Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Yoshimura RS-5 Rebuild...Dont do it.

7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  OzMoto 
#1 ·
I watched some rebuild videos on the RS-5 exhuast and how to rebuild them. I purchased a kit and was going to take the end cap off as shown in the video, but could not get the end cap off and ended up with the rivets buzzing around inside the exhaust after drilling them out. Covered in fiberglass trying to stuff a pillowcase of fiberglass inside a muffler all beat up on the ends because they were siliconed together. Do yourself a favor and have Yoshimura re-build your muffler its not worth the trouble and you will end up with a piece of junk.

#4 · (Edited)
Also not to belittle you but I've done my Yoshi on another bike until I got it squared away. I can do it now form start to finish in 30 seconds (whoops minutes!).

On my first attempt I used ceramic fiber. It was excellent. It also did not last. Ultimately it blew out the tailpipe leaving me with an open (and very light) muffler!

My second attempt was much smarter. Stainless steel wool packed in very tight around the core with a thin layer of ceramic fiber on the outter portions. This resulted in long lasting baffling and a cool to the touch muffler. I knew I would get it sooner or later.

I steered away from the pillows. I was trying to approximate OE Honda lifespan on the last attempt.

#5 ·
Also not to belittle you but I've done my Yoshi on another bike until I got it squared away. I can do it now form start to finish in 30 seconds.

On my first attempt I used ceramic fiber. It was excellent. It also did not last. Ultimately it blew out the tailpipe leaving me with an open (and very light) muffler!

My second attempt was much smarter. Stainless steel wool packed in very tight around the core with a thin layer of ceramic fiber on the outter portions. This resulted in long lasting baffling and a cool to the touch muffler. I knew I would get it sooner or later.

I steered away from the pillows. I was trying to approximate OE Honda lifespan on the last attempt.
Wow! 30 seconds. Takes me that long to drill one rivet out. I like the idea of the stainless steel wool and ceramic fiber.

#14 ·
When I shortened my Jardine, I found the packing was a black solid rock hard lump, sliding back and forward about 2 inches inside the can. Could say was no packing at all left.
I wrapped the perforated core with a 1/4" thick sheet of SS wool (looked more like brass, gold color :dontknow:) from when I butchered my OEM WRF muffler. Tightened it down with tie wire and wrapped around that with glass sheet wrapping, then tiewire again on outside and slid into the can.
The metal wool sheet should shield and prevent the wool from burning up for a lot longer.
Well that is the theory anyway. :ponder:

#15 ·
I repacked my custom slipon (similar to Jardine) with just sheets of fibreglass packing I bought from Honda. Was a PITA trying to put the core back in. I got very itchy. Haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.