beginner for the 07 rr? - 600RR.net
07-13 RR Modifications Modifications to the '07- to 013 600RR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
beginner for the 07 rr?

I'm a 120lb (5'5'') female first-time rider, and I really like the 07 600rr but I'm worried about it being too much for me to handle the first time... although I don't know where else to go so any suggestions and information about what to look for and all would be appreciated, I'm just worried that if I go into it blind I'll end up with something I can't handle.
I'm taking the class in May and I'll be shopping soon after that, but I like having a set goal in mind...

Last edited by kjn2605; 03-06-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Moto GP Racer

I would recommend taking the class first before choosing a bike.
Your learn more about riding in the class room and will aid you in choosing the right bike for you.

post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 10:56 AM
Moto GP Racer

as somebody who has a blast and goes very quickly on an "outdated" used bike i can tell you that starting off with something smaller and used would be a good idea. sure, you could "handle" a brand new 600rr. but the chances are you are going to drop it a few times, and starting off with something with that much power, and something that expensive is only going to make riding and learning more stressfull then it needs to be. buy something smaller and used. an older 600, 500, or 250 depending on what you feel good sitting on, drop it a few times, work on you skills, and deside if riding is for you. then step up to some of the more advanced bikes. you'll be a better rider for it and have more fun while learning too.

GET YOUR TICKETS TO THE RED BULL INDIANAPOLIS GP!! go to www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com or call (800) 822-INDY
post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 11:02 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
EX 500 or EX 250 would be a better first bike. I wouldn't go this big the first time. Get a few years under your belt. Trust me, those two bikes are plenty fast at the begining.
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 11:04 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

since ur only 5'5" i would imagine you are gonna be barely able to tip toe when ur sitting on the bike. As for a first time rider, barely tall enough to get a grip when standing it up, on a brand new 600cc sportbike, and costing $9500; i would be very concerned as to you safety and am willing to state that it wont take very long before that brand new bike becomes damaged.

im not gonna tell you to get a 250 or somthing small because thats not what i did or believed in. although i can say and agree with 99% of the people here and say take the MSF at the very least. Find someone with patience to teach you, and seriously look into insurance and/or financing on a brand new fully insured sportbike before you get your hopes up..
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpowers View Post
EX 500 or EX 250 would be a better first bike. I wouldn't go this big the first time.
Plus one on those bike choices, and add the GS500 to the list...
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 11:49 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
The Suzuki SV650 is a great starter bike and fairly inexpensive. After you take the MSF course try and pick one of those up used. They have a low seat height and plenty of power. Not to mention lots of upgrade parts to get your addiction started. Then once you have "outgrown" that, pick up a 600RR.

First make an "S".............for snake, uh.................I mean.............dragon. Then a more different "S".
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 12:13 PM
World Superbike Racer

Wow, no leg humpers....
Take the class and take it slow.

2005 600RR Black Metallic (I miss it already)
2008 GSX-R750
http://www.myspace.com/bigxboix510
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I would definitely go with a cheaper bike to start out with. My first bike was an $800 1983 Honda Shadow, which i rode for a year and resold for $500 and then from there moved on to a 600RR. So i would recommend getting something inexpensive that you know you can easily resell. That style of bike I fell is probably easier to learn on than a sport bike. My wifes first bike was a 2004 GS500. She is 5' and we shaved the seat down as much as we could and it worked out great.
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Pocketbike Racer

After your MSF class, your objectives should be on building on the skills you learned in class and to make them instinctive when riding. Getting a hot bike should be the least of your concerns. Can you handle a 600RR? Probably. But if all things are equal, in 1 year, you'll learn more and will be a much better rider if you're on one of the beginner bikes vs a latest generation supersport bike.

I would also recommend the Ninja500, SV650, or GS500F as your first learner bike. Those bikes are very forgiving and will not scare you as you build your riding skills. If you drop them, they're not going to cost you an arm and a leg to replace the plastics. Furthermore, their power is more than enough for a beginner. You will learn much more when you're not scared that you're going to crash.

