Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Chinese Fairings

14K views 36 replies 11 participants last post by  elpeligroso 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2008 CBR 600 RR that had been in a crash. The seller was able to provide me all the broken faring pieces which I was generally able to plastic weld with a soldering iron except the rear cowl and some of the pieces around the headlights. I was about ready to purchase an entire fairing kit from China. I did a bunch of research last night and came up with the conclusion that the paint on them is generally bad, they are thin ABS, brittle ABS and, the edges are poorly cut and they melt from exhaust heat. I found one guy on this board that had purchased a set, but crashed his bike on the track the next day, so not much of a review. Anyone else I read about, basically said to save the 400 bucks and buy an OEM set from Honda for 2,000 bucks. All the ebay fairings look like they all come from the same mold and are painted individually by the sellers. Are these really this bad? If anyone has had or knows of any good ones, what seller was it? Thanks!

#3 ·
I've had two sets of Auctmarts fairings on my bike, the first from the old molds and the second from the new molds. Both were excellent but the new molds are a lot better. They are very close to OE quality although they still have issues with where the two lower cowls meet together in the front behind the front wheel. Not a big deal though. You get a LOT for your money.

I'm very pleased with my latest set that I got a few weeks ago. I've hauled them over the grill on this site for those specific fairings many times. Why am I so hard on them? They screwed up on all the easiest parts. And I like them. So I want them to learn and do better and there's no better way to motivate such money-oriented people then to force them to address their issues on a public forum.

I love seeing them apologize publicly with the hope that one day they will change their ways because that's the better way to avoid public humiliation :wink2:

Bear in mind, Auctmart doesn't make the fairings. They come from a different company. So Auctmart is like a third party in the conversation. An interface between you and them. This leads to communication issues. Auctmart is famous for not replying in a timely manner to email and then blaming it on time zone differences. It seems that the time zone over there can be out by as much as 4 days (!!!). (The more we post that publicly, the more they will have to stop using it as an excuse and hopefully address the real problem).

I got custom ones done. They are very, very good. They just screwed up in the easy places. They did not have the correct fender for my bike (2006) even though the old molds were correct. They didn't know this so it had to be explained to them. They put the wong (spelling!) sticker on the fairings. I asked for RC211V stickers and they put on RC212V stickers. Two other stickers were not asked for and one was a little crooked. Not the end of the world.

But the paint quality on mine is unreal. So is the clear coat and the stickers. Not an issue anywhere on the paint. I frequently go into a store and find people taking pictures of my bike.

I like to rake them over the coals (Auctmart) for screwing up two stickers and one fender. Of the three, the only one they will acknowledge is the fender. This is because if they acknowledge the other issues they would have to send a new front cowl! It's a large part and costs more to ship so they won't acknowledge it at all, which I find humorous.

I get a real kick out of watching them squirm rather then change their ways. So close to perfect in this case, but I don't think they understand the basic concept behind nailing everything down 100%. Probably they can't since they don't make the fairings themselves and I'm quite certain they don't paint them either.

Nevertheless, I'd still give them my strongest recommendation despite the fact they just won't 'fess up to anything other then the fender which is a cheap and easy ship :grin2:

If you do go custom, make sure you get pictures before approving the fairings. In my case, I could not see the RC212V sticker close enough. I should have asked for close-ups and I could have caught it before they clear coated them. Same thing with the other stickers. Had I forced them to do that (and you do have to FORCE them) then all would be well.

They are sincere, they did send them next-day air. When you see the size of the box you will be amazed. And it literally went from China to an Island on the far left hand side of Canada - in ONE day. It took longer for the local delivery then for the trip from China.

Be patient, nail down the pictures no matter how long it takes. Also, they will demand money instantly and every time you talk to them. Send them an email asking how the weather is over there and you'll get a PayPal invoice for a reply. Meanwhile, send them a question after you've paid and you might find yourself in that 4-day time zone difference.

