Which projector headlight kit? - 600RR.net
07-13 RR Modifications Modifications to the '07- to 013 600RR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which projector headlight kit?

Since it seems like BKmoto and KTautoparts have went under (or so it seems). Where can I get a quality kit? xdcycle has a kit but reviews say stuff from that site is not of good quality. Will I have to settle with what's on Ebay?

Are we there yet?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 04:09 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
I retrofit headlights on the side. In order to get the performance your money deserves, go with something quality the first time... Build your own lights :).

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...C51134%2C47308

This is a great kit, will literally screw in to the stock reflector hole.

BK moto and similar companies making those lights used Chinese projectors and ballasts. Can't go wrong with Morimoto.

If you want their better stuff, here is another option.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...e-ii-dual.html

I'm glad to see you are interested in a projector set up and not just drop in LEDs / HIDs. Projectors will always give you more useable light, without blinding other drivers.
The Following User Says Thank You to Urbane For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-01-2017)
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 04:58 PM
Training Wheel Hero

So You don't need the custom steel mounting plate for the first option?You can just mount it in the stock chrome plastic reflector on both sides?

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Garage
Thanks for the insight Urbane. I have been snooping around on that site too but I was not sure what would fit and was looking for a kit like BKmoto because its mostly plug and play without having to modify (dremel) the reflector.

Are we there yet?!
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 01:22 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
When installing projectors inside the housing you will need to remove the OEM reflectors or modify them to allow the projector to fit. It's easier to make/install a backplate projector for it to install to. There are places that sell the projector backplates for the 600rr.

I have seen dual low, dual high beam led headlights on 600rr/1000rr and they do not blind oncoming drivers. Just depends on the type of led's used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3449.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	187249  
The Following User Says Thank You to tripage For This Useful Post:
Urbane (01-05-2017)
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Garage
Thanks T! I see that you have backing on your website. I just want to be sure of sizing and stuff cuz I don't want to spent couple hundred dollars for something that won't work

Are we there yet?!
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 11:26 PM
Moto GP Racer

We have dealt with the cheapest HID's and the most expensive and no matter the brand or price tag you will have problems down the road. If anyone tells you otherwise they are lying. The bulb will fail or the ballast will fail "misfire" at some point. I went from having Hid's on all my vehicles to switching them to all LED's. I will not ever go back to HID's. Tired of misfires. Randomly happen but happen none the less. Led's fire every time I want them to. The look of the projectors is great and they are now making led projectors. If you are set on projectors I would look to led's. If you want an easier option for better lighting than OEM and cleaner install than HID's with factory look Dual Low/High Led headlights are the way to go.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:24 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripage View Post
When installing projectors inside the housing you will need to remove the OEM reflectors or modify them to allow the projector to fit. It's easier to make/install a backplate projector for it to install to. There are places that sell the projector backplates for the 600rr.

I have seen dual low, dual high beam led headlights on 600rr/1000rr and they do not blind oncoming drivers. Just depends on the type of led's used.
Where are the places that sell just the backplates alone?I searched but did not find any.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Garage
These are the plates I am talking about.
Projector Backplates

T, yet again thanks for the insight on the HID's. Your contribution to this forum has been invaluable. Thanks for that! I am not set in stone about the HID retrofit, I just want better lighting than stock. Did a bit of snooping around on your website and was looking at the led lighting and watched the video. I like what I see but it is out of stock? Are you going to be assembling another round of those Dual high/low Led headlight kits anytime soon? If not can you point me in the right direction? I know my way around rewiring and making harness for the install. I just want to know what leds and more info on the dust cap 'breather' sticker that let the heat out as I know heat is the biggest cause of led headlight failures.

Are we there yet?!
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:17 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I did modify my own back plates and also the factory chrome reflectors with two different projectors. The easiest way to do was with the back plate and R1 projectors. As of the material, I went with the home depo's lower door plate (aluminum sheet about 2-3mm which easy to bend to get the best contour of the lens). Best part of the r1 projectors is that you can opt LEDs, hids, or halogens bulb. Or you can also opt in led light bars

Last edited by venomenon83; 01-02-2017 at 11:32 PM.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:54 AM
Knee Dragger

Quote:
We have dealt with the cheapest HID's and the most expensive and no matter the brand or price tag you will have problems down the road. If anyone tells you otherwise they are lying. The bulb will fail or the ballast will fail "misfire" at some point. I went from having Hid's on all my vehicles to switching them to all LED's. I will not ever go back to HID's. Tired of misfires. Randomly happen but happen none the less. Led's fire every time I want them to. The look of the projectors is great and they are now making led projectors. If you are set on projectors I would look to led's. If you want an easier option for better lighting than OEM and cleaner install than HID's with factory look Dual Low/High Led headlights are the way to go.
Got a link to the LED setup you like most?
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:42 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I had HIDs in my old zx636. Always had a problem with them. They were so painful that i didnt even bother looking into them with the CBR.

But after reading through this post im very keen to do the LED conversion if its more reliable.

Any chance you could provide a printable printput of the the backplate so i can create my own. Just asking as the postage here to AUS is pretty much highway robbery!

