Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Devin's Custom 08' 600rr Build

10K views 70 replies 29 participants last post by  TofuProductions 
#1 ·
Hello,

First off, let me give some background to who I am and my history. Then, this will be my build/story of this 600rr.

My name is Devin, I live in New York. I've been riding motorcycles for quite some time now, and got my license at age 16. My first bike was a 08 Ninja 650, then followed by a plethora of Suzuki's. I bought my first super sport being a 03 GSXR 600. Then, I bought a 04 GSXR 750 and decided seat time was more important than mods. I rode the bike for a bit and learned with some of my local, wiser gsxr owners. I sold that bike and moved to Florida. While in Florida, I found an IMMACULATE 07 GSXR 750. It had 1,600 miles on it. I ended up driving back to NY for it. I put a few thousand miles on that and rode it as much as I could.

Then, I met this girl who rode, she'll be named r6 (she had a r6 when I met her). Come to find out, she had a 600rr that she crashed that needed a ton of work and just left to sit at a friends house. I convinced her to give the bike to me to restore. So, the 600rr was gifted to me with the idea that her and I would build it together. She ended up leaving and I ended up starting a build in hopes the bike would draw her back.

While this was all going on, I traded my 07 750 in at the dealership for a 2016 Commemorative GSXR 1000. This was my first liter bike, and it was amazing. I rode that for a while, and built the 600RR in the background since it wasn't a priority.

During the summer months, which are unbearable, I decided to get rid of the 1000 since the payments were outrageous. I used the money to move back home to New York. After waiting a few months, I moved back here the last week of July.

Current: I was moving a friends bike (cb500?) and decided to stop at a Ducati/Mv Agusta dealership. The salesman asked me if I wanted to demo ride a MV F3 800, which I gladly accepted. Him and I rode for a bit, then he set me loose to check the bike out myself. As I was riding, a full sized van decided to take an exit from the left lane, across the right lane I was in, and didn't see me. This was such a coincidence because it was probably one of the few times I had no gear on minus a helmet.

The accident blessed me with; a broken/dislocated hip, broken rib, grade 4 splenic laceration, grade 1 liver laceration, broken bone in my foot, broken bone in my hand, full thickness burn on my shoulder from the road rash, broken bone in my back, huge laceration on my hand, not including all the other road rash. Long story short, I was flown to a level 1 trauma center and I'm lucky to be alive.

After a few weeks in the ICU, I had a long ways to go with rehab and physical therapy. This is still on going now, so funds are short for the build but I'm doing what I can to make it work.

Now to the pictures:
03 GSXR 600

04 GSXR 750

07 GSXR 750

16 GSXR 1000

The 600rr as BEFORE:

Now I'll catch you up with the next posts.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
THE TEARDOWN

So, my idea was to fully build this 600rr and make it something custom. I had decided to strip it down and have it powder coated. I have never done a build of this nature, but I knew I could figure it out.
I stripped the Frame to bare metal, as well as the subframe and swing arm. Then, I dropped them off at the powder coater.

The color was alright, It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it was too late at this point.

Then, as I continued to work on the bike, parts of the powder started to chip. Long story short, they did a shitty job with prep.

#3 ·
So, I complained and made them re-do it. They let the pieces soak in a chemical bath for like 2 weeks before I was fed up and took my business else where. This was what I was left with. Keep in mind, I had half the bike back together and had to re strip it down.

The second time around, I figured I would find a better shop for what I needed. 201Wrap & Powder Pros in Jacksonville Fl is who is responsible for this next beautiful color. They had me tape anything I wanted covered, (which is fine because I'm super OCD about that.) Rodney showed me their entire shop, including the powder portion. It was a great experience all around.

Pictures don't describe the beauty of this color. It has a flake to it as well so when the sun hits, the color pops and is extra gorgeous.

#5 ·
WARNING: GRAPHIC PICTURES

So, at this point, I ended up selling my Gsxr 1000 and moved back to NY. I packed the 600rr up and made the 1100 mile trip like I've done so many times.
These following pictures are going to be of the MV AGUSTA F3 800 I was test riding, and a few of the injuries I sustained during the accident.

14/15 MV AGUSTA F3 800cc

She's pretty right? First Italian bike I've ever ridden. Definitely different beast from everything else here.

Now to the good stuff:

I will ALWAYS preach about wearing gear. I have pretty decent gear and just didn't wear it that day. Use me as an example. I lucked out for sure. No screws, no pins, and only one serious surgery.
Please ride safely. I wasn't dicking around, wasn't speeding, wasn't doing anything unsafe. I was literally at the wrong place at the wrong time.

#7 · (Edited)
Getting back on a motorcycle has been my biggest priority and helped me get through the long days of laying in bed and being in a wheelchair temporarily.

The bike needed quite a few things which I'll get to now.

NEED LIST:
The forks were replaced, but still need seals since one is leaking.
Front rim has slight wobble.
Brakes needed to be bled.
Pads/Rotors will most likely be replaced. The front wheel is dragging, not sure if its due to rim or maybe a bent rotor.
Both tires will be replaced with Dunlop Q3's or something aggressive.
Fairings were pretty damaged and I want to change the color as well.
Bike is missing Mirrors and misc parts as well
-1/+2 520 Sprocket Conversion

WANT LIST:
Rear sets will be bought
Tail light
Undertail
TST everything lol
Brembo Master
Protection (Swing Arm, Sliders, etc)

#8 · (Edited)
Since I haven't been working I have been trying to find little things to do on the bike for the time being.