They use different people for email and you will get some real pin-heads that have no idea what has been previously discussed. There's only one guy there that knows what he's doing and you get to talk to him when you threaten a PayPal claim or a good public thrashing :laugh:

It's not that they can't be better, they just don't understand that their email-based customer service is broken, or, more likely, they don't know how to fix it.

But in the end I had a great experience, I really do like them a lot, they are sincere, once you talk to the only guy there that knows what he's doing it's great and I think they have heart too. I will certainly buy a third set from them and probably more. Next time around I will pre-arrange the entire thing with the guy that knows what he's doing and I'll use very simple English. I'm looking forward to the time when they nail it 100% because they are very close. And let's face it, the price is excellent. Very close to OE quality.

#7 ·
I just purchased a set of fairings from Auctmarts today. I think they were $375 for the entire set. I needed too many pieces to purchase OEM. I will try to remember to keep you guys updated, maybe pics of the install too.

#11 ·
Exactly - you can expect to do a small amount of dremel work on the fairings if you want a truly perfect fit. Just remember, measure three times and debur/shape once :smile2:

Mine are excellent in that respect as were the previous set from the old molds. For tightness and fit I can't complain in the least.

#15 ·
Lots of them needed cleaning up. I also had to run a tap down some of the brass inserts due to overspray. The fuel tank cover, in my case, is best attached without the two side bolts as this causes alignment issues further down the line when the side covers are on. A bit of work was done to the spot where the two lower cowls join right behind the front wheel. I expected all of that and the paint quality was so high that I was happy to do it.

Thing is, I usually do things like that in two stages. I hit all the rough spots, get it all together, and then ride a bit and take a closer look. At that point I usually go back in and address the minor details. They are awesome fairings, I get nothing but compliments, I've seen other bikes going in the opposite direction rubber-neck to the point where I'm a bit concerned they're not looking where they are going. It's almost a bit disconcerting because people really stare. I've had to get used to that. I knew it would look good but....

All in all, they are excellent. I just finished washing the bike and noticed a bunch of stains in areas. I thought the clear coat was possibly buggered but I hit it with some Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover and it made everything like new again. I'm very impressed with them, they were a smart choice. If only the company would recognise that their communication stinks, and take steps to address that, all would be well.

#16 ·
That's what I figured. I remember reading about the original molds that were used on aftermarket fairings and how the holes did not like up at all. Most of the time you were having to drill new ones to get the pieces to slide together. The tabs are my only concern with aftermarkets. It's hard enough getting oem's to fit together without breaking anything, let alone taking them apart.

#17 ·
I have the old mold fairings and the new mold fairings. As I recall, the old mold fairings didn't need much if any work. The new ones were custom painted though so they had extra paint in the holes :)

I find that they take a bit of a 'set' once they are all installed. This is why I don't do any finishing work until they are on the bike and I can see more clearly what's what. The second mold (newest) set I have are much thicker, very close to OEM. They don't fit perfect with respect to the holes but you also pick up on the proper way to assemble them so that they do line up perfectly. In my case, the right side cover needs to be loose when I do up the bolt that goes through the lower cowl. If I tighten that side that way there is no issue. Same thing with the front cowl, it's very tight on the mirror mounts and always requires a bit of effort to force it into place. On the other hand, they are nice and tight - period. Very pleased with them when I take a balanced look at it.

#19 ·
Sort of. They are as flexible as they need to be but no more :) The rear cowl is the one that everyone has issues with. You just start by folding in the right side and then gently stretching the left side over. Once you've done it a couple of times you'll be a pro. On mine, with respect to the front cowl, you just have to force it into position. It's no big deal and you remember it whenever you take either cowl off in the future.

