R6 throttle install (stuck!) - 600RR.net
07-13 RR Modifications Modifications to the '07- to 013 600RR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Arrow R6 throttle install (stuck!)

Okay, so I am trying to do the R6 throttle tube install on my 08 600rr. and I am having some issues. I adjusted the cables out as far as I could on the handle adjustment but I am still unable to get the cable to fit on the tube. I understand there is another adjuster on the bike, but I cannot find it.

Also I was reading that you need to modify the case but I don't know if you really need to. it looks like it will fit no problem (once I actually get the cables on it that is!

Any help I can get on how to get these cables on (maybe where that other adjuster is??) and more info on what needs to be modified on the housing would be greatly appreciated.

and before someone tells me to try hooking the other cable end on first, I tried and still didn't help :(

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
Mod List
-Akrapovic Slip on
-Arrow Headers
-DynoJet PCV
-DynoJet Quick Shifter
-K&N Air Filter
-Servo Delete
-PAIR Block off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:42 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is the other adjuster the one on the throttle bodies under the gas tank?

First time rider over 40. Finally made it!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:08 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Heres step by step directions that might help. It's in a 1000 forum but exact same for 600. Good luck !!

R6 1/6-turn Throttle Tube Install - Lots of pics! - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to armchairgm For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-14-2017), tary preisser (01-11-2017)

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:21 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
you need to make slack for it at the throttle body

so off with the tank, off with the airbox.

the r6 is a short turn because it has a larger cam, so you need more cable slack. you aren't likely to get it from the top.
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-14-2017)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:07 AM
Knee Dragger

I did this mod on an old bike I had. The cable slack issue was so bothersome that it wasn't worth it after I was done. I'd never do it again.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to trachito For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-14-2017)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:21 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Follow the directions posted earlier and yup, you'll need to pull the tank and airbox to get to the other adjuster and yes, you'll need to modify the housing as directed. Trust me on the housing mod.

Other people (including myself) have had JUST enough slack to make it go if I removed the throttle assembly and handlebar to get the tube in the right spot where you can slide it all together then back into the bar but that's your call to try. If what I said doesn't make sense (it's too complicated to try to put into words the maneuvering you need to do) pull the tank and airbox and go that way.

It goes. It's not easy but it does.

- '14 Honda CBR650F
- '14 Triumph Thruxton
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '04 Yamaha WR450F
- Past rides: too many to list
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by armchairgm View Post
Heres step by step directions that might help. It's in a 1000 forum but exact same for 600. Good luck !!

R6 1/6-turn Throttle Tube Install - Lots of pics! - Honda CBR1000 Forum : 1000RR.net
Thanks! In the directions he doesn't show getting more slack from the throttle bodies, I guess that's where I'll need the most help. Any other guides on how to do that? I searched but didn't see anything for the 600rr specific.

Mod List
-Akrapovic Slip on
-Arrow Headers
-DynoJet PCV
-DynoJet Quick Shifter
-K&N Air Filter
-Servo Delete
-PAIR Block off
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trachito View Post
I did this mod on an old bike I had. The cable slack issue was so bothersome that it wasn't worth it after I was done. I'd never do it again.

Good luck.
Really? You didn't find the quicker turn worth it? Hmm, maybe i'll think about whether or not I want to pursue. Removing the tank is kinda a mood killer for me since I just had everything apart a few weeks ago

Mod List
-Akrapovic Slip on
-Arrow Headers
-DynoJet PCV
-DynoJet Quick Shifter
-K&N Air Filter
-Servo Delete
-PAIR Block off
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
Follow the directions posted earlier and yup, you'll need to pull the tank and airbox to get to the other adjuster and yes, you'll need to modify the housing as directed. Trust me on the housing mod.

Other people (including myself) have had JUST enough slack to make it go if I removed the throttle assembly and handlebar to get the tube in the right spot where you can slide it all together then back into the bar but that's your call to try. If what I said doesn't make sense (it's too complicated to try to put into words the maneuvering you need to do) pull the tank and airbox and go that way.

It goes. It's not easy but it does.
Should I order different cables (maybe slightly longer?) I was originally going to get a kit, but I heard people complaining about it binding up and what not and that the R6 was cheaper and just more reliable.

