Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Starlane Engear

5K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  rinonz 
#1 ·
See less See more
#4 ·
i have the starlane and no, it's not plug n play. Not too hard to wire up. Instructions are clear. I had a hard time initially programming it after wiring it up, but it was my fault. one of the wires was not fully plugged in which wouldnt allow the gear indicator to read the rpms.

other than that, i have had it for almost 7 months and have had no issues. I love it, especially the blue light shift indicator.

#5 ·
i have the starlane and no, it's not plug n play. Not too hard to wire up. Instructions are clear. I had a hard time initially programming it after wiring it up, but it was my fault. one of the wires was not fully plugged in which wouldnt allow the gear indicator to read the rpms.

other than that, i have had it for almost 7 months and have had no issues. I love it, especially the blue light shift indicator.
Glad to know, thanks for the feedback. I will keep it in mind.:shakehand

#6 ·
Since you're not getting it, it probably doesn't matter, but I would stay away from this POS. It was installed on my bike when I got it so maybe somebody else has had a better experience. When shifting gears, it's often wrong. The worst is when coming to a stop, it shows the wrong gear quite frequently - anything from 2nd to 5th at times and it rarely shows neutral/1st switches correctly, although you could argue there's the light on the gauges (but this thing's brighter and easier to see). The worst thing is that there's a delay when it's switching. Sometimes I look down to check the thing is right and I realize that I already know what gear I'm in and most of the time I look at the thing I just want to see if it's actually working right, which it is in general, but it's wrong often enough that I don't trust it.

I guess my real problem with it is that I find a gear indicator is totally useless. I know what gear I'm in from my speed, the sound of the bike, RPM indicator if I look at it. I don't ride track so maybe it's useful there, but it's a waste of money on the street for me. Not saying don't get it, do what you like with your bike, but having had this with my bike, I would never get another one. I'll probably have this removed when I get any major service done.

Note that the design hasn't changed since it was made. This one's at least 2 years old now, probably quite a bit more. If you do get one, I suggest 3M Dual Lock velcro to attach it. The regular velcro came loose and glue wasn't effective either after a while.

#7 ·
Since you're not getting it, it probably doesn't matter, but I would stay away from this POS. It was installed on my bike when I got it so maybe somebody else has had a better experience. When shifting gears, it's often wrong. The worst is when coming to a stop, it shows the wrong gear quite frequently - anything from 2nd to 5th at times and it rarely shows neutral/1st switches correctly, although you could argue there's the light on the gauges (but this thing's brighter and easier to see). The worst thing is that there's a delay when it's switching. Sometimes I look down to check the thing is right and I realize that I already know what gear I'm in and most of the time I look at the thing I just want to see if it's actually working right, which it is in general, but it's wrong often enough that I don't trust it.

I guess my real problem with it is that I find a gear indicator is totally useless. I know what gear I'm in from my speed, the sound of the bike, RPM indicator if I look at it. I don't ride track so maybe it's useful there, but it's a waste of money on the street for me. Not saying don't get it, do what you like with your bike, but having had this with my bike, I would never get another one. I'll probably have this removed when I get any major service done.

Note that the design hasn't changed since it was made. This one's at least 2 years old now, probably quite a bit more. If you do get one, I suggest 3M Dual Lock velcro to attach it. The regular velcro came loose and glue wasn't effective either after a while.

Wow, if I was still adamant on buying it, I certainly wouldn't be after your feedback. Thanks anyways, certainly opened my eyes more, and I won't be installing a gear indictaor unless I know it is a quick and error free one. So more research and more waiting for now. :shakehand

#14 ·
Gear Indicator

I'm the exact opposite. I find a gear indicator on the track particularly useful especially when its a new circuit I have not ridden before or one I've not been too for a long time. Whether you need one on track is subjective as some prefer to use one and others do not.

#17 ·
#18 ·
I have a 2007 gsxr 600 which comes with the gear indicator stock and i agree that it is a nice feature but i would rather have the gas gauge any day of the week and i know that having built bikes for a long time that you can always just watch the odometer but its deff a luxury i am still loving every time i ride the CBR

#19 ·
Agree it's a waste on the street.
It's not like you're headed into a turn at 100mph and forget if you are in 2nd or 3rd before you downshift....or maybe you do. :toothy:

I could use on on the track, because I do occasionally end up in Neutral or first accidentally because I have confused 2nd and 3rd.

#26 · (Edited)
If yours is plug and play, then there shouldn't be any splicing at all. The ECU port is next to the battery, it is usually covered in black electric tape, when you remove the tape you will see the port which will have a cap on it. You will have to remove this cap and plug the GI into it. I'll see if I can dig up any pics I have of it to help you out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.