Also waiting on a good LED set!
The Following User Says Thank You to Msfit32 For This Useful Post:
tripage (01-03-2017)
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
HID quality is a lot like bulb quality. Spend up front, and get a long lasting system without problems. Most people that hate on HID bought a cheaper kit. There is a reason good products like Morimoto have long warranties. They last very long!

Tripage, your LED kit looks very good, but from the shown photo there is clearly still some glare ;).
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:54 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane View Post
HID quality is a lot like bulb quality. Spend up front, and get a long lasting system without problems. Most people that hate on HID bought a cheaper kit. There is a reason good products like Morimoto have long warranties. They last very long!

Tripage, your LED kit looks very good, but from the shown photo there is clearly still some glare ;).
I can accept some glare from a drop in led setup. It's not projectors, I understand this but it's not blinding like people are saying "thinking it would be"

I have seen many lights installed in these bikes over the years. Believe me. I have installed enough Hid kits, projector kits, drop in led's. We picked these led's for that very reason and why we use/recommend these for someone wanting an upgrade headlight without the hassle of ballast/ignitor relocation or opening the headlights to perform a projector install and then have to worry about ballast/ignitor relocation.
The Following User Says Thank You to tripage For This Useful Post:
Urbane (01-05-2017)
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 11:17 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Garage
Quote:
I can accept some glare from a drop in led setup. It's not projectors, I understand this but it's not blinding like people are saying "thinking it would be"

I have seen many lights installed in these bikes over the years. Believe me. I have installed enough Hid kits, projector kits, drop in led's. We picked these led's for that very reason and why we use/recommend these for someone wanting an upgrade headlight without the hassle of ballast/ignitor relocation or opening the headlights to perform a projector install and then have to worry about ballast/ignitor relocation.
Stock CBR600RR headlights are a joke, so if the LEDs dropped in make an improvement without much glare I'm all for it. I saw your LED kit page here, they are a definite improvement over stock!
The Following User Says Thank You to Urbane For This Useful Post:
tripage (01-06-2017)
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:10 AM
Training Wheel Hero

If i were to put projectors in could i use these LED setup into said projector housings? Or is this just plausable atm?
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 10:35 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msfit32 View Post
If i were to put projectors in could i use these LED setup into said projector housings? Or is this just plausable atm?
Projectors use a specific HID bulb that isn't made in Led's to work, Some projectors you can get led's for however they will stick out pretty far and I don't believe will work on a motorcycle headlight. Or look good.

Last edited by tripage; 01-06-2017 at 01:58 PM.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Garage
the newer cars nowadays have projectors with leds. maybe its not available to buy these projectors for leds yet.

Are we there yet?!
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:52 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobstar View Post
the newer cars nowadays have projectors with leds. maybe its not available to buy these projectors for leds yet.
It is, it's just pretty expensive. Around $300 just for the projectors. We are looking at installing a set to see how they work out. Has a pretty big ballast that needs to be hidden though and I believe it gets hot so something else to worry about.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Garage
yea heat damage is the biggest concern for LEDs. That's why I am not totally confident in the longevity and efficiency of led technology for headlights yet.

Are we there yet?!
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:13 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
yea heat damage is the biggest concern for LEDs. That's why I am not totally confident in the longevity and efficiency of led technology for headlights yet.
We are testing, road testing and use testing. Working great
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:52 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I'll be getting mine in from BKMoto in about a week. I'll let you know how the workmanship is.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:32 AM
Training Wheel Hero

you can check out scotidi.

He's another guy who does these headlights. Follow him on instagram as well. His craftsman looks nice, and I'm planning on buying once I have funds.

Scotidi :: gallery
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:06 PM
Moto GP Racer

Anyone have a spare headlight they want to sell? Have a 1k headlight we can test fit in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35-095-2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	187425  
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:27 PM
Training Wheel Hero

What I wish existed were aftermarket projectors that used a Halogen bulb.Like what old R1s have and some new kawasakis have.Simple,cheap,no ballasts to install and fail,not heavy,reliable.I would not care about he efficiency or care about the colour of the light.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 10:57 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus7 View Post
What I wish existed were aftermarket projectors that used a Halogen bulb.Like what old R1s have and some new kawasakis have.Simple,cheap,no ballasts to install and fail,not heavy,reliable.I would not care about he efficiency or care about the colour of the light.
Going to see about something like this and install our led's in them to see how the perform. To give Hid's reliability and projector cutoff.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingTraut View Post
I'll be getting mine in from BKMoto in about a week. I'll let you know how the workmanship is.
Let me know if you get to order. I know his website is still up but got sketched out when I came on here to look at reviews and read that he is not responding to buyers and he haven't logged into this forum in a couple months. That's why I thought he went out of business.

Are we there yet?!
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinG916 View Post
you can check out scotidi.

He's another guy who does these headlights. Follow him on instagram as well. His craftsman looks nice, and I'm planning on buying once I have funds.

Scotidi :: gallery
I saw some photos of his work and it looks awesome! but so expensive! but i guess you get what you pay for.

Are we there yet?!
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Garage
Quote:
Anyone have a spare headlight they want to sell? Have a 1k headlight we can test fit in.
starting to look pretty good for led projectors...

Are we there yet?!
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:57 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
starting to look pretty good for led projectors...
Possibly. I would like to compare them side by side to the dual low/dual high led's to see the output and time involved with the install.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page