Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Air Filter Flow rates

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Nuithari 
#1 ·
As I'm preparing for a maintenance job on my bike, I did a little nosing around about airfilters, and I found a study by the University of Wales.
Very interesting read! So i wanted to share since there are so many Air filter threads on here going from, go stock - aftermarket sucks, to go get BMC, and everything in between.

https://issuu.com/sprintfilter/docs/air-filter-element-flow-analysis_wa_b9b4f7976f1b38

to give an idea:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
This is actually a very well conducted test. Would have loved to see a comparison to at least some form of OE filter media though. Thanks for the info.

Anyone else notice that, in this test at least, the K&N race filter outflows the BMC race filter by roughly the same difference the BMC race outflows the K&N road filter?

Reactions: dixon cider
#8 ·
There is no real world difference in new, clean filters. They all flow more air then your engine needs and will not cause an increase in intake vaccum. The differences are when they start to get dirty.

Reactions: dixon cider
#9 ·
Exactly.

Or, put another way, it's amazing how Honda's engineers can design an engine that weighs little, puts out massive power, spins to upwards of 15,000 RPM, and then they cap it all off with an air filter that restricts the engine output because they just didn't know what they were doing :ponder:

I bet Peter Verdone was right, removing the fire screen is probably all that's required.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.