Some of us have decades of riding experience and have seen new riders come and go. I hope you take our advice seriously. We're not trying to be condescending. We're just trying to tell you how it really is. Bottom line, develop your skills as a rider. Build your experience. Then hop on a supersport bike.
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Training Wheel Hero

What they all said...

My first bike was a 1981 Suzuki GS850 which although it weighed a freaking ton, it was a good bike to learn on and it didn't really matter much if it went down. Which it did, courtesy of my brother trying to move it into the garage, we've since strictly regulated him to 4 wheels only. My dad ended up selling last year for uh... $50 bucks to a friend of his. All the guy did to it was buy a new battery and a clutch and rides the damn thing all over the place. Point being, there are plently of cheap options out there that just make more sense to learn on, not saying it can't be done on a RR... but thats a potential $10,000 mistake on a machine that has the capability to bite you in the a$$ real quick.

'06 600RR Red/Black
DIY Fender Elim.
LP Aero Lens Flushmounts (Smoke)
CA Integrated Tail (Smoke)
LED Flasher Relay
Black Painted Windscreen
Woodcraft Frame Sliders
Pazzo Levers
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 12:40 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Power isn't the issue you are going to have. Being only 5'-5" tall, the bike will most likely be too big for you (literally). If you got one, you'd have to spend some cash on lowering it to make it easier for you to manipulate at stops. The smaller CC bikes mentioned above (Kawi EX250 and 500) are great starter bikes. They have a 29.3" and 30.5" seat height (respectively) as opposed to a 32.3" height on the '07 RR. It'll make it a little easier for you to get your ducks on the pavement. Plus they have enough power to keep you happy and get great gas mileage (from what I hear). Everyone is right tho, being your first bike, you will most likely drop it at some point. I know some ppl never have, but odds are it will happen. Might forget to put kickstand down when u get off, lose grip or balance when rolling it around, put your foot down in a puddle of oil at a stop light...etc. You will feel much better if it happened on a used 250 than you would on an '07 600RR.

If you are dead set on a 600, go for something a little older, say a 1999-2002 600. I started out on a 2001 GSXR600 and was totally fine. It was very forgiving by todays standards, but still kept up with most of my friends newer 600's on group rides. Either way, I wish you the best of luck in whatever decision you make.

post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Moto GP Racer

Overall, You will know more about what you want after taking that class. I doubt the RR will be the bike for you right off. My lady will be starting on the Kawi EX500 or 250. People start all different ways. The best way is to learn the clutch on a dirt bike while riding in the dirt. The 600RR is not really a relaxing bike to try and learn on. You need to be thinking about your timing in terms of braking, signals, lights, etc. You need to be comfortable as much as possible while you are learning. I got my first sportbike last year. I've been riding enduro bikes on the street for 18 years but I am a noob to the actual sportbike. I can tell you that it takes a little getting used to and I am still learning.
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Knee Dragger

just sat on the 07 and it is shorter than my 06. i barely flat foot my 06 and im 5'7 so if you are 5'5 and rock a nice heel (1") you should be fine. i weigh bout 145 and the 06 was my first bike ever, but ive rode before, and by the grace of God i have been fine. like the others said take the class and ride YOUR ride. oh and the 07 is so light feel like you pick it up and carry it with you. Dam i wanna trade but...
post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Jay_ View Post
Power isn't the issue you are going to have. Being only 5'-5" tall, the bike will most likely be too big for you (literally). If you got one, you'd have to spend some cash on lowering it to make it easier for you to manipulate at stops. The smaller CC bikes mentioned above (Kawi EX250 and 500) are great starter bikes. They have a 29.3" and 30.5" seat height (respectively) as opposed to a 32.3" height on the '07 RR. It'll make it a little easier for you to get your ducks on the pavement. Plus they have enough power to keep you happy and get great gas mileage (from what I hear). Everyone is right tho, being your first bike, you will most likely drop it at some point. I know some ppl never have, but odds are it will happen. Might forget to put kickstand down when u get off, lose grip or balance when rolling it around, put your foot down in a puddle of oil at a stop light...etc. You will feel much better if it happened on a used 250 than you would on an '07 600RR.

