Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Custom fork legs to accommodate 100mm calipers

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  PdubRR 
#1 ·
Hi all, this is my first Japanese bike which I use regularly as my track bike and am looking to replace to fork legs to accommodate a 100mm brembo caliper rather than buying another set of caliper when it costs the same as buying a set of forks (with 100mm fork legs) and a new triple clamps just to use the 100mm caliper.

Does anyone know if we can replace the fork leg with custom fork leg which will accommodate a 100mm caliper?

I am currently running a stock fork with 25mm ohlins internals and have a set of hp endurance calipers and don't want them to go to waste.

Regards.

#2 ·
Get the proper calipers. If I'm reading this correctly you want to change the lower end of the forks to accommodate the calipers. It's something you'd more then likely have to R&D yourself, you might get lucky and things can be very similar but it could also be something along the lines of needing different triples along with the lower axle bracket. It'd simply be easier getting something already meant to fit, and there'd be less trouble trying to make sure your alignment is good.

#3 ·
Tough choice there between some choice components. I don't know of any 100mm fork lowers you can Frankenstein right into the existing OEM 600RR tubes. You could probably take the bottoms off and get all the measurements then have someone CAD them up & CNC you some custom bottoms. Sounds like a pretty expensive time consuming solution. I think you may have to give up the calipers or those Ohlins kitted forks to get what you want. Easiest thing would be to sell those HP calipers & put the money towards some equally nice 108mm calipers. If you really want to hold onto the calipers then you could always do a front end swap with a euro bike. Maybe Triumph D675 or the front end from a Ducati 848? Dunno. Lots to sort out there with head bearing races, triples, axles, wheel bearings, etc. Totally doable depending on the donor fork set. Wibbly here on the forum grafted a KTM RC8 front end on his bike because he had it. I've friends that have done all sorts of that type of thing. MV Agusta Brutale onto Honda 919, Ducati 749 onto Honda RC31, etc. It's possible but is it worth it to you?

#4 · (Edited)
Yeah, I looked into this briefly, but it doesn't look like you can just screw on a different fork boot - the positioning of the adjuster is unique per fork, and then spacing of the axle/wheel/spacers/bearings may not be the same. :hang: I, too, once had dreams of subbing in cheap Brembo calipers that were OEM on other bikes.

#5 ·
Thanks guys, shattered dreams. It is.

That means I have to graft a set of forks from my euro bikes. I have a set of fg511 from my 1098r but that means I would need a set of ima triples.

Wished I had considered my options before settling on the cbr600rr as a track bike. But, that said, the bike has really tremendous amounts of feedback and it's so easy to ride on the limit. Unlike the R6.

I was just thinking, technically, it wouldn't be too much of an expensive endeavour if one were to have a set of forks lying around. It's just the triples which are the problem.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
pwtil

I did a custom front end, its really not that difficult.

the main issue is that the 600rr has narrower fork spacing and smaller fork legs than most others. you won't be able to use much of the 600rr equipment at all.

you'll need to use 1000rr triples if you can find 54/50mm forks, if you can't find those you'll have to go custom.

you'll also have to respace your wheel. change clip ons, fender, etc.

if you have access to a machinist its not so bad. if you don't then I wouldn't suggest it. it's not exactly a bolt on

just sell your HP's and get 108mm spaced ones. it's not like those calipers are hugely expensive anyway

#7 ·
Sell the brakes and put the money into something else (wheels maybe)?

Not sure what level you're racing at, but the stock brakes are more than capable of regional championship level performance (a mate won Western Australia state championship with them, and our local circuit has the hardest braking zone in Australia).

#11 ·
Thank you everyone for the input. I'm still on the '13 monoblocs for my' 09 but I'm very used to the consistent feel I get pairing th HP with my billet master. I've used the same set up on all my bikes and I love the feel of them very much. Hence I'd like to do the same on my cbr

Unfortunately just not in 108mm. It's tragic but sounds like I'll have to get a set of 108mm HP.

It's nothing to do with whether I am able to extract the (maximum) performance out of them but more if having a consistent feel I'm used to for the other bikes replicated on this bike.

Thought that said, the braking market is moved significantly later on a 600 machine.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.