Honda CBR 600RR Forum banner

Ogio Tail Bag Review

19K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  Charles1927 
#1 ·
I purchased this product because... I was sick of carrying a backpack every time I wanted to go pick up a single cheese burger. Additionally, I go to college and books get quite heavy even with a quality backpack. However, its also very easily removed and does not rub against the paint at all.

I bought the bag from Powersport Superstore and its available all over the internet. Technically I bought it from Amazon and used their Amazon Prime (Free for 1 year for students). This is great. I ordered it on Tuesday and it arrived Thursday morning. That's quick for UPS, Amazon, and Powersports Superstore. I was blown away it arrived so quickly.

I paid $59.01 for the bag, with free shipping from Amazon Prime

This bag absolutely met my expectations (But did not exceed, see below for why not) I installed it using a carabiner holding all 4 straps underneath the seat in about forty five seconds. It was stupid easy. Its very solid and very well made. I'm totally surprised at how sturdy and solid this bag feels.

I would buy this bag again for other people as gifts, its that good. It has a great sporty look to it (I think 99% of bags out there look totally stupid on CBRs) and will not rub any paint. Win win.

As you can see, all the straps are neat and clean - nothing overhangs. Also, this pic is with the bag extended. It adds about 2.5" of height to the inside.

Everyone seemed to post pics of this bag in my google searches, but no one included pics of inside the bag. I hope this helps anyone who was in my position. It has the main center pouch, a small pouch on the top flap, and two side pouches.

See less See more
#2 ·
Why it did not exceed my expectations, everyone said it would not fit a large laptop but I hoped mine would fit. As you can see, I got my 17.5" diagnolly measured HP laptop in the bag and it zips up however thats all that would fit in the bag and it really stretches it to the limits. I would not ride around with my laptop in my bag like this for anything more than to go down the street.

Here is with the extension closed and a large calculus book and a 1" binder. I could easily fit another large text book in there. Its unfortunate I couldn't get my laptop in there, that'd be money.

Nice little surpise - a rain pouch. Seems pretty legit, but I never trust water proofing abilities without testing first. I'll report back next big rain storm.

Also, something I did not mention, you can easily unclip the bag and take it inside with you. It would literally take 2 seconds to do so, just leaving the clips underneath the seat on the bike. I would not do that if I planned on riding however, because the clips would then bang against the bike in the wind. It does make it nice to carry the bag inside with you if you don't want it to get stolen or want to actually have a way to bring the stuff you carried in the bag with you.

#5 · (Edited)
No problem man, you're gonna love it. I actually messed with it some more last night. Now it is strapped so securely I can rock the bike with the bag. And it doesn't touch the paint at all.

Also I cut all the excess strap off underneath the seat. Now the seat locks in just as easily as when the bag isn't even on it. Make sure you use a thin carabiner too. Otherwise it will keep the seat up. Mine is only like 1.5" long and 1/4" wide, its actually for a key chain.

Edit: Here's a pic

#8 ·
Thanks for the pictures of the inside and examples of what it can fit. Might have finally sold me on a tail bag.

#10 ·
#14 ·
Just tighten that sucker down.

You know The "Flap" underneath the bag? I folded that underneath to make the bottom "Taller" so the plastic strap connectors stick straight up and down.

With the straps cinched down tight, the bottom folded underneath and the plastic strap connectors *barely* poking through the seat (You should not have much slack at all) its almost impossible for the connectors to touch the paint.

There will still be some movement in the bag, you're not cementing it to the seat, but it shouldn't be flopping around.

Let me know and I can provide more pics.

#15 · (Edited)
You need to pick up the rest of the set and do a review. I am having a hard time finding a good review on the saddlebags.

Nicely done.
The odds of me getting the saddle bags are pretty slim. Maybe in the future, but if I needed that much cargo I would have bought a bike for touring in the first place. I'd get the saddle bags for occasional use if they weren't $135.

Additionally, after looking at pics of them I'm not sure how they would mount to my bike. They would definitely hang off the plastic but if its that same soft rubberish backing thats on the tail bag I wouldn't worry to much about that - what I would worry about is how I would connect them underneath the tail assembly/exhaust.

Edit

It appears the straps just slide through the piece on the tail bag (might not make sense to those who don't have an OGIO in front of them - but trust me, its designed for it)

That would mount pretty easily, but I still don't know how I would keep them from swinging inward and flapping around in the wind.

#20 ·
Book marking right meow, Im in the market for something like this.

#27 ·
After about 6 months and 8000 miles I have some updates:

Basically - the bag is still holding up just as good as it was on Day 1. Functionally there is no fraying, no messed up zippers, nothing has come loose, nothing is ripped, torn, etc.

Cosmetically the bag is showing some signs of sun bleaching. It is very very very faint but I have noticed that it has a slight "orange" tint to it in certain lighting conditions. I doubt anyone else would even notice it. I never leave the bag on it in the sun but obviously when I am riding it gets exposed and I ride a lot and 90% of the time I have the bag with me.

Other than that it is still going strong despite having a book that did not fit shoved in it 4x a week.

I think it says a lot that after 8,000 miles, countless road trips and being completely stuffed to the brim its in great shape.

And I literally mean completely stuffed.

#28 ·
nice review.... :thumbup:

#29 ·
Hi there, I have a Windows Surface Pro 4 in a laptop bag. The laptop bag measures 14.5" diagonally. Would this fit in? I was wondering if you could do this complete stranger to you a wonderful favour of measuring to see if my laptop in its bag would fit at the bottom? The dimensions are 13" X 9" (length x width) and 14.5" diagonally. I would really appreciate this!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.