If you are dead set on a 600, go for something a little older, say a 1999-2002 600. I started out on a 2001 GSXR600 and was totally fine. It was very forgiving by todays standards, but still kept up with most of my friends newer 600's on group rides. Either way, I wish you the best of luck in whatever decision you make.
Wait! I'm 5'4 and 3/4th of an inch! I can touch both feet down on my 06 600RR. True, I'm only getting both balls of my feet down, but that is enough. I can put one foot up and get one whole foot down that way. My 600R enduro was taller than this bike and I did fine. Although, not the bike I'd suggest to a person who is 5'5 and never ridden before. It is something though that she can work up to and the height issue...I think she just made it like I did. No need to talk about lowering either, that f's things up.
post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Moto GP Racer

post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I also recommend starting on a bike that you don't care too much about. My first bike was a 92 CBR F2, it was a salvage bike and it already had a couple scrathes on it so when I tipped it I wasn't too mad at myself. Most new riders will tip thier first bike at some point.

Mas.
post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 02:26 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
c'mon guys...if this was a dude posting up (which it could be, who knows), you'd all be ripping him a new one..

ur 5'5" 120 and never rode a bike and are thinking about the 07 600rr? yeah, good luck with that. take the msf course and talk to the instructors about what would be a good fit. they will steer you in the appropriate direction. personally, i would recommened the kawi 250 or 500.

you guys are forgetting that a 120 lb chick is nowhere near as strong as a 120 lb guy. it's not sexism, it's science.

'03 600rRepsol: '06 front end, ss lines, integrated taillight, scotts damper, pc3usb, 12000k HID's, lots of powdercoating

Trackmagic Dragon 80cc shifter kart: CR80R motor/6spd with Swedetech components, Mikuni VM 28mm pumparound carb, Brembo brake/stainless line, RLV titanium pipe, Deepseat.

Ask me about rear handbrake adaptors, which allow you to incorporate a rear handbrake with the stock rear master cylinder!
post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 02:36 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetone View Post

you guys are forgetting that a 120 lb chick is nowhere near as strong as a 120 lb guy. it's not sexism, it's science.

She might be on the juice!!!
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Training Wheel Hero

'06 600RR Red/Black
DIY Fender Elim.
LP Aero Lens Flushmounts (Smoke)
CA Integrated Tail (Smoke)
LED Flasher Relay
Black Painted Windscreen
Woodcraft Frame Sliders
Pazzo Levers
post #21 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll definitely take them into consideration. A lot of my friends are riders but they're all young and they want me to get the fastest bike I can find so I can keep up with them(which isn't really a concern with me, I'll learn on my own time)so I wanted opinions of people who were more... objective. So thank you so much!

Also, I know I can touch both feet on an 06 gixxer and kind of pedal it around without a problem, and I can have my bike lowered if I need to free of charge, my concern was really about weight and if I was big enough to control a bike more than touch my feet to the ground...

I'm going down today to sit on a few and see how I feel, I'll definitely check out all of your suggestions. Thanks! And any more suggestions are welcome...
post #22 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 04:13 PM
Pocketbike Racer

I'm 5'7" and let me tell you, it's an absolute pain if you park in the wrong place. If you park, nose in, in a space that has a slight decline, walking it back sucks. I can almost get both feet flat, but not quite. I've been seen walking next to my bike pulling it back up a hill. Not a fun feeling, because it's not so well balanced when you're doing that. I'd go with something with a smaller seat height, if not a slower bike to begin with altogether.
post #23 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Pocketbike Racer

there is a thread about 600rr(06 model) in the general discussion as a first bike and there are some good points made there so i wouldn't duplicate it. but people made too big a deal out of the both feet touching the ground. yes it makes you feel more comfortable when you are stationary but in reality all you need is one foot down when stopped. and when you are moving you better not have either foot down. lowering the bike will change the ride characteristics and is generally not recommended. as for you weight(120) it is fairly light and there has been complaints about the rear suspension being too stiff even at the lightest setting. also don't let your friends pressure you into getting the fastest thing on 2 wheels. if they care about your safety they wouldn't.
post #24 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
A lot of my friends are riders but they're all young and they want me to get the fastest bike I can find so I can keep up with them
this is alittle scary. sounds like some more mature riding buddies would be a good first mod for your new bike. ;)

ride safe.