Mod List
-Akrapovic Slip on
-Arrow Headers
-DynoJet PCV
-DynoJet Quick Shifter
-K&N Air Filter
-Servo Delete
-PAIR Block off
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:29 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
Might be different from the 03-06 but I did this and didn't have to remove the tank. Is there not enough cable or you can't get it into the channel while it's on the bike? If not enough cable then you may need someone to pull the cables while you put it in the channel. Another way would be to remove run/stop switch and push the tube further in put the cable on and then pull it back out.
The Following User Says Thank You to tripage For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-14-2017)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:41 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero danny View Post
Should I order different cables (maybe slightly longer?) I was originally going to get a kit, but I heard people complaining about it binding up and what not and that the R6 was cheaper and just more reliable.
Longer cables aren't needed and you'd have to strip it down to the throttle bodies anyway to replace them. At that point just adjust the stock cables for some additional slack. You don't need a 600RR specific install as it's exactly the same as the 1000RR.

You've replaced your bars, right? If you remove the throttle tube and assembly you can twist it around and get it all together off the bar, correct? If not you didn't release all the tension at the bars (there's an adjustment on the throttle housing as well) and a couple turns there can give you what's needed. Try to get all together off the bar and simply remove that clipon, slide the throttle on and you're done.

Not sure what @trachito ran into but you can easily adjust everything to work right. It's a good mod and actually helps and not hinders your ride. If you are to the point you want to replace cables order the complete HRC setup that comes with tubes, cables and the housing in the $100 range.

- '14 Honda CBR650F
- '14 Triumph Thruxton
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '04 Yamaha WR450F
The Following User Says Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-14-2017)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:41 PM
Knee Dragger

I came across the same problem the OP ran into: the cables just wouldn't go in easily. It took a lot of fidgeting but I eventually got it.

Over the years, I've done just about every mod possible, if not a version of said mod. I think I've owned 8 or more bikes in the last 11 years, and looking back at how I invested so much money and time into small mods just to sell the bike soon after doesn't really make it worth it to me. I just like to ride now, after a few standard mods, of course: exhaust, windscreen, etc.

Plus, I'm getting older and have less interested in experimenting with so many mods. I pretty much just take the bike apart when something has to be maintained or fixed, and I rarely upgrade parts, like tires and chains, until the original is worn out.
The Following User Says Thank You to trachito For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-14-2017)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
You don't need a 600RR specific install as it's exactly the same as the 1000RR.
Right. Problem is in the guide he doesn't show how to adjust the cables from the throttle bodies. which is the problem. I tried removing it from the bar already.

Mod List
-Akrapovic Slip on
-Arrow Headers
-DynoJet PCV
-DynoJet Quick Shifter
-K&N Air Filter
-Servo Delete
-PAIR Block off
The Following User Says Thank You to hero danny For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-14-2017)
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 09:09 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero danny View Post
Right. Problem is in the guide he doesn't show how to adjust the cables from the throttle bodies. which is the problem. I tried removing it from the bar already.
Service manual?

Sorry, man, wish I could be more help. I do remember it's a bitch to do it without adjusting at the throttle bodies. I know I got additional slack by loosening the nut on the cable guide as it goes into the throttle housing and turning that in a few twists but still leaving enough threads for the nut to go back on. If I had to do it over I would definitely have done it the right way and adjust at the throttle bodies.

- '14 Honda CBR650F
- '14 Triumph Thruxton
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '04 Yamaha WR450F
The Following User Says Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-14-2017)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Service manual?

Sorry, man, wish I could be more help. I do remember it's a bitch to do it without adjusting at the throttle bodies. I know I got additional slack by loosening the nut on the cable guide as it goes into the throttle housing and turning that in a few twists but still leaving enough threads for the nut to go back on. If I had to do it over I would definitely have done it the right way and adjust at the throttle bodies.
I appreciate it, I'll take your advice and do it at the throttle bodies. I'll probably tackle this job in a few weeks.

Mod List
-Akrapovic Slip on
-Arrow Headers
-DynoJet PCV
-DynoJet Quick Shifter
-K&N Air Filter
-Servo Delete
-PAIR Block off
The Following User Says Thank You to hero danny For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-14-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page