Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Really needsome help with speedometer

4K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  RCKSTRR 
#1 · (Edited)
So a while bike a laid my 08 down. Not bad just scuffed the plastic on the right side. After I made the repairs I noticed the speedometer and odometer didn't work. Last week I replaced the speed sensor and nothing. I checked the voltage of the three wires on the sensor and I have ground 12v and 5v. I also checked the wire coming in to the main harnesses and I have a signal to the speed sensor side of the harness. So I just got a new cluster (new to me from ebay) plugged it up and still speedometer sits on zero. I'm at a loss. Any ideas and help is much appreciated.

#4 ·
I did. I was wondering if there is something under the tank that could be causing my issues. I think that is the only thing I have yet to take apart. :ponder:

#6 ·
I have read that one. It ends with the bike being stolen before they find out the issue. But thanks anyways. I really don't want to take this thing to the shop. But it's looking that way.

#7 ·
Does your speedo sweep when turned on or sit at 0 all the time? Is your ODometer displayed or blank?

#8 ·
It sweeps. Everything appears as it is going to work until you twist the throttle and the MPH reads zero. Odometer doesn't work as well. I installed a new VSS. I tested the three wires and they all seem to be doing what they should. If I remember correctly I hocked the signal wire and spun the tire and it sent a pulse up to the harness.

#9 ·
If the speedo does what it should when turning on but doesn't read I would look at your wiring. Your OEM plug has all the wires in it? None have been pulled out?

#10 ·
Everything looks as it does when it left from Honda. The only idea I have left is I did something when I changed the filter out. I have tested all the wires and fuses. The only LED lights I have are my peg lights from you and the tail light from you. So I ruled out a charging issue. Plus it pulls 14+ volts at 15k rpm. So the charging system seems to be fine from what i have read.

#11 ·
Had speedo/odometer go out on customers bike. Same thing but I replaced the sensor and it worked fine after that. Sensor was new? That is the only thing that could be the problem unless the ecm is having a problem with the signal. Very strange.

#12 ·
Yup. Brand new out the plastic. When I get home I'm going to check the as much as the harness as I can. Maybe there is a pinched wire somewhere I have over looked.

Reactions: tripage
#13 ·
So I went back over everything again last night and found nothing. Tonight I am going to pull the tank and make sure there is nothing going under there. If that doesn't yield any results I guess it's to the local speed shop. I guess there will be no need to put the plastics back on. Depressing is what this is.

#14 ·
You said the Speedometer is new to you? As in it is used? Could be you have gotten another bad speedo. Had that happen to a buddy of mine. I had this problem (speed not registering) on my Gsxr last year but new speedo sensor did the trick. Sometimes the rotor that sends the signal to the sensor inside the front sprocket cover goes bad or gets dirty as well. Good luck!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#16 ·
You said the Speedometer is new to you? As in it is used? Could be you have gotten another bad speedo. Had that happen to a buddy of mine. I had this problem (speed not registering) on my Gsxr last year but new speedo sensor did the trick. Sometimes the rotor that sends the signal to the sensor inside the front sprocket cover goes bad or gets dirty as well. Good luck!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Correct. I asked the seller if it came off a wrecked bike and he said no. So I figured it had to be good.

#19 ·
So I noticed something today while slamming my head against the wall trying to figure this out. On the back of the new cluster (from ebay not new from dealer) the sticker stated "HP0814-013" where my 08 says "HP070-003." What's the difference? I sent the ebay one back and on the hunt for a new one.

#20 ·
So for any one that is interested in this thread, the bike is fixed. It was the dumbest thing EVER! After using a multimeter and tracing the signal wire from the speed sensor the problem was the pins in the connector above the main harness. Not sure how this happen but it's a two pin connector and somehow one of the wires was removed and placed back in the connector on the opposite side. So the pins where never touching. I looked at the connection probably five times. But she works now and I finally wrapped my side fairings using 3M CF vinyl. I recommend that to anyone that wants the look but can't find vendor who can make it fit. Thanks to everyone that offered up advice.

Here is a little idea of what it looks like for those who have not seen the 3M vinyl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.