600RR.net - View Single Post - What kind of gear for off track use?
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:14 AM
Miweber929
World Superbike Racer

The more protection you have, the better off you'll be so a 1 or 2 piece suit is not out if the question and quality leather is about the best you can get for your protection in a crash.

Having said that I live in the real world and commute to work and other activities so that's not always practical. Normally I wear: helmet always, a textile jacket of some sort (I have several, depending on weather or destination I pick the correct one), quality leather gloves, Kevlar riding jeans and over the ankle boots, either my Alpinestars or a pair of work style leather boots. You need impact protection and sliding protection and your hands and ankles get beat up a lot in most crashes. I have a one piece suit for track days and a couple leather jackets for when I feel the need to wear them but most of the time the textile stuff works great and is my daily setup.

Note a few things: buy "quality" stuff, not necessarily expensive, make sure it fits, there is a difference between snug, tight and too tight, replace or repair stuff after a wreck and be wary of deals too good to be true as there are a lot of knockoffs floating around. However just because something costs more doesn't make it better; lots of great quality, cost effective, good protection options out there.

Shop used and closeouts for your first few sets of gear, you'll discover what fits and what doesn't as well as what you are comfortable in in the first few buys so blowing your load on a Dainese leather jacket for your first one usually has a person selling it shortly after for the correct size, fit or material that works for you.

- '14 Honda CBR650F
- '14 Triumph Thruxton
- '13 Kymco Super 8 150
- '04 Yamaha WR450F
- Past rides: too many to list
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
dixon cider (01-10-2017), Noobstar (01-11-2017)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome