Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

MOTYDESIGN Light weight Battery

31K views 127 replies 49 participants last post by  Moeman 
#1 · (Edited)
Let me start by saying Brian (BrowningBuck ) is really great to deal with his customer service is top notch :banger:, his products regardless of being the MotyDesign lightweight battery or the MotyDesign Cluster led upgrade / Gear indicator are Brillaint & top notch :shakehand , shipping with US postal service is fast you will get your oder within 4 to 5 days of your order tracking numbers will be provided as well just ask :cruising: he will gladly provide such info :thumbup:

I recently received my MotyDesign Lightweight battery and boy OH boy was i impressed talking about lightweight , size , asm , design , how easy it is to install. The package came complete with evreything needed even the heat shrink wrap was there and a huge portion of it too not just a piece to barely secure the ends of the wirings connections like other companies out there that give you so limited supply of what is needed to do the job right :spank: even though you pay top dollar for their product :cursin: this simply tells us all that he really cares and is dedicated to offer top notch product & being an RR addict like most of us who loves his bikes and uses nothing but the best parts customer service and a brilliant working product is what he strives for

Brian thank you so much look forward to another review when i get my cluster today or tomorrow i can not wait :rocker:

Here is a picture of the battery installed on Miss O'Seven yes folks i did shrink the heat shrink
after i took the picture

See less See more
#34 ·
Im another happy customer all the way from Down Under Australia, Only took 8 days to get here. Thanks heaps

#35 ·
Thanks for the review Moe!!

After reading all of this and debating to get one, I've decided.

I'm ordering an 8 cell battery right now!!!

I'll post up my impression of it when I install it. I'm ordering it right now, 12am Tuesday night, Local Hawaii Time.

Brian, look out for my order! I'm ordering within the next 20 minutes...!

:banger:

#40 ·
Thanks!!!

Hopefully Saturday. But Monday will be fine also, I'm still waiting on my HID's and delay relay anyway.

haha, it's hit or miss to predict shipping out here. Sometimes it's amazingly fast, sometimes it's snail status.

Thanks again BB.

How's that SV project coming along??

#41 ·
Which battery are you guys getting? The 4cell or 8cell? Battery crapped out this weekend and looks like MOTY battery is the way to go...

I'm running Tripage LED pegs and HIDs

thx

#42 ·
personnally if i had a 2nd time around with the MOTY battery i would go the 2 x4 cell, as then simply the space in the battery compartment is kinda left bare, i tansferred my PCIII from the rear seat cowl to next to the battery standing up to fill the space.

But simply having the 2x4 cell imagine you get a flat battery, left lights on, stator died etc and your in the middle of no where, wouldnt you wish and pay anything to have a spare battery then and there. This then eliminates that problem. Simply unhook the cable from one of the 4 cell battery and plug it into your spare one there.

#44 ·
Got my battery today!!!

Thanks Brian, you called it right, it arrived today, a Monday.

Awesome fast shipping. Left Utah Wedndesday night, got here to Hawaii on Monday.

That's 3 business days!!!

#45 ·
I installed it just now, super easy installation, and the included heat shrink, hardware, and quick disconnects are make the package even better. It's so much lighter than the stock battery and it makes for a lot of room in the battery compartment.

Anyone needing a new battery should definitely buy this product. It's awesome, the build quality is superb, and the included accessories make Brian's product the best.

#46 ·
Sweet! Just ordered the 8cell thanks to your suggestions. BrowningBuck also recommended the 8cell for me

Hopefully it'll arrive by this weekend :thumbup:

#48 · (Edited)
OK a couple more questions. Is this a better battery than stock when it comes to HIDs? Also do you think the 8 or 12 cell is better when running a Scorpio alarm? Do you need or can you use a trickle charger with this? Thanks BB and Moeman for all the info.

#49 ·
Never mind you all answered my question on the other thread. Thanks

#51 · (Edited)
Most batteries come with 5 years warranty, prorated. Does this battery come with a comparable warranty since the price costs more than the OEM battery?

Secondly, how does this battery compare to https://www.batterygiant.com/displayitem.asp?ID=YTZ10S? I'm a bit skeptical since BB's battery is "homemade" while the other batteries are made by an actual company.

Though there are great reviews and I've been reading pages after pages about MOTY's battery, but the details are very limited and the cost is way up there. What kind of "new technology" does MOTY battery has that others don't? If someone confirmed that it's lithium instead of lead. I'm sold.