GET YOUR TICKETS TO THE RED BULL INDIANAPOLIS GP!! go to www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com or call (800) 822-INDY
post #25 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 04:39 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelfF2 View Post
this is alittle scary. sounds like some more mature riding buddies would be a good first mod for your new bike. ;)

ride safe.

........+1

post #26 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 05:16 PM
Knee Dragger

dont lower your bike is changes its handling characterisitcs and its ground clearance, it would be like shortining the wings on a plane and wondering why it doesnt fly and preform like it should. my 2cents as an instructor in my city
post #27 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caball88 View Post
there is a thread about 600rr(06 model) in the general discussion as a first bike and there are some good points made there so i wouldn't duplicate it. but people made too big a deal out of the both feet touching the ground. yes it makes you feel more comfortable when you are stationary but in reality all you need is one foot down when stopped. and when you are moving you better not have either foot down. lowering the bike will change the ride characteristics and is generally not recommended. as for you weight(120) it is fairly light and there has been complaints about the rear suspension being too stiff even at the lightest setting. also don't let your friends pressure you into getting the fastest thing on 2 wheels. if they care about your safety they wouldn't.
Yep, I'm 124lbs and the rear is too stiff. All I need is to swap out that rear shock I guess. It's an easy fix really...not worth making it a decision breaker or maker. I think she should look for a low miles bike that is a few years old and more her speed/skill level, she has no need for the 07 anyway. The 07 is more money and we haven't seen yet what the first run flaws are going to be.
post #28 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelfF2 View Post

ride safe.
+100000000

If you value your life, don't listen to your friends.
post #29 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Moto GP Racer

just one more thing, and that's to reitterate the "fun-factor" side of my suggestion. alot of people think that if you get a smaller bike it won't be as fast and thus not as fun. but it's actually the opposite. on a smaller bike you gain more confidence, your skills improve, and pretty soon you're flogging the thing having a great time. only after this point is it more fun to get a faster bike. being a new rider on a bike that's much better then you only makes the ride more stressfull and difficult. not only is the fear and possiblity of getting spit on your head greatly increased, but the ramifcations of such an event are greater as well.

post #30 of 73 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Pocketbike Racer

A couple of things I want to touch on.

Quote:
my concern was really about weight and if I was big enough to control a bike
Riding a motorcycle isn't so much about weight as it is about technique, skills, instinct, and a little bit of luck. You can weigh a whole 90lbs and can still ride a 1000cc litre bike. Look at the MotoGP racers. And vice versa. Having a light bike doesn't always mean you can control it. Staying alive on a bike isn't so much about controlling the bike. It's more about controlling yourself. (I'm having a zen moment)

Quote:
I can touch both feet on an 06 gixxer
The Gixxer600 is a tad lower than the 07 600RR. A friend of mine just picked one up Sunday and I was there helping him decide on a new 600. While being able to touch the ground with both feet is not an issue with stopping and riding, it is a HUGE issue when you need to move the bike around on less than ideal surfaces that is slippery, with sand, water, oil, or with slight elevation. Lose your footing and that puppy's going down.

Quote:
A lot of my friends are riders but they're all young and they want me to get the fastest bike I can find so I can keep up with them
Your riding buddies aren't looking out for your best interest. From your profile, you're 19 and your friends are "all young". I'm curious how much younger are they and what are they riding? What kind of riding are they doing?

Btw, the OEM stubby pipe on the Gixxer 600 has a nice throaty growl, almost like aftermarket. I'm like it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page