#22 ·
Just got the fairings in today. I had to order a bunch of extra stuff as the headlight cowl, headlights and frame sliders had all been damaged in a crash by the previous owner. I ordered a paint set right off Auctmarts website, nothing custom, but I think they still had to put them into production, meaning they didn't just pull them off the shelf. I will say I am very impressed with their shipping (packaging), paint work, and fitment. The website indicates they ship in 3 days, but they just got in today, so I figure they had to go to the paint shop. I read lots of reviews about the upper cowls on ebay about other companies and almost every one had a tab broken off when it arrived, but Auctmarts came in perfect. Also, the headlights look as good as OEM. I only fit about half the fairings so far, but took pictures for you guys along the way. I hope to upload tomorrow. I will say that I ordered screw sets from two different companies and they have a different way of doing the bolts different from OEM, so I am using my OEM bolts as much as I can, because honestly, I am not sure how these aftermarket bolt sets are supposed to work. I am really happy with Auctmarts and have had to do a bunch of flexing on the rear cowl and surprisingly it took the abuse with no problem.

#24 ·
There was a tank pad, a big piece of heat shield, windscreen, and a bolt set with phillips style heads. Not sure what the bolts are for and I like the hex head OEM bolts so I am going to try and use those. I just purchased a Zero Gravity windscreen and wanted to use it, but the front fairing is not clearing the brake reservoir, so I might see if the new one fits better.

#25 ·
It is a very tight, close fit up there between the screen and the reservoir but if it's not fitting and the bike has been in a crash you probably have bent fairing brackets and fairing stays.

Don't force anything, see where things should line up and see if you can't slightly bend things back straight before bolting things together. The front faring stay is your main point everything lines up to so I highly suggest replacing it with new or being sure it's straight before going too far.

Done this several times and taking your time lining things up under the fairings makes everything so much better in the end.

Reactions: dixon cider
#26 ·
Overall it went pretty well. Parts that fit improperly due to the crash still fit poorly even with the headlight upper which I thought would solve the issue. Generally I think the Auctmarts fairings fit almost as well as the OEM and have a similar feel to them regarding flexibility and fitment. The problem really arose from the two aftermarket screw sets I purchased from different companies. The screw sets are basically worthless and in no way resemble what came OEM, the heads are too small and generally incorrect sizes. The "quick nuts" are not worth using so you have to use your OEM quick nuts or use the "jimmy hats" they fill the aftermarket kits with. All the holes on the aftermarket fairings went well, even with the poorly designed sandwiching of fairings in the front near the headlights The heatshield went surprisingly well, with more than enough to cover what you think needs it, cuts easily and has great adhesion. The aftermarket headlights from Auctmarts seem as good as OEM so far. I did purchase a set of frame sliders since I was on their site and have encountered that almost no usable parts are in the kit at the bases are aluminum and cant any type of torque on the fastener as the bases are aluminum. If you do use their kit the fasteners are too long and will interfere with your engine case and no washers are included to back it off. Lets see if I can get some photos uploaded. Very nice packaging, maybe two scratches at the most.

Attachments

#28 ·
Glad it worked out well for you (from the sounds of it). I also replaced the OE headlight assembly from the same company that auctmarts gets them from (ZXMT.com). I found the case design to be excellent but the real technology is in the reflector design inside the housing.

I found there was light leakage and that night-time visibility was not as good as OE. This didn't really surprise me, it's one thing to copy the housing and it's another to understand the technology in the reflector itself. Even so, I'm pretty happy with my ZXMT housing. I think it only cost me something like $60 and what I was hoping to do was swap the OE reflector assembly into the new housing. That would be ideal.

#34 ·
do they charge you extra if you ask for extra clear coat? or would it be better to just have a place put more clear coat on the fairings after you receive them? i was thinking of getting a set from auctmarts this summer once i get a summer job between semesters.

#35 ·
This is the website my local dealer gets off, she wasn't suppose to tell me this but it kind of slipped out
They have a major variety of fairings and not for a bad price compared to others but for me shipping hurts a little with $116

Check it out though, wont be disappointed

Fairing Solutions Affordable Motorcycle Fairing Kits

They also get off this website but havnt looked to far into it

https://www.monsterfairings.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.