Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Vinyl + Subframe ?

3K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  Soponcio Virtual 
#1 ·
Hi everyone... I'm almost done with the bike, I still have one more thing I was planning on doing but I wanted to check it "doability".

I want to go black on the visible part of the subframe (where the rear pegs are fixed), I know most of the people will go with powder coating, but I like something more removable...

Anybody knows if vinyl will stick to this part???

#7 ·
Just make sure you clean the surfaces well and I'm sure it'll work. Maybe use some alcohol to wipe it down and a heat gun or blow dryer to make sure the adhesive sticks.
Are you going to disassemble it or try to do it on the bike?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#13 ·
Just make sure you clean the surfaces well and I'm sure it'll work. Maybe use some alcohol to wipe it down and a heat gun or blow dryer to make sure the adhesive sticks.
Are you going to disassemble it or try to do it on the bike?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
On the bike!... I just want to black the visible part, I don't care about the rest..!

Thanks guys, gonna try and post some results soon!!

(good results, hopefully)

#12 ·
bondo the passenger peg holes sand it smooth. vinyl it black have one badass sub frame.

yea vinyl will stick

Reactions: Cory Gillmore
#17 ·
hi, i do this kinda thing for a living. Work at a vehicle wrap place. My advice is if youre looking to do something solid color, DIP IT. vinyl CAN work, but youre looking at a lot more complication with install than just getting a few rattle cans of plastidip.

its also cheaper. Cast vinyl, especially vehicle grade can get costly (3m ij1080)

#19 ·
It can be done. I used carbon fiber patterned vinyl to wrap my sub-frame. It was actually pretty easy because the sub-frame is mostly shrouded by the tail fairing so you don't have to be very precise about your edges. The only tricky part is the little protrusion with the threaded hole where the passenger pegs screw into. Some heat and patience should do the trick. Good luck

#21 ·
why would you go through the trouble of filling in the holes etc only to cover it with a sticker.

pull your subframe (it's not hard), and get the holes filled and then painted. it's worth the extra effort

if you're going to go through the trouble of doing something permanent (ie body filler) why on earth would you cover it with something temporary (ie vinyl)

it seems that everyone is caught up in reversible but lower quality options. like plastidipping wheels instead of paint/powdercoat. and wrapping everything in vinyl instead of having it properly finished.

just do it the right way once.

#24 ·
My god that looks awesome. I've just always been under the impression that pulling the SF was some legendary pain in the ass.

If you like to change it up often then there's no such thing as doing it the right way once. You either go with a removable product or pay for a proper paint job each time. There's also the consideration of preserving the OEM condition for resale purposes.

I agree though that there's no point in doing something permanent if you plan to wrap it with vinyl.
Yeah true. I mean I'll never have a passenger on this bike again but not being able to certainly wouldn't be a selling point when I do eventually try to sell for a newer bike.

Honestly I just think it would look awesome wrapped/covered in carbon fiber. I wish there was a damn cover made just for the subframe the same way they're made for the swingarm and frame etc.

you think that having a black subframe will reduce resale?

if you are going to fill the holes, then paint it.

if you aren't going to fill the holes, then paint it.

nobody is going to insist on a silver subframe and argue down a price based on something looking better.
I think he's referring to the filling in the passenger peg holes more so than the painting.

I don't think there's a person on earth who prefers the silver subframe on the blk/red 07/08 models lol.

#22 ·
If you like to change it up often then there's no such thing as doing it the right way once. You either go with a removable product or pay for a proper paint job each time. There's also the consideration of preserving the OEM condition for resale purposes.

I agree though that there's no point in doing something permanent if you plan to wrap it with vinyl.

#29 ·
I was talking about wrapping in general. I agree most buyers are not going to nit pick over subframe colour.

The reason I wouldn't bother painting the subframe is because the visible area is so small that it can easily be wrapped and look great to boot. Mine's been on for 3 years and it cost maybe $10 to do. So even if I have to redo it in the future 10 times it will still be way cheaper than a professional paint job. I'm also thinking of making it blue instead which will cost me maybe another $10 bill.

#26 ·
Damn that actually looks really good too. I just wonder how it'll hold up. I saw a motoblogger plastidip his damn levers and I was like what a dumbass lol. Of course it rubbed right off within a day. The subframe doesn't see a whole lot of contact so I don't think it'd be an issue. It's just I haven't half assed anything on my bike yet so I don't wanna start. I'll most likely have it sent off to Tripage but dammit I still want someone to make a carbon fiber subframe cover! Dammit someone make it happen!

#28 ·
Wooow... this post is still alive?

I haven't done my bike yet... Still have the vinyls ready for when I have time.

I'll install them when I get the bike on street mode again.

I don't wanna paint it coz here in Spain, it does reduce the value coz it makes it evident that you've been mangling the bike (believe me, most amateur "mechanics" would do a very nasty job to remove and reinstall the whole subframe, I've seen huge disasters, belive me).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.