#54 ·
Most batteries come with 5 years warranty, prorated. Does this battery come with a comparable warranty since the price costs more than the OEM battery?

Secondly, how does this battery compare to https://www.batterygiant.com/displayitem.asp?ID=YTZ10S? I'm a bit skeptical since BB's battery is "homemade" while the other batteries are made by an actual company.

Though there are great reviews and I've been reading pages after pages about MOTY's battery, but the details are very limited and the cost is way up there. What kind of "new technology" does MOTY battery has that others don't? If someone confirmed that it's lithium instead of lead. I'm sold.

As stated on his site, they are LiFePO4 (Lithiom Iron Phosphate). LiFePO4 batteries are still considered "New Technology" in this application.

Honestly his price is compairable or cheaper than all the other super-light battery manufacturers out there like speedcell. You cant compair it to a lead battery like in your link because its not apples to apples.

How do they compair? We'll they last about 4 times longer when cared for than the battery in the link you posted. They never need to be put on a tender during storage and they are significantly lighter and smaller than stock and the lead battery you posted in the link. If you dont care about any of those features than I woudnt waste the money.

#55 ·
Thanks for the clarification. If it lasts 4 times longer than the Lead Battery, how come MOTY's battery only comes with 90 days warranty and not 5 years like the Lead Battery? Are they Japan made or China made battery?

I'm not trying to be difficult here. I'm just trying to understand "why" and justify MOTY's battery is worth the spending.

#58 ·
Thanks for the clarification. If it lasts 4 times longer than the Lead Battery, how come MOTY's battery only comes with 90 days warranty and not 5 years like the Lead Battery? Are they Japan made or China made battery? A lead battery with 5yrs Warranty?/ since when? normally its a 1 or 2 yrs warranty depending on what battery you get and thats normally the CAR batteries that carry the 2 yr but that covers the $$$ top range battery. Does any small business have such warranty plans like a year generally "NO"

I'm not trying to be difficult here. I'm just trying to understand "why" and justify MOTY's battery is worth the spending.
Now i can testify my bike was a 1 in a million that had a tight stator wiring issue, I had the 4 cell battery and i cant recall the exact term but BB sorted me out and gave me a fantastic discount (replacement/upgrade to a 8 cell) as i sent in the video of my issue and he had the issue once before. As the 4 cell had issues, it still started the bike so no issues there just needed a bit more oomph due to the tightly wound starter

I couldnt praise BB enough for this replacement and his help. Buy it and you wont regret it, i have been using the 8cell happily for the past 6 months and no issues, i ride my bike every day, start it prob 5x a day.

#57 ·
Just installed a full Leo system on my bike and had to trim the battery tray ( about 1/4 of the whole tray ). Relocated the fuse box to the battery tray. After measuring I should be able to fit the 8 cell along with the fuse box and cable in the battery spot. I heard great things about this and I look forward to getting it together. Thanks again BB for the quick reply and responses. Will keep this updated after the install.

#60 ·
Hey I manufacture the battery here in Utah, the cells are genuine a123 cells. Cranking ability can be seen on my website under the vid tab next to the spec.

#66 · (Edited)
Well after 1 year, over 12000 miles and sitting in the garage for a week because the rear tire I ordered was delayed she fired right up and I have the pre pre-production prototype. I think what you guys should know about the batteries is they were designed by nasa for the space program, put into production by dewalts battery maker in large numbers for there industrial power tools, then utilized by weight fanatic Durban who at the time was charging 700+ because the cells were non existent - then by purchasing dewalt battery packs the a123 cells were stripped down and have been used in everything from rc planes to road racing cars - even the worlds fastest electric motorcycle is powered by a123 cells. Formula 1 cars now are using a version of this technology as well. At this point you can either A: build one your self out of now commercially available cells and materials and do a good job or light your bike on fire by not balancing them correctly and using flammable polystyrene wrap like so many idiots have done - pay 50% more for speed-cells product which is basically the same or buy from BB. seems like BB is the smart bet. What I can say is there have been only two mods that you can immediately feel just sitting on the bike a 6inch rear tire and this battery, the tire gives stability and the battery gives mad juke power.

#67 ·
WELL PUT STORMY!!!! he is 100% accurate on all accounts... well minus the balancing (these cells are now proven to be great under non balanced situations such as this) (by un balanced i mean + or - .9 v, and ive never been able to find one of mine out more than +or - .1v)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.