjust fuel to a significant increase in air flow......... throughout an entire power band. For instance a full exhaust system.This requires the internal fuel maps to be adjusted appropriately. Plus, once we have altered other internal parameters like ignition, dwell time etc.... the fuel maps must be optimized to accommodate for these changes.

Will this help my Herky/Jerky issue? Some bikes are known to be "Herky/Jerky" and ECUnleashed works with the fuel, timing, and all of the variables the manufacturer did to optimize them not only for power, but also to be smooth. Anyone with track experience knows that being smooth is key. ECUnleashed works with Graves and many other race teams to enhance the bike to what a racer would like. One example would be leaving the fuel injectors on while you let off the throttle. This helps with engine braking and greatly helps corner entry at the track. Power is only one aspect that ECUnleashed reach for, smoothness and driveability/rideability are another. Unlike piggy back fuel controllers, working with the internal ECU offers many advantages as you can tune by rpm, gear, throttle position and alter the timing and other aspects as well to achieve the desired result.

Back to Stock? Yes, we can flash your ECU back to stock should you ever want it back to stock for resale or what not. A small fee does apply.

Basic list of changes per bike brand?
Click here to download the list

Is all ECU flashing the same? No, there are some different companies and people that do it. However, ECUnleashed is the only reputable company at this time. ECUnleashed is a leader in ecu flashing. They flash everything from the Nissan GTR, Ferrari's, sportbikes, snowmobiles, etc. Not only have they optimized the flash to change every variable they can to give it the max performance, but you also get access to their database when you go with ECUnleashed. They have maximized the potential to the absolute best that they could. The resources they have is vast and they spend a lot of time building each tune/flash!

Specific Bike Changes? This is a list of changes that ECUnleashed does for a specific brand, model, and year of bike.
09-2011 R1: 9.5rwhp gain. Removes the stock ecu closed loop tuning so you can run the dynojet auto tuner w/o having it fight the ECU. There is no need for the o2 optimizer/controller when you're ecu has been flashed and you should remove it. Enhances the fly by wire so you can reach full throttle. Removes the throttle restriction on US bikes above 12k rpm. Bike will start in A mode after the flash.
09-2011 VMAX: 22rwhp gain. Throttle restriction removed. Increased top speed.
2011 ZX10R: 15rwhp gain. Speed and Rev limit increased. On this model the server check engine light cannot be eliminated due to how Mitsubishi programmed the ECU.
06+ R6: Some of the best deceleration maps out there. Makes a very drastic difference in rideability at the track.
06-07 GSXR 600/750: At this time the check engine lights can not be removed on this ecu.
External Reviews/sources?

http://www.motorcycl...x10r-90631.html
http://ecunleashed.com/
http://m.sportrider....mods/index.html

#13 ·
This is going to be an excellent thread!

#15 ·
Sometime this month.

I was going to get it done once its out, then get a new dynotune done.

#20 ·
i'm looking forward to hearing about it!

i've been working on getting a job for when i graduate next month, and if everything works out i'll be working as a surgical neurophysiologist, which means i'll have the cash to get my ecu flashed as well... assuming you have a good experience with it that is!

#22 ·
Update: w00t!

Hey guys and gals....

So I got the unit today after waiting about a month from shipping it out....and that was long damn month and worse yet a lot of dry good days in between :cursin:

But I digress...Ran home at lunch, hooked up the ECUnleashed, and of course it's winter and my stock 5y/o battery had finally gone to shite, but thanks to the good people at Ballistic racing parts, I had a fresh one on standby... :thumbup:

Fired it up and immediately noticed a much smoother throttle response both at acceleration and deceleration. Very nice indeed...I hope to have some dyno graphs too by about the beginning of April. Unfortunately, living in the Pacific Northwest dry days are gonna be a little hard to come by this time of year, so my first real review of it's performance will be in a month or so.

I should have a video to post later tonight...Let me apologize in advance for making you see my ugly mug. :retard:

#24 ·
Currently I'm running a Jardine RT-1 slip on (single pipe modded an 06 to fit, planning on some Arrow Headers in the future). without a dyno chart to show the hard numbers, I can say from feel and listening there was about a 2 second delay in the wind down as it decelerated as opposed to the quick drop off 1 second. I have 2 ECU's: stock and modified. I'll video both to hopefully show the difference.

That is one of the benefits of ECUnleashed is that it works in conjunction with the servo cel, so there is no need to remove it. In the mapping, they have eliminated the complete shut off of the injectors when you chop the throttle. :thumbup:

#28 ·
It seems smoother all around....how does it feel?

Why don't they make it for the 06 RR??

#30 ·
Not sure why there isn't a mod for the 05-06's but I know that year of Honda seems to have better luck with the Power Commanders. Now I can't attest to that because I've never owned that model year...

Like I've said previously, the weather here hasn't been conducive to riding so I can get a real street performance evaluation, I might be able to get a track day in before June, but I just got saddled with $250 award from a city court :spank:, soooo...uhhh yaaaa. :banghead:

If it had been for speeding I'd have been proud, but running a yellow light is a good way for the city to generate revenue. :fyou: <--- what he said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.