A family friend of mine went to visit Ireland to watch racing (similar to the Isle of Man TT)
He mailed this legit Honda Racing shirt to me. Loved it.

The bike had a Two Brothers exhaust, but it needed to be shortened and touched up. :)

I painted the end cap black, fixed the hardware, and then polished the pipe underneath. 800/1000 Grit and metal polish go a long way.

#9 ·
If anyone noticed, the instrument cluster was missing from the first few pictures.
I purchased one second hand from my close friends who actually own a Motorcycle shop in Florida. If you need used parts, they usually have EVERYTHING. PM me as I'm not going to advertise their business on here.

The cluster I bought from them was in great condition, but had 25,000 miles on it. This bike has less than 8,000 on the frame. Last known mileage was some where 76-7800 miles.

I went through BlueGauges.com and had them correct the mileage, and change the colors of the cluster.

This is one of my favorite pieces of the bike.

During this time, I was getting a Check Engine light. I did some diagnostics which turned out being a Knock Sensor and Map Sensor.

Luckily the map sensor was just missing a vacuum hose and the knock sensor wiring was switched with a similar plug. So, both those issues are resolved and the motor is running nice and healthy.

#10 ·
Lastly, I painted the fairings just to get an idea of how the bike would look. This is a rough draft still since the fairings will need to be replaced.
I also ordered a 520 -1/+2 Steel Sprocket and chain since I wanted to do the conversion.

I didn't have a chain since I originally cut it off, but the stock sprockets are still in good condition. The sprocket set will most likely be here tomorrow and I'll get it all installed. (Thanks, MotoMummy!)

This is currently how the bike sits.

#16 ·
UPDATES!

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm pretty well healed I think. No casts, I'm walking, but still doing physical therapy to correct the stiffness in my joints etc.

So, today some parts came in.

I ordered a 520 Conversion, with -1/+2 steel driven sprockets and a ek silver chain. I did this conversion on my 03 600, but had the shop do it. This time, I knew I was totally capable of the task, even though shortening a chain frightens me.

Before Stock 42T Sprocket (which is totally fine)

After Driven 44T Sprocket

Here's just some regular ol pics I snapped while working.

Also, MotoMummy let me pair the SpeedoDRD by 12oclock labs as well. I've used it before, they're pretty nifty and fairly cheap compared to other brands.

The chain will be finished up and riveted tomorrow. I already programmed the SpeedoDRD but will need to eventually check with a GPS just to be safe.

Am I allowed to copy this thread into the RR build section as well?

#18 · (Edited)
Nice build, not usually a fan of painted frames but this looks good.

Not sure if it was meant sarcastically or not but I'd rethink your statement of the original rear sprocket being totally fine. For those unsure how to tell if your sprockets are worn this is a perfect picture group showing it: if you look at the before picture and the new one below it you will clearly see the teeth are starting to "hook" to the left and the valleys are not a nice, uniform U shape like the new one. Not sure how many miles you have on it but they were ready to changed for sure. The top and bottom of the sprockets show it best.

The front isn't as bad but the peaks are definitely worn down as well. If the OP had simply installed a new chain it would have made a bunch of noise and been chewed up in a few thousand miles.

Proper chain maintenance and adjustments is key: I just picked up a 14,000 mile 05 F4i for my dad that has the sprockets looking exactly like the ones above where I've had bikes go 25K on an OEM setup and I simply swapped chains because the sprockets were still good and went another 15k before they wore out. They aren't always worn evenly around the sprocket, sometimes some areas are worse than others.

Look forward to seeing what you end up with.

#19 ·
I think the OE sprocket that was on there was either 8k or 17k for mileage. I don't exactly remember, since there has been a combination of parts for this bike.

I'm thankful you pointed that out, because they look very similar in person. I guess i'll have to further inspect the older sprocket.

More so, I wanted to do the conversion since I feel it livens up the 600cc.

Personally, I'm not a fan of painted frames either, I feel like they're very hard to pull off without looking "gotti" or terrible.

Hopefully when this project is finished I won't fall into that category.

#20 ·
So, I got the chain riveted and all finished up.

I decided to start the bike up and put it in gear. I noticed that my speedometer wasn't registering anything, which was odd since it was on the stand spinning.

Upon further inspection and testing of continuity, that sneaky pink/green wire wasn't fully seated.

If you don't have a manual, definitely print/buy one.

The speedo issue is now resolved.

#23 ·
Hey folks.

Few updates, and some help needed.

I ordered some misc bolts to attach the cluster to the upper stay. That's all squared away.

Now I've been trying to figure this issue out. My front rim will not spin feely. With the bike on the stand, I'll spin the wheel and it will grab on the right (throttle) side.

If I remove the caliper from the throttle side it will spin freely.

Could it be a wobble in the rim? Bent rotor? Not sure where to go with it.

#26 ·
easy, if you've got a dail indicator?

here's a cheap way to do about same thing......;

take a piece of wire , wrap it around fork tube, placing one end of the wire very close to edge of brake rotor.

spin rotor, and see if rotor edge moves back and forth in relation to the tip of the wire......if it does ....rotor needs to be straightened

#27 ·
Sorry for the lack of updates, I started working again and haven't had much time to work on her.

But, with work, comes money.

So, I'll start finishing this build up. Updates to come soon, once I figure out what I want to purchase next.

I'm thinking fairings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.