Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Underfilled oil?

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Flurp Sensei 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,

Hope everyone is doing great. I finally got around to performing my first ever oil change, and I feel accomplished as all hell (come at my noobiness!). I went by the book: drained old oil properly and for 6 or minutes, installed new aluminum crush washer, K&N filter and added ~3 QTS of Shell Rotella T6 (everything torqued to correct specs). Now, I put the bike on a rear stand, started it up and let it idle for ~4 mins, and then shut it off. After 3 mins, checked the oil level through the sight glass and what I saw is attached below.

I know new oil generally tends to be transparent-ish (factoring in light gold hue), but this here looks severely underfilled to me. I let the bike sit for about 10 more minutes, and repeated the start engine and check after few minutes procedure... Still same results.

Is this oil super new to the point where it's completely transparent and I may have overfilled? Or, is it legit underfilled? I addee about a cup more of oil and repeated. But no dice again. There are no oil leaks present after observing for quite the while as well. Now, I must resort to seeking the masters' guidance.

Kudos in advance.

EDIT: Attachment system acting up. One sec... *facepalm*
EDIT 2: IMGUR TO THE RESCUE!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The bike has to be level. Front to back and side to side. Take it off the rear stand. Place something underneath the kickstand and gently straight it up. Or if you have a mirror, sit on the bike, straighten it up, and use the mirror to check the oil level. It should be at the top mark.

Also remove the oil fill plug so the oil drains faster after you turn off the bike. Wait 2-3minutes so all the oil settles.

See you on the road homie :retard:

#3 ·
Don't know about later model year bikes, but my '05 takes about 3.7 qts after an oil change with the filter.

If you change the oil without replacing the filter, 3qts is probably about right. Since you changed the filter as well, you'll need some more to fill that too. Keep in mind that the filter retains some oil that doesn't get drained. You should have noticed some oil coming out of the filter when you took it off.

Top up and you'll be golden.

#4 ·
Lol this is funny

Yea u got the bike on the kick stand. I lay on the ground or kneel. Pull the bike towards you so that its standing straigt up and down you will see your oil. When done slowly drop the bike on to its kick stand.

Dont tip the bike to much or it will fall on you haha

2.9 qts for the 2007

Its supposed to be between both lines.

#5 ·
Lol this is funny
Mandatory elitism: Check.

Yea u got the bike on the kick stand.
Lol this is funny (sorry, couldn't help myself). Either you meant to say that I GET the bike on the kickstand, or you didn't read my post with average carefulness
The rest of your advice is solid... Especially the part where pulling the bike too much will make it drop on me. Dear God, how could I have been oblivious to such simple rules of physics this whole time!? NOOOOOO!!!

Anyways, adding on the front stands as well and filling up a bit more oil did the trick. As Lyoha said, the bike needed nearly a quart more than just 3 quarts to get rolling. Tested oil levels 2 times with a 3 hour break in between both times later on during the day and levels were slightly above the middle of both lines.

Thanks everyone for the help as always!

#11 ·
Yes, but not by a lot. Check it correct, see where it is, then put the bike on a stand and see where it is so you know.

Op, what year is your bike? Adding a quart of extra oil is fine if your bike needs it: 03-06 need 3.7 quarts, 07+ are almost 3 exactly. If you have 4 quarts in an 07+ you are going something wrong.

#13 ·
I did mine recently was 2.7-2.8L with oil filter replacement or 2.5L without oil filter replacement.
I always do mine with a rear stand, i have tested with a front stand to see if there was a difference.

As I was taught, warm the bike up then allow to sit about 3-5mins and recheck level.

#14 · (Edited)
#19 ·
Its not all about you lol.

narcissist

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.