Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Front wheel calipers rubbing too much

5K views 81 replies 16 participants last post by  IowaRR 
#1 ·
Got a problem with my bike. Just installed 2013 wheels and while everyone and their mother said it was a direct swap, I now have too much rubbing from my calipers causing my wheel to not be able to spin freely. I tried to spin it and once I take my hand off it it stops. Also, the axle bolt isn't flush with the forks anymore. I believe that these wheels are a direct bolt on, the question I have is what the hell did I do wrong? Lol if anyone can give me some insight or something to try please help.

Bike is an 08 600rr with 7900 miles.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#4 ·
Photo? Possible wheel isn't aligned or spacers are incorrect.
I don't know if they are a direct fit but, if you give us a photo maybe we can figure it out together :D

#5 ·
I feel like OEM rotors are omnidirectional (not L/R specific like some aftermarket rotors.) But I guess it couldn't hurt...

Did you torque everything in the right order? (Check Scotty's excellent front wheel replacement guide in the DIY section)

edit: spacers are not L/R specific, thank goodness. (unless something has changed with '13 wheels)

#6 ·
He said axle bolt isn't sitting flush with the forks, at first i thought it was the rotors as well.
I still think alignment, its possible the wheel is sitting offset to one side.
Take a photo and some measurements of left side and right side, you'll figure it out

#9 ·
I stand corrected, the fiche has two separate part numbers. I don't think the offsets and dimensions are different between them... and I think I put them on either way a couple times. Still, doesn't hurt to put them on in the correct orientation. It could be that, the rotor faces have a dimensional build up of pad material, if you flipped them this buildup would then be backwards (and from the wrong set of pads), and that could be creating the extra drag.

#16 ·
The rotors only go on one side they should have arrows on them.

#72 · (Edited)
View attachment 163145

Got the rotors switched and it feels like the wheels spins better now. However, I still couldn't get the axle flush.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

I swapped my 08 1000rr rear wheel to sp2 wheel and had this same problem which the more I thighten the axle nut the more rear wheel locked up. As it turned out it I had used the wrong spacer. I noticed one of'em is shorter, and when I used the shorter spacer, the rear axle came out more from the side just like the pic above. You might wanna checked on your spacers. Mind taking a shot of the spacers you have?

My rear wheel locked up when I had the (wrong) narrower/shorter spacer on (left side)

Ps: dont let the dealership change anything on your front wheel.

#22 ·
To me, leaving the one side's pinch bolts undone and pushing the front could 'unload' a stuck/bound axle for a better, more true seating - but this is extremely rare and would probably only happen if you installed the axle harshly or with the front end under pre-tension. So it's more of a 'just to be sure' kind of thing, that doesn't actually need to be done because the case in which it would be beneficial is